Home

What teams and why

This is a discussion on What teams and why within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 07-22-2024, 02:53 AM   #1
Rookie

Bgrd1080's Arena

OVR: 1
What teams and why

Not all of us can stick to one team all year so tp help the indecisive franchise owner as we begin the 2nd half of the year let's throw out some suggestions. Which teams are you using? Which teams have you found the most fun with. I've had a blast with The Mariners as no trade seems unrealistic with Dipoto at the helm. The Pirates and that 3 headed pitching monster is fun too as you try small ball to get that playoff spot.
Are you brave enough to use Miami or the White Sox? As a guy who tries to play a game of every series at the minimum those 2 teams are too big of a rebuild for me. But what do you guys think? What's keeping you going this year?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-22-2024, 07:44 AM   #2
Rookie

MannybeingManny's Arena

Re: What teams and why

Been playing with the giants. Six games behind the dodgers as we start August. At one point I had a three game lead in the division. Got as low as ten games behind. A 13 game swing after playing dreadful ball for about three weeks. I had two crucial injuries within three games. Lost Nick Ahmad for the year who was having a career year and playing gold glove defense. Lost Theo Estrada for at least six weeks. Both right before the trade deadline. I had planned on attempting to get either an outfielder, a third baseman as Matt Chapman has been dreadful for me for some reason or definitely a starting pitcher and big time reliever. Ended up getting luis arraez*and a reliever from Miami and sent Alex Cobb to triple A as he’s been arguably the worst pitcher in baseball lol. Is that enough to help in the playoffs? Well find out. Still think I can win the division but it’s going to be very difficult. As far as two teams I plan on playing with an American League team for my next season. Perhaps Anaheim or Boston (Again lol) maybe the Reds as well. I can no longer play with powerhouse teams. I lost interest in doing that several years ago.

“It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing all your life” -Mickey Mantle

2024 San Francisco Giants Franchise:
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...6eIN6Rw7mnKM3J
Old 07-22-2024, 08:39 AM   #3
MVP

kinsmen7's Arena

OVR: 0

I'm still rolling with '22 since I can't bring myself to upgrade to a PS5, but it's still such a blast.

I started this franchise around the end of March when I went on the human IL after surgery, so I had a lot of time early on to pound through games, and managed to put together a pretty solid roster league-wide.

We're in mid-June of year 3 now, and after somehow squeaking into the wildcard game in year 2 (Only to get trounced by the Braves), we've managed to get ourselves into a 3 way battle with the Pads and Dodgers for the top spot in the NL West. Every game feels like it's important.

There's plenty of reasons why I've held on and kept this thing going, but this is the biggest one for me:

We were rolling up on the trade deadline in year 2, bouncing in and out of the 2nd wildcard spot on what seemed like a daily basis, and the Marlins had Jazz Chisholm on the block. Now, one of the things that has soured me into dropping a franchise many, many times in the past, is making a trade and regretting it a few days later because I feel like I'm ripping the CPU off. So, I went back and forth for weeks, until I finally pulled the trigger on a deal that sent the Marlins my top CF prospect (Jordan Beck), second best SS prospect (Dyan Jorge), and 3B Mark Vientos (Who I had acquired in a year 1 trade with the Mets.

When it comes to the value going back and forth here, who knows...I've always tried to use a number value to keep things even, whether it be the old trade forum here, or baseballtradevalues.com. This time though, I just rolled with this with the attitude of "If I'm the Marlins, I'm asking for the moon, and if I'm the Rockies and I'm making a move for a player like this, it HAS to hurt me to pull it off".

So, we move forward and all 3 new Marlins end up playing some through the end of year two, while Chisholm plays some solid ball for me, and fills a huge need while we enter what we hope is our competitive window.

Fast forward to year 3, and Chisholm continues to be very good for me, but the main thing is that ALL 3 are making very solid impacts on the Marlins. Beck is hitting something like .280 with decent power, Jorge has been the 6th most valuable SS in the NL (according to the games "WAR" rating), and Vientos is sitting in 5th in HR's.

It's just one of those rare times in this game where I've found myself thinking multiple times "Did I rip MYSELF off?!?! Did I pull the trigger on a huge deal way too early while trying to claw myself out of a rebuild? Will the GD Marlins end up having a better run over the next 2-3 years than me, because of this???

It's a blast.

2023 Blue Jays Franchise: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...#gid=791592061 (Paused)
Old 07-22-2024, 05:45 PM   #4
Rookie

Bgrd1080's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by MannybeingManny
Been playing with the giants. Six games behind the dodgers as we start August...
I can't play as any other NL West teams as a Padres fan, which is unfortunate because Arizona has a fun team. Hate going against San Diego though. Happy to hear you're enjoying it though.
Old 07-26-2024, 12:16 PM   #5
MVP

Madden08PCgmr's Arena

Mariners... MLBtS is literally the ONLY chance they have at winning

Abhorrent management and ownership
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-28-2024, 01:54 AM   #6
Pro

rkocjay's Arena

I am waiting for the trade deadline to end but may go with the Rockies, marlins, or A's

Sent from my SM-G990U1 using Operation Sports mobile app

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »