Home

Psychic Pass Coverage (Video) - Incorporating a Read-and-React Defense

This is a discussion on Psychic Pass Coverage (Video) - Incorporating a Read-and-React Defense within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-17-2011, 10:43 PM   #1
Staff Writer

jmik58's Arena

OVR: 42
Psychic Pass Coverage (Video) - Incorporating a Read-and-React Defense

I don't know if the "psychic db" is an issue that people have accepted or if some are still in denial, but I would say I've finally seen one of the best examples and was able to grab the video to prove it.

Of course the question might be, why even bother if we know it's how the CPU plays defense?

First of all, I'm definitely not the type to complain just for the sake of bringing the game down. Since the NCAA community at EA has shown they're willing to listen to us then I figured it's worth a shot to point out something I take issue with and suggest a way to make it better.

The issue I have isn't the psychic DB's -- they are merely a symptom of the real problem.

I really think the next step for the gameplay (beyond incorporating a physics engine) is to get rid of the pre-programmed animations that are triggered by a button push, and instead to build in a true read-and-react defense system.

What the problem looks like...

- The defense will line up with the perfect defense to stop whatever play you called. If you notice this, you can audible or flip the play and destroy the CPU.

- The defenders run your routes before your receiver; or run them better.

- The defense responds to the press of the button when you pass, not the ball.

What I'd love to see...

- Give the defenders something to look at (a key).
- Then program a reaction/response to what that key is doing. The better players perform their job better while the poor players don't read their key correctly or react improperly more often than the better players.

But anyways, whether this can be done or not, here's the video and the setup.

(Me) UNLV vs Louisiana (CPU)

My WR was supposed to run a 15 yard "in".

I threw the ball just before the receiver made it to his break (my mistake).

The DB went ahead and ran the 15 yard in-route because that's what he was programmed to do based on the play I picked.

However, my WR keeps running straight and catches the ball. He eventually scores but that's irrelevant.

Enjoy:

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-18-2011, 12:12 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Psychic Pass Coverage (Video) - Incorporating a Read-and-React Defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmik58
I don't know if the "psychic db" is an issue that people have accepted or if some are still in denial, but I would say I've finally seen one of the best examples and was able to grab the video to prove it.

Of course the question might be, why even bother if we know it's how the CPU plays defense?

First of all, I'm definitely not the type to complain just for the sake of bringing the game down. Since the NCAA community at EA has shown they're willing to listen to us then I figured it's worth a shot to point out something I take issue with and suggest a way to make it better.

The issue I have isn't the psychic DB's -- they are merely a symptom of the real problem.

I really think the next step for the gameplay (beyond incorporating a physics engine) is to get rid of the pre-programmed animations that are triggered by a button push, and instead to build in a true read-and-react defense system.

What the problem looks like...

- The defense will line up with the perfect defense to stop whatever play you called. If you notice this, you can audible or flip the play and destroy the CPU.

- The defenders run your routes before your receiver; or run them better.

- The defense responds to the press of the button when you pass, not the ball.

What I'd love to see...

- Give the defenders something to look at (a key).
- Then program a reaction/response to what that key is doing. The better players perform their job better while the poor players don't read their key correctly or react improperly more often than the better players.

But anyways, whether this can be done or not, here's the video and the setup.

(Me) UNLV vs Louisiana (CPU)

My WR was supposed to run a 15 yard "in".

I threw the ball just before the receiver made it to his break (my mistake).

The DB went ahead and ran the 15 yard in-route because that's what he was programmed to do based on the play I picked.

However, my WR keeps running straight and catches the ball. He eventually scores but that's irrelevant.

Enjoy:

Wow what a great capture and rather striking. The question I have is, Is it good defense if the CPU knows what route the receiver is running or just an easy way to make the game harder? Just seems like an easy way out. Personally its nice to see the d and zone tougher this year but it seems at the expense of superhuman defender, ie super jumpers, eyes behind their back, and psychic players. Which creates an unfair and aggravating experience on offense.
Old 07-18-2011, 12:22 AM   #3
Rookie

adamcsay's Arena

OVR: 4

ok i get the psychic db is a hot topic around here and for good reason, but that video is just hilarious.

the fact that the db got caught cheating and then got burned as a result is just oddly satisfying for me.
Old 07-18-2011, 01:41 AM   #4
Banned

Hal Fowler's Arena

I wonder if a DB with lower play recognition might not have tried to jump his route.
Old 07-18-2011, 02:14 AM   #5
Pro

OVR: 5

I agree with your post. Although it does not seem as bad this year, it is still there, yes even on Heisman; if you do not believe me go into your game and try running a HB toss with twins to one side, the CPU hardly (if ever) comes out in a man defense and the vast majority of the time is blitzing their corner. I have also had quite a few problems lately with screen passes, as the DE always seems to know when they are coming. I thought that it had something to do with my tendancies so over the course of a couple of games I changed everything up and it was still happening.

Overall I think that gameplay has improved this year over last, but I just think that until we get a new physics based engine we will have to deal with the animation style gameplay. Unfortunately I do not think we will have a new engine anytime soon, being as Madden has not had one yet and they will probably wait until the Next Gen consols come out.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-18-2011, 02:42 AM   #6
Banned

OVR: 32
Send that video to EA with a little note that says, what in the heck were you thinking!

Leave at that and let them think about it for a while.
Old 07-18-2011, 02:56 AM   #7
Rookie

Couldn't agree more, that is a great example of the program itself being caught with it's hand in the cookie jar.
Old 07-18-2011, 02:57 AM   #8
MVP

Pokes404's Arena

OVR: 10

The physic DBs are really bad, but the motion shifting by defenders is what gets me the most.

How many times have you guys read man coverage, no safety over the top, and inside position by your receiver on a post route, only to see the DB magically end up inside of your receiver once you let the ball go. I don't expect a perfect game. That's just not possible. But if I can't apply even the most basic fundamentals of football without the game doing something to cheat me, then I'm not going to stick around for very long.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »