Home

Ever quit a game because you got screwed?

This is a discussion on Ever quit a game because you got screwed? within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 10:37 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 5
Ever quit a game because you got screwed?

I'm a big advocate for playing each game through from start to finish. Baseball is a quirky sport where you have to expect the unexpected, but tonight was the first time I shut off the PS3 without saving a franchise game because I was being totally hosed.

1) First inning, Houston hits an easy fly ball to left. Ethier is under it, positioned perfectly and the ball just drops for no reason. Runner eventually scores, but I keep playing. It's happened before and it won't be the last time it happens either.

2) Middle innings, a ground ball goes straight at shortstop who SIDESTEPS for no reason and the ball trickles past him for a single.

3) Shortly after that a deep fly ball is hit towards Kemp in center who does exactly what Ethier did in the first. He was there waiting for the ball and lunged away at the last second for two runners to score on the play.

4) The final straw was when batting, down by four runs in the 7th and my pinch hitter Carroll hits a line drive off the left field wall. Barajas, who was at first, doesn't make the turn around second for some reason (despite my button direction telling him to do so). Before I know it, Carroll is next to him at second and the inning ends on a dumb out at third.

I know fielders don't always make routine catches, but shouldn't they be hit with an error if they don't? In this case, the batter was credited with hits and my pitching staff copped earned runs, which leads me to believe it was a bug/glitch of some sort and not simply a case of a fielder making a mistake.

I thought long and hard for a couple of innings before deciding to flick the switch. I've never quit a game for any reason before and I feel dirty doing so, but a little less dirty than I would have felt losing a game because of some buggy AI.

Thoughts? Anyone been in a similar situation?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-03-2011, 11:03 AM   #2
pissed, or parkinson's?

adayinthelife's Arena

OVR: 22
Re: Ever quit a game because you got screwed?

Eh, it's baseball, weird **** happens all the time. Sure it's more strange, and more annoying for that matter, that it all happened in one game for you, but stuff like that does happen in real life.

Also, I think there are enough games in the season that you can handle a bad loss here and there, no?

I've had a couple games in my franchise so far where I haven't played til the end (games where I'm just getting absolutely destroyed by like 10 runs), but even then I just did the "sim to end of game" thing and moved on.

You'll never be happy with every single game you play, much like you'll never be happy with every single game your favourite team plays.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:09 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 5

I can handle a bad bounce.
I can handle a string of lucky bloop singles.
I can handle a missed tag at the plate.
I can handle the other guys making freak plays.

But it's tough to handle little bugs in a video game. I still don't think those misplayed balls were genuine either on account of the fact errors weren't charged.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:22 AM   #4
I can't feel it

Jgainsey's Arena

OVR: 22

I usually just roll with it whenever I get screwed with something like an animation not kicking in. There are usually enough things that don't go the cpu's way too, and I don't quit the game for them... So it kind of balances out over the course of a season.
Old 05-03-2011, 12:17 PM   #5
MVP

Heroesandvillains's Arena

OVR: 27

Yeah, I had this weird play yesterday where Texiera (me) dove for the ball...

Full extension...

And it drilled him in the face! LOL!

To my surprise, when it lead to a run, I was a little ashamed of myself for being ticked.

So, I went to the replay vault, watched it...laughed my *** off...saved the replay, and moved on.

It's moments like those that make this game special. You never know what's gonna happen. Granted, 4 miscues would have probably had me in "controller throwing mode," but you have to find the humor in it and just move on.

Otherwise, you'll never get through your season.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-03-2011, 01:03 PM   #6
MVP

DGuinta1's Arena

OVR: 29
Angry Re: Ever quit a game because you got screwed?

Yep, last night lost a game in extra innings because my 3B Chavez went to cover the bag instead of going for the ground ball to get the final out. Afterwards CPU scored and won. I didn't even bother with the bottom of the inning I was so pissed! First time it has happened but the AI needs to be tweaked big time under those circumstances. Hope that could get patched!
Old 05-03-2011, 01:04 PM   #7
Banned

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair
I can handle a bad bounce.
I can handle a string of lucky bloop singles.
I can handle a missed tag at the plate.
I can handle the other guys making freak plays.

But it's tough to handle little bugs in a video game. I still don't think those misplayed balls were genuine either on account of the fact errors weren't charged.
I agree. There are times when some strange stuff will happen, just like in real life. And then there are times where strange stuff will happen, just like in the Matrix. When any semblance of reality has vacated the game and fun has been replaced with frustration, there is no shame in shutting it down. I have done that a few times when I played every game. Now I just sim to the end and move on. Everyone will say things like "it's just a game", and it is. Since it is just a game, you need to remember that the sole purpose of a game is to have fun. If you aren't having fun because of the wacky stuff, shut it down and go play outside if you are a kid, or go play outside with your kids.
Old 05-03-2011, 01:04 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 2

No, suck it up.
NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »