Home

Tips for the 7th, 8th, 9th

This is a discussion on Tips for the 7th, 8th, 9th within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-26-2011, 01:18 PM   #1
MVP

merchant1874's Arena

OVR: 6
Tips for the 7th, 8th, 9th

I need advice on pitching for these last innings. No matter how well I am pitching, who I'm pitching with and how many runs ahead I am be it 10, 5 or a 1 run lead I just seem to give up so many runs in these innings. Especially the 8th.

I just finished a game pitching with halliday. I was 5-1 ahead going into the 8th inning. I had only thrown 60 pitches and given up 1 hit, a homerun in the 6th. His confidence full. Suddenly I give up 6 hits and 5 runs. I eventually lose the game 9-6. I also had 3 errors in the last 2 innings.

It's so frustrating almost everygame is a real struggle to hold a lead. ( to be fair it pretty exciting but I would like the odd comfortable game)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-26-2011, 01:23 PM   #2
Rookie

Re: Tips for the 7th, 8th, 9th

For one thing it sounds like you throw way to many strikes. You can probably get away with that with a guy like doc but not so much with many of the guys out if the pen. My suggestion is to mix up your pitches a little more. I have thrown close to 60 pitches in two innings before because I refuse to just groove the ball. Just my two cents
Old 04-26-2011, 01:50 PM   #3
MVP

merchant1874's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by volsman
For one thing it sounds like you throw way to many strikes. You can probably get away with that with a guy like doc but not so much with many of the guys out if the pen. My suggestion is to mix up your pitches a little more. I have thrown close to 60 pitches in two innings before because I refuse to just groove the ball. Just my two cents
Thanks for the help. I'm quite new to baseball so not too wise when it comes to pitching srategies! I'll try throwing out of the zone a bit more.
Old 04-26-2011, 01:53 PM   #4
Banned

jd369's Arena

OVR: 7

Do the outfielders player very deep by default in the later innings? I always forget to check, but blew a 2 run lead in my last game because it seemed like my centerfielder was charging a single up the middle from the warning track. I think I would have had a shot to get the guy at the plate or even hold him at 3rd if the CF had been playing the correct depth but since that was my only blown save so far I havent had time to play another game and check.
Old 04-26-2011, 01:55 PM   #5
Banned

lesscan's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by merchant1874
Thanks for the help. I'm quite new to baseball so not too wise when it comes to pitching srategies! I'll try throwing out of the zone a bit more.

If you have a pitcher with a good breaking ball, ie SLDR or CRV, you can learn how to put ALOT of movement on those pitches. They will start in the zone and fade out and make the hitter chase.

Analog Pitching is GREAT for this!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-26-2011, 02:03 PM   #6
Crunchy

Mabster's Arena

OVR: 7

That batting AI will adapt to your pitching style. If you've pitched the same way the whole game (fastballs early in the count, offspeed when you're ahead, etc) they learn your pattern and expect what you are going to throw next. Vary your style. Don't always throw fastballs early, don't always alternate fastball/change. Instead, throw curves early in the count once in awhile, throw two change-ups back to back, etc.

You might not even be aware of it but you may be becoming predictable. Just something to think about.

Old 04-26-2011, 02:19 PM   #7
MVP

merchant1874's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd369
Do the outfielders player very deep by default in the later innings? I always forget to check, but blew a 2 run lead in my last game because it seemed like my centerfielder was charging a single up the middle from the warning track. I think I would have had a shot to get the guy at the plate or even hold him at 3rd if the CF had been playing the correct depth but since that was my only blown save so far I havent had time to play another game and check.
Yes possibly. Do you have to set your defensive strategies manually?
Old 04-26-2011, 02:21 PM   #8
MVP

merchant1874's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabster
That batting AI will adapt to your pitching style. If you've pitched the same way the whole game (fastballs early in the count, offspeed when you're ahead, etc) they learn your pattern and expect what you are going to throw next. Vary your style. Don't always throw fastballs early, don't always alternate fastball/change. Instead, throw curves early in the count once in awhile, throw two change-ups back to back, etc.

You might not even be aware of it but you may be becoming predictable. Just something to think about.
Again you could be correct. I feel I do mix it up quite a bit but a's you say I may be unaware of using the same pattern. I'll try what you advise.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »