Home

CPU scores are ALWAYS extremely low?

This is a discussion on CPU scores are ALWAYS extremely low? within the Golf forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-06-2009, 04:57 AM   #1
Banned

Court_vision's Arena

OVR: 25
CPU scores are ALWAYS extremely low?

Hmmm...really enjoying the game, but now that I've competed in a few tournaments (offline v the CPU) i've noticed the CPU *always* shoots -30 or even better.

I haven't read a lot of the posts here...but I just did a quick search and it seems this is a major problem / game killer.

Is this just about *always* the case?

I can return the game anytime in the nest 3 days, so I'd prefer to know now if this is true.

I don't really want to bother with the game if I'll need to shoot 4 'super' rounds just to be close.

A real pity as everything else is so well done.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-06-2009, 07:07 AM   #2
Banned

OVR: 26
Re: CPU scores are ALWAYS extremely low?

The uber-low CPU scores seem to be the norm, according to the many posts I've read. I've noticed the tourney-winning scores are higher (-15) if I'm not in contention. So it seems the better you shoot, the lower the CPU shoots -- rubberband AI in other words, which wasn't supposed to be in the game anymore.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:27 AM   #3
MVP

MrArlingtonBeach's Arena

OVR: 11

I have to say that the scoring is way too low in offline tourneys, especially cyber Tiger Woods' totals.

He has won two events in my season with scores in the -40 range (-42 is the lowest I've seen, and that was in an event I simmed through). Not to mention, he has won more than 10 other events in the year and leads the FedEx Cup point total by more than 5,000...

Other things that are frustrating...

I missed a cut after shooting -6 after two rounds. The cut line was at -7. This was in the last major of the year at Hazeltine.

I play on Tour Pro difficulty, but changed it back to Pro mode just to be competitive in PGA Season mode. In my first round in that difficulty, I shot a 58 at Bethpage in the first FedEx Cup event. This was only good enough to put me in the lead by one stroke...two other players had shot 59s.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:33 AM   #4
MVP

OVR: 6

Why do EA not see this as a problem worth patching ? It really is a game killer. I haven't started a season yet as i'm doing the challenges so haven't seen it.

The game is great but this is a joke. Would you buy a madden game if the cpu always scored 60 points ? A baseball game where the average cpu score was 25 runs ?

What is the highest score anyone has seen a cpu win an event with ? And what is the lowest ?
Old 07-06-2009, 09:45 AM   #5
MVP

MrArlingtonBeach's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by packmanuk

What is the highest score anyone has seen a cpu win an event with ? And what is the lowest ?
Lowest winning score: -42 (Tiger Woods winning at Torrey Pines - he also shot a -40 at Bethpage)

Highest winning total: -18 (not sure who it was, but it was at Pebble Beach)

These are for four-day events as well.

Last edited by MrArlingtonBeach; 07-06-2009 at 09:50 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-06-2009, 10:05 AM   #6
Banned

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by packmanuk
What is the highest score anyone has seen a cpu win an event with ?
-15 as I mentioned. Most of the tourney-winning scores I've seen are in the -25 range.
Old 07-06-2009, 10:27 AM   #7
Rookie

starship's Arena

OVR: 4

I've stopped paying attention to the tourney scores, except to give a glance at the end of a round. I'm playing Tour Pro with the clubs' sweetspot tuned down (thanks baa7) and I have a hard time breaking par let alone hitting the kind of scores the AI 'ALWAYS' gets .

The real killer for me is that the almost perfect play of the AI exists in all modes on all levels. I played a match play round against Retif Goosen yesterday at St. Andrews. He won in 12 holes. He birdied 11 of those holes. Worse, he only had one hole where his approach shot left him more than 10 feet away (the one hole he didn't birdie). Most were inside of 5 feet. On one hole he landed his tee shot in a fairway bunker--and then shot within 9 inches of the hole! So, none of the offline game modes are fun to play with the AI. If EA had tried to make things more dull and uninteresting they wouldn't have needed to do anything different. And the online scores aren't much (if any) better. So what are we supposed to do?
Old 07-06-2009, 10:31 AM   #8
Pro

cactusruss's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by baa7
The uber-low CPU scores seem to be the norm, according to the many posts I've read. I've noticed the tourney-winning scores are higher (-15) if I'm not in contention. So it seems the better you shoot, the lower the CPU shoots -- rubberband AI in other words, which wasn't supposed to be in the game anymore.
I think you're right about the rubberband AI, because in the few offline tournaments I've played in, on tour pro difficulty, I've shot rounds in the mid 70's, and the winning scores were around -15 to -20. Yet others, who shoot better, claim to see wining scores much higher. I guess the rubberband AI wasn't taken out after all.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf »