Home

Why the Buccaneers?

This is a discussion on Why the Buccaneers? within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-17-2010, 02:24 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 18
Why the Buccaneers?

This game has make me scratch my head many times, but perhaps more than anything else, why are the Buccaneers so god-like? The season before the game in reality, they were a low rung playoff time. But every season with any team they seem like they are always 13-3 to 16-0 and deep in the playoffs.

I wonder what made the producers of HC heart the Buccaneers so much? And why do they hate the Panthers so much, the Panthers are usually consistently average in reality, on the game they seem to always be a bottom 5 team.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-18-2010, 01:44 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: Why the Buccaneers?

I think it is a combination of the power of the system in this game and that they overvalued the rise of the Buccaneers.

In this game the coaches of the Buccaneers with their playbooks are very good, disproportionately to the real NFL giving the team 6 wins from the get go.

Next the head coach guys gambled alot on their projection of the future. For example that Vernon Gholston is a bust, while its obvious now many felt he could be great in the NFL. That one was a very easy pick but some would be harder like being able to see what Chris Johnson could be come. Like how good teams will be in the following years, for the most part i would say they did pretty good, but they took a risk thinking that the Buccaneers defense was going to become an elite caliber unit, they were very young before this.

Neither of these alone would make the Buccaneers as unfair as they are in this game. But together they compounded each other turning a talented unit of young players into an all time legendary defense. And caused an offense that lacked in elite players to play well beyond their abilities.

Really they never shouldve made this team that much better just one season afterwards however it was a good guess that the team would have been better going into the future but never an undefeated squad.
Old 07-19-2010, 06:36 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 5

I think someone was a Gruden fan. I took over the Bucs, then simmed the first season of my current franchise just to get rid of Gruden. After that season, I left and went to Washington, and the Bucs fell apart the following year.

They don't look to get much better anytime soon either. With Gruden went his playbook, and now any coach coming into TB has to deal with implementing a new playbook. They may come back in a couple years, but right now, they really aren't much.

I think that may be one reason the Panthers have so much trouble as well. They tend to fire coaches a lot, and it's kind of hard for a team to build up much playbook knowledge when they keep switching. Add to that that Carlolina's RB's tend to get injured a lot, and they usually make stupid deals like cuitting Pepper or Delhomme just to resign them in the offseason, and they just seem self destructive to me.
Old 07-19-2010, 07:49 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutter73
I think someone was a Gruden fan. I took over the Bucs, then simmed the first season of my current franchise just to get rid of Gruden. After that season, I left and went to Washington, and the Bucs fell apart the following year.

They don't look to get much better anytime soon either. With Gruden went his playbook, and now any coach coming into TB has to deal with implementing a new playbook. They may come back in a couple years, but right now, they really aren't much.

I think that may be one reason the Panthers have so much trouble as well. They tend to fire coaches a lot, and it's kind of hard for a team to build up much playbook knowledge when they keep switching. Add to that that Carlolina's RB's tend to get injured a lot, and they usually make stupid deals like cuitting Pepper or Delhomme just to resign them in the offseason, and they just seem self destructive to me.

It was different on mine, once Gruden left, they promoted from within with Kiffin and Muir and kept it going.

The Panthers kept Fox for like 6 or 7 years on mine too even though they were consistently 5-11 or worse.
Old 07-20-2010, 02:30 PM   #5
All Star

Lieutenant Dan's Arena

OVR: 31

I almost sprayed my drink all over my keyboard when I read this, magnificent!

I haven't played since last season, but I do remember the first few seasons especially in my HC career that the Bucs were just amazing, and beat me almost anytime I played them, no matter how buff my team might be. LOL Great memories....HC is an amazing game.

OS Dibs: Anna Kendrick

Elite Dangerous on One X has become my life.

Proud PS5 and Xbox Series X Owner
"Best of Both Worlds"
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-21-2010, 09:05 AM   #6
Pro

OVR: 7

Actually, I think that it's as much Monte Kiffin as it is Gruden and his playbook. I was overjoyed - overjoyed, I tell you! - when Gruden quit and Kiffin retired from the Bucs at the end of the 2012-13 season of my current franchise. I was tired of meeting them in the NFC Championship game every year, and I think virtual-Chucky was disgusted at getting his butt kicked every year by my/McCarthy's Packers squad.

I haven't looked, but I'll bet Kiffin comes with pretty much every special ability known to man as a DC, as well as a high performance rating. Even with relatively average players, he makes'em something special. In addition, the Tampa-2 playbook is made to shut down the outside run and take away your WR, i.e. take away the big play. If you don't know how to attack it, it's gonna be a long day of slogging your way down the field.

The Tampa offensive playbook is still a very good one, and Gruden's a very good coach in HC, but I don't think Monte gets enough credit for Tampa's long-term success.
Old 07-22-2010, 11:25 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 4

One too many producers at EA Sports had a man crush on Gruden LOLZ!
Old 07-24-2010, 08:18 AM   #8
MVP

gr18's Arena

OVR: 11

I think much of their success was based on EA's tendencies to keep great veteran players at a very high level too long.They had a mix of vets that in reality were declining and rookies like Gaines Adams that didn't get near the level that they were projected.

On offense,Jeff Garcia was good but we know how long he stays with a team,Cadillac Williams,who had major injuries,and again vets like Joey Galloway that didn't decline much in-game.

So,if everything would've worked out perfectly for the Bucs they could've been very good for several years but the opposite happened.Realistically,they probably should've been somewhere around the middle of the two scenarios.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »