Home

Orlando Arcia Arm?

This is a discussion on Orlando Arcia Arm? within the MLB The Show Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Rosters
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-28-2024, 04:13 PM   #1
MVP

slthree's Arena

OVR: 15
Orlando Arcia Arm?

The latest Live Roster has his arm at 71

How is that possible? He has a cannon and is known for his strong arm.

EDIT: Is there a way to edit the title of the thread because there was a typo in his last name.

When the Braves played the Red Sox in Spring Training the crew was a Red Sox crew and I've of the guys in the both was in Milwaukee when Arcia came up and he was racing about his "rocket arm".

He's a freaking highlight reel of laser throws, even when off balance.

What rating would you give his arm?

Last edited by slthree; 03-28-2024 at 04:26 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-28-2024, 04:18 PM   #2
I smell sulfur...

Kodii Rockets's Arena

OVR: 12
re: Orlando Arcia Arm?

Probably a 72.

Follow this link to view 10 Yard Fight on Operation Sports >>10YF on OS
Old 03-28-2024, 04:21 PM   #3
MVP

Madden08PCgmr's Arena

OVR: 0

Its much harder to rate infielders than outfielders.

For the OF, you can rate based on assists and hold %

What objective metric can be used for infielders, other than the eye test?
Old 03-28-2024, 05:17 PM   #4
MVP

slthree's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodii Rockets
Probably a 72.
I feel like 72 is way too low. I watched him play nearly every game last year. Many times the broadcast that I could get on my MLB at bat app was the other team and even their commentators always remarked on his strong arm.

I don't want to rate the guy at 95 for arm strength because I don't want to be a homer. But, whether it be what other players say about him or my own eye test, he seems to be in the top echelon for arm strength. He also has an incredibly accurate arm.

I don't want to view this from Braves colored glasses. That's why I'm asking the community.

I'd be happy to leave it at 71 if anybody could point me to some more objective data.

"Arcia is a Gold Glove-caliber defender known for his agility, range, and strong arm".

That's from a Mets website. I'm having trouble finding arm strength data.
Old 03-28-2024, 05:53 PM   #5
MVP

decga's Arena

OVR: 12

Orlando has always been a plus defender, with the range and rifle arm. I gave him 75-80. I am using the Braves when I start my franchise, so I am doing my edits now.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-28-2024, 06:25 PM   #6
MVP

slthree's Arena

Re: Orlando Garcia Arm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by decga
Orlando has always been a plus defender, with the range and rifle arm. I gave him 75-80. I am using the Braves when I start my franchise, so I am doing my edits now.
Pirates shortstop has a 99 arm. Yes, he's an alien. No, Arcia isn't 99 but he's got to be in the 90's, no? I've been through every SS in the game and there are too many rated above Orlando?

I'm puzzled why he's not at 90+ by default. When i hear players say he has one of, if not THE, strongest arm in the game, how are we supposed to process that? Oneil Cruz is a 99. If we rate Arcia at 80, that puts him 20 points behind Cruz and leaves several other shortstops with stronger rated arms. Thats hard to grasp.

I have so many other things to do but I'm stuck on this.
Old 03-28-2024, 06:59 PM   #7
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Just looking at the Baseball Savant data I think I see how they got to this rating. Baseball Savant Arm Strength metrics are the average velocity of the top 5% throws that season.

In 2021 , they had him at 91.9 which was near the top if he'd had enough throws to qualify,

In 2022 it was 83.2 which was below average

In 2023 it was 86.9 which was slightly above average. (Ranked #18 amongst all Shortstops)

Overall they (Baseball Savant) have his arm strength rating at 61 (on their scale 50 is average). I think The Show uses these or similiar metrics and does some sort of weighted average over the previous 3 seasons. Or at least they did at one point. That would kind of make sense as to where his rating is in the game.

Me personally I see their (Baseball Savant) current rating of 61 and his past 3 years numbers and would probably rate him mid 70's to lower 80's but that's purely my opinion.

Last edited by bkrich83; 03-28-2024 at 07:13 PM.
Old 03-28-2024, 07:26 PM   #8
MVP

slthree's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
Just looking at the Baseball Savant data I think I see how they got to this rating. Baseball Savant Arm Strength metrics are the average velocity of the top 5% throws that season.

In 2021 , they had him at 91.9 which was near the top if he'd had enough throws to qualify,

In 2022 it was 83.2 which was below average

In 2023 it was 86.9 which was slightly above average. (Ranked #18 amongst all Shortstops)

Overall they (Baseball Savant) have his arm strength rating at 61 (on their scale 50 is average). I think The Show uses these or similiar metrics and does some sort of weighted average over the previous 3 seasons. Or at least they did at one point. That would kind of make sense as to where his rating is in the game.

Me personally I see their (Baseball Savant) current rating of 61 and his past 3 years numbers and would probably rate him mid 70's to lower 80's but that's purely my opinion.
Fantastic explanation. Thank you. Great find on your part.

I appreciate you jumping over and taking the time to weigh in. I'm gonna rate him at 82 and call it a day

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Rosters »