Home

Running / Passing Downs

This is a discussion on Running / Passing Downs within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-23-2009, 01:19 AM   #1
Rookie

didy's Arena

OVR: 2
Running / Passing Downs

Hey guys just want your feedback or knowledge on a issue that has been bugging me.

What do you guys consider Running Downs and Passing Downs.

Is it the yardage or field position etc...

Any info will make me feel better.

Thanx fellas.....
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-23-2009, 02:21 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 8
Re: Running / Passing Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by didy
Hey guys just want your feedback or knowledge on a issue that has been bugging me.

What do you guys consider Running Downs and Passing Downs.

Is it the yardage or field position etc...

Any info will make me feel better.

Thanx fellas.....
It all depends on score, clock, field position, and teams in question, so any generalizations would be wrong in a lot of cases, but in general, in my humble opinion...

2nd and short is often a deep passing/play action down (since you have third down to pick up the first, assuming you can run reliably)

3rd and long is a passing down since running it is unlikely to pick up the first. However, you'll see real teams calling draw plays fairly often with 5-8 to go... It always annoys me when I watch games because they seem to never work. Also if you're running clock, the 40+ seconds might be worth more than a first down to you, in which case it's a running down.

3rd and short is a running down. But it's also a good place for play action since they'll have to respect the run.

1st or 2nd and more than 10 is often a short passing down.

Your mileage may vary.
Old 07-23-2009, 02:32 AM   #3
Banned

OVR: 9

1st down = running down
2nd and long = passing down
2nd and short = run or play-action
3rd and long = passing down
3rd and short = run or quick pass, or possibly a play-action bomb

That's how I usually play. Of course, I may throw on first if I'm on a roll, and could even run on 2nd and long if I feel the yards are open.
Old 07-23-2009, 04:33 AM   #4
All Star

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattieShoes
It all depends on score, clock, field position, and teams in question, so any generalizations would be wrong in a lot of cases, but in general, in my humble opinion...

2nd and short is often a deep passing/play action down (since you have third down to pick up the first, assuming you can run reliably)

3rd and long is a passing down since running it is unlikely to pick up the first. However, you'll see real teams calling draw plays fairly often with 5-8 to go... It always annoys me when I watch games because they seem to never work. Also if you're running clock, the 40+ seconds might be worth more than a first down to you, in which case it's a running down.

3rd and short is a running down. But it's also a good place for play action since they'll have to respect the run.

1st or 2nd and more than 10 is often a short passing down.

Your mileage may vary.
Yeah its so annoying in real on third and long. ANd you see your team call a draw play that goes for 2 yards.

I'm like, you have Peyton Manning and quarterback. Whats up with the draw.
Old 07-23-2009, 05:21 AM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 8

Of course, your best bet usually to do what the opponent isn't defending against. Play action passing is a viable option on most rushing downs and draws are viable in passing downs.

In Madden, I never had much luck with draws, but screen passes can work a lot like a draw, and catch them flat footed if they're expecting the pass and rushing en masse. And if they don't rush, you have downfield receivers too. People seem to forget the downfield receivers on screen plays. :-)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-23-2009, 05:49 AM   #6
Rookie

didy's Arena

OVR: 2

Thanx a lot boys, makes things more clearer, in my mind...
Old 07-23-2009, 07:33 AM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 3

I love to run the ball there isn't anything for me that isn't a running down. Maybe 3rd and 20, but I've gotten first downs on unbelievable plays especially when people decide to play QUARTER defense just because they have me 3rd and forever.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »