Home

Realisitc Big 12 Replacements

This is a discussion on Realisitc Big 12 Replacements within the College Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-14-2011, 03:07 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Realisitc Big 12 Replacements

If the Big 12 decides to grow back to twelve teams who do you think they will go after? I'm Disqualifying TCU and Houston right off the bat, Texas has made it well known they do not want anymore in-state schools in their conference (TCU must have them scared).

With that in mind I would think BYU would be a no brainer if they can be convinced to give up on being an independent already. Great fan base with national appeal, recaptures the rocky mountain media base that the conference lost with Colorado going to the Pac 12.

Other teams for consideration:

Colorado State: May be awhile before they are competitve but would recover the Colorado market and serve as a nice rival with the Kansas schools (state boarder one another) and BYU if they come aboard.

Air Force: See above

San Diego State: Saw this in a cbssports.com report once. Would be thinking outside the box and would bring a huge market to the conference.

Arkansas: May feel they have a better shot of competing in the Big 12 than SEC, plus historically as part of the South West Conference had big rivalries with Texas and A&M

New Mexico: Would provide a new market but would be awhile before they are competitive. Could see New Mexico-Texas Tech becoming a good rivalry.

What do you guys think?

Last edited by Hoosiers86IU; 07-14-2011 at 03:08 AM. Reason: grammar
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-14-2011, 03:21 AM   #2
Pro

OVR: 6
Re: Realisitc Big 12 Replacements

Its not that they are scared of tcu, with Tech/a&m/UT, they've got the dallas/fort worth market covered. Same for the houston market. They want to bring in new TV sets to the conference. Unfortunately, that doesn't leave a lot of options.

I wouldn't be suprised if they made a push for BYU (wouldn't happen though).

New Mexico doesn't really add much of a market, on top of that they are awful.

I don't see Arkansas leaving anytime soon.

Maybe Nevada, maybe someone outside of the box like a USF/UCF combo.

If I had to bet, I would say the Big XII stays at 10, at least until superconferences come along.
Old 07-14-2011, 05:08 AM   #3
Rookie

Yeah that makes sense about the market already being covered. I remember hearing that TCU has the 6th biggest alumni base in the Dallas-Ft Worth Metroplex behind Texas, Tech, AM, Oklahoma and OK State.

It also wouldn't surprise me if Texas decided it wanted the Big 12 Pie to be reduced to fewer pieces. You could see them put pressure on the conference to kick out Iowa State, one less mouth to feed, more money for Texas and no moe road trips to Iowa
Old 07-14-2011, 05:46 AM   #4
Hall Of Fame

Jarodd21's Arena

OVR: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosiers86IU
If the Big 12 decides to grow back to twelve teams who do you think they will go after? I'm Disqualifying TCU and Houston right off the bat, Texas has made it well known they do not want anymore in-state schools in their conference (TCU must have them scared).

With that in mind I would think BYU would be a no brainer if they can be convinced to give up on being an independent already. Great fan base with national appeal, recaptures the rocky mountain media base that the conference lost with Colorado going to the Pac 12.

Other teams for consideration:

Colorado State: May be awhile before they are competitve but would recover the Colorado market and serve as a nice rival with the Kansas schools (state boarder one another) and BYU if they come aboard.

Air Force: See above

San Diego State: Saw this in a cbssports.com report once. Would be thinking outside the box and would bring a huge market to the conference.

Arkansas: May feel they have a better shot of competing in the Big 12 than SEC, plus historically as part of the South West Conference had big rivalries with Texas and A&M

New Mexico: Would provide a new market but would be awhile before they are competitive. Could see New Mexico-Texas Tech becoming a good rivalry.

What do you guys think?

TCU and Houston would have definitely made the Big 12 a better conference. They could have moved Oklahoma and Okl. St up to the north and the Conference would have been solid and ready to go.. Me and one of my friends were talking about that exact scenario for the Big 12 but like you said it will probably never happen.
Old 07-14-2011, 06:00 AM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarodd21
TCU and Houston would have definitely made the Big 12 a better conference. They could have moved Oklahoma and Okl. St up to the north and the Conference would have been solid and ready to go.. Me and one of my friends were talking about that exact scenario for the Big 12 but like you said it will probably never happen.
Yeah TCU and Houston to the Big 12 makes perfect sense for our NCAA 12 dynasties, but not the bottom line.....$....TCU would cream Colorado St. or New Mexico but both schools would bring in more money to the Big 12 than TCU
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-14-2011, 01:45 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 1

What about Louisville? Their football team is respectable and used to be pretty good a few years ago, and their basketball team would fit in well with the level competition in the Big 12. Plus from geographical standpoint they fit pretty well with the rest of the conference.
Old 07-14-2011, 02:06 PM   #7
Outback Jesus

OSUFan_88's Arena

OVR: 37

What about Iowa?

I think BYU would be a lock.

Perhaps one of the Louisiana schools? Or if Texas would allow it, SMU?

Not a whole lot of options right now. I'd love to see Boise State...but I doubt it.

Colorado State is very meh...

Urban Meyer is lol.
Old 07-14-2011, 02:38 PM   #8
Bearer of the curse

Pokes's Arena

OVR: 19

CSU or AFA are probably the most realistic of the longshots.

NCAA: Oklahoma State Cowboys - Michigan Wolverines
NFL: Houston Texans
NBA: Houston Rockets
MLB: Houston Astros
PSN: Kaiserwilson

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football »