Home

The Other/Anti Little Things Thread

This is a discussion on The Other/Anti Little Things Thread within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-15-2009, 05:53 PM   #1
MVP

Trevytrev11's Arena

OVR: 19
The Other/Anti Little Things Thread

My intention is not to cause a war and trash 2K and if it turns into that, please close this up.

The Little things thread is a thread in which people point out little details that make their experience with the overall game more enjoyable. They may or may not impact gameplay, but they are just little things that add to the overall experience.

The purpose of this thread is to kind of point out the opposite...things that happen that kind of take away from the gameplay experience. It could be something visual, something gameplay related, etc. These aren't bugs and glitches in the game that are the result of an oversight by a developer or tester, but assumed intentional decisions that were made.

-----------------------------------------------------------
First thing that comes to mind is the lack of a fading or invisable cursor when pitching. This takes away from the 2 player experience. You can lock in a location by pressing a shoulder button to try and trick your opponent, but this takes longer (as you have to fake them out with other locations) and also can still tip them off as you have to slow down to be exact with your spot.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-15-2009, 06:04 PM   #2
MVP

Trevytrev11's Arena

OVR: 19
Re: The Other/Anti Little Things Thread

Two parts:
1st: Whoever made the decision to go with the stick figures on the baserunner grid/diamond needs to be fired. How can you have something so archaic in a next gen game.

2nd and related. The design of these stick figures presents a bit of an allusion of to your runners location compared to the actual bag. The back leg is actually the marker, so event though 75% of the figure is already past 1st base, in actuality, your runner is 5 steps from it. It's something to get used to, but again it gives off the illusion that your runner is further along than he is.

3rd and kind of related. When on defense, the number will pop up for the AI runners final destination too early...Say you have runner on 1st (A) and 2nd (B). A guy hits a ball to the OF and you see that runner (A) is going to try and score as soon as the ball is hit and that runner (B) is only going to advance to second (as he would show a 2). Because of this you can throw to the plate with no risk of the other runner taking an extra bag. They can always adjust, but I find this rarely happens. It seems that 95% of the time they are committed to that first selection.
Old 04-15-2009, 06:30 PM   #3
MVP

jeffy777's Arena

OVR: 16

When you are batting, certain pitchers have the ball come out of their hand in a really weird way. It almost seems like the ball goes in a different direction than it really should plus it looks like there are some frames missing at the end of their delivery. This doesn't happen for all pitchers. I notice it most with relievers.

I am also really annoyed by the lack of variety in animations, such as double play animations. One example that really annoys me personally that may not seem like a big deal to others is the animation when the pitcher is waiting for the catcher to throw the ball back, he does that stupid thing where me moves his glove up and down repeatedly EVERY SINGLE TIME, every pitcher does this. There's no variety there at all. Just shows lack of attention to detail by 2K.

Last edited by jeffy777; 04-15-2009 at 06:34 PM.
Old 04-15-2009, 06:34 PM   #4
MVP

jeffy777's Arena

Also the lack of a Manager Mode really disappoints me
Old 04-15-2009, 06:49 PM   #5
goh
Banned

OVR: 37

Overall the baserunning is flat out terrible but what really gets me is when they hold with 2 outs...on a bloop...that has no chance of being caught.

I noticed what I think is supposed to be chewing gum on the dugout floor but it really looks like pink throw up (or worse).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-15-2009, 07:13 PM   #6
MVP

jeffy777's Arena

I really miss the stats overlays from last year. It's a drag not being able to see the opposing pitcher's pitch count right from the batting screen, and your batter's stats as well.

Last edited by jeffy777; 04-15-2009 at 07:23 PM.
Old 04-15-2009, 07:18 PM   #7
All Star

nyisles16's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevytrev11
My intention is not to cause a war and trash 2K and if it turns into that, please close this up.

The Little things thread is a thread in which people point out little details that make their experience with the overall game more enjoyable. They may or may not impact gameplay, but they are just little things that add to the overall experience.

The purpose of this thread is to kind of point out the opposite...things that happen that kind of take away from the gameplay experience. It could be something visual, something gameplay related, etc. These aren't bugs and glitches in the game that are the result of an oversight by a developer or tester, but assumed intentional decisions that were made.

-----------------------------------------------------------
First thing that comes to mind is the lack of a fading or invisable cursor when pitching. This takes away from the 2 player experience. You can lock in a location by pressing a shoulder button to try and trick your opponent, but this takes longer (as you have to fake them out with other locations) and also can still tip them off as you have to slow down to be exact with your spot.

I have no issue with the thread.. The problems arise when people just say "it sucks" and offer nothing else..

I have an issue with the game - I know they tried to redo the game on the next gen consoles -- but I don't get why Citi Field looks more complete on the PS2 than the newer consoles, or why weather was taken away in the newer versions.

I like the game, but just some head scratchers..
Old 04-15-2009, 08:29 PM   #8
Rookie

paysworld's Arena

OVR: 8

Why is it that when I pinch hit for the pitcher and I have to sub the pitcher out the next inning, the manager always takes the ball from my pinch hitter, it looks so awkward and it's definitely an oversight.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »