Home

Power I - HB Toss and Counter

This is a discussion on Power I - HB Toss and Counter within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-29-2011, 07:25 PM   #1
jpz
Rookie

OVR: 0
Angry Power I - HB Toss and Counter

I played this guy for the National Championship in my OD. My defense was loaded with a LOLB rated 99, ROLB rated 97, RE rated 97 and a LE rated 94. The guy I was playing had a true freshmen running back who was the number 1 recruit in the country the year before and his offensive line doesn't have anyone rated higher than an 84.

Now with that being said, This guy ran two plays the whole game and it was either the HB Toss or the Counter. He would move his WR in motion every time and then audible between the two plays depending on what he thought would work best. It was so stupid, my guys couldn't get any penetration at all. I tried every possible defensive play I thought possible (QB spy, LB blitzes, cover 2 and zone blitzes. I tried all 4-3 formations, 46 and all nickel defenses) and I changed my d-line aggressive only to fail to stop it.

Dude had 24 carries for 338 yards and 4 Touch Downs. Now I'm more than likely gonna have to play this guy again next year. I need to know how I can stop this. PLEASE ANYONE?? NEED HELP MORE THAN EVER!!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-29-2011, 07:49 PM   #2
Banned

devinewon's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: Power I - HB Toss and Counter

3-4 Penetration from the MLB's and SS is the key. Its the only wat to stop the counter. You also have to play with a safety not a DT and run man coverage.
Old 01-29-2011, 08:25 PM   #3
Pro

Pielet's Arena

OVR: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by devinewon
3-4 Penetration from the MLB's and SS is the key. Its the only wat to stop the counter. You also have to play with a safety not a DT and run man coverage.
An aggressive zone would help too.

Press on man coverage too.

What defense is the original poster running? Try 4-4 or 5-2 at all?

Pinch line and spread LB. Contain the inside LBs. Pinching will help in overloading the gap left by the pulling guard.
Old 01-29-2011, 09:09 PM   #4
Rookie

slingstone's Arena

OVR: 0

I'm not an online player, but it seems to me you could use the option to "play" the run and take a guess at which side he's running to. If he's always running to the strong side (or in the direction of his WR's motion), it'd be fairly easy. If he's switching it up, I still think you could get an idea of his pattern and beat him rock, scissors, paper style.

Also, not to sound like a crazy man, but you could stop the outside run with the Dime or Nickel. It would leave you a little vulnerable up the middle if he decided to vary his play calling, but it should at least put some players in his path to the outside. You might even come in on a 4-3 alignment and audible to a Dime or Nickel, thereby putting LB's out on the edge against WR's and fullbacks. Cheesy, but it might work.

Here's hoping you beat the crap out of that bastard next year.

Old 01-30-2011, 12:33 AM   #5
All Star

SuperBowlNachos's Arena

OVR: 21

www.traditionsportsonline.com

Your best bet is to quit that OD and join one that doesn't have guys who do this.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-30-2011, 08:24 PM   #6
Pro

FedExPope's Arena

OVR: 7

I played a guy who used Texas with the Nebraska playbook...a few lucky/BS pass plays here and there, and my idiot players fumbling the ball all game, he pounded away and probably average 6 yards a carry no matter WHAT I did, and I knew the entire time he'd be running after I figured out his gameplan. Which was: Run every down. Defense AI is trash, doesn't matter what you do, they can run all day all over you. Sure maybe not 330+ yards every time, but enough to tip the favor of the game for him.
Old 01-30-2011, 10:06 PM   #7
Rookie

scotty0's Arena

OVR: 1

On the same note but playing the complete opposite..... I just got crushed for the Nat'l Championship in my online dynasty to a guy that literally used 3 passing plays in 4 and 5 wide sets. Dime, quarter and man or zone nothing worked. I played the pass every single play and he used the same plays and I never stopped him. I have no idea what to do.......
Old 01-31-2011, 04:06 AM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 3

is he putting a wr into motion and then running toss to the side the wr came from? if thats the case, audibling to a cover 2 def to make your cb stay on his side of the field will help keep enough defenders on the play side

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »