Home

Your favorite EA Sports NHL game

This is a discussion on Your favorite EA Sports NHL game within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-15-2011, 12:29 PM   #1
Pro

ChampIsHere42's Arena

OVR: 6
Your favorite EA Sports NHL game

I was just looking through some of the older games EA has released realized how great this series has truly been. It's definitely the most fun sports game that I have ever played. I'm not real sure which game I would decide would be the best EA has ever released (considering I haven't bought NHL 12 yet because of the freezing issues), but if I had to pick I would probably go with NHL 99.

What is your favorite?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-15-2011, 12:42 PM   #2
R.I.P 2KHockey 2000-2011

savoie2006's Arena

OVR: 29
Re: Your favorite EA Sports NHL game

NHL 12 without a doubt. Last gen NHL 2005.
Old 09-15-2011, 01:20 PM   #3
MVP

FBeaule04's Arena

Genesis : NHL 95 (First game with complete season, trades, etc.)
PC : NHL 98 (Online leagues and offline mode was great)
360 : NHL 12 and NHL 08*

*I know, NHL 08 wasn't that good, but that was my first game on the 360 and the leap from the PC version was simply astonishing for me. I played the hell out of that game and for 60$, I'm not sure it cost more than 0.05$ a game!
Old 09-15-2011, 01:40 PM   #4
MVP

bwiggy33's Arena

NHL 98! NHL 98 was when I started playing video games on a regular basis. I think I was 7 at the time. Plus lets face it Peter Forsberg was on the cover with his Jofa helmet and yellow laces. I will never forget the Wendy's, powerade, and stanley cup (when you were in the playoffs) logos on the ice as well. I don't know if we will ever see an actual fast food company or drink company be able to put their logo in one of the 4 spots around the center ice circle ever again. I thought this was the coolest thing in the world.

Another thing that was awesome was "Are you afraid of the masked man?" They showed pictures of a bunch of different goalie helmets that NHL'ers wore. Then another cool feature was winning the stanley cup. When you won it you unlocked a sweet video. You could enter a code to do that as well but I actually chose to just win the cup. Plus IMO they had they coolest opening video in any sports game. Jim Hughson and Daryl Reaugh doing the announcing, classic. I wish they were still in. "A hard check into the boards... That has to hurt"

I think it was the first time 3D players were actually used in a hockey game as well. I could be wrong though. I still have the game along with NHL 99, and 2001 for PS1. Then I finally made the transition to PS2 for NHL 2003.
NFL-Minnesota Vikings
NFL-Denver Broncos
NCAAF-Michigan Wolverines
NCAAH-St. Cloud State Huskies
Soccer-Chelsea
Old 09-15-2011, 01:56 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 1

NHL 12! So far it just revamped my favorite mode (BaP) and I enjoy HUT and EASHL more than last years.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-15-2011, 02:14 PM   #6
Rookie

morellomre's Arena

OVR: 2

Personally these two years stick out in my mind.

93 - fighting, blood, and hockey..what else does an 8 year old want??? In retrospect, the out of town highlights they would do during playoffs were GENERATIONS ahead of its time..most games nowadays still dont do it.

96 (PC) - my cousin got this before me and it blew me away how much deeper this was then console NHL. i got it and sunk so much time into this game. played every game of an entire season. edited the rosters as the season progressed. just ate it up.
Old 09-15-2011, 02:19 PM   #7
Some say he...

kerosene31's Arena

OVR: 20

NHL '94 was a classic (I wish they would re-release it as a download or something)

NHL 2004 was great because you could edit the heck out of it on PC. I know there are still many PC players still playing that.
Old 09-15-2011, 02:31 PM   #8
pissed, or parkinson's?

adayinthelife's Arena

OVR: 22

Not sure I can pick a clear winner really. NHL 94 will always have a place on my shelf, but multi year franchises in 2004 and the general greatness of this gen are up there. I'll just list some highlights instead:

NHL '94. I actually still have a SNES and will pop NHL 94 in every now and then, especially with friends. It's mostly nostalgia, but what a fun game.

NHL '96 on Genesis was my first time playing any kind of season mode, and is probably to blame for BaGM being my biggest interest in the current series.

NHL '99 on N64 was actually pretty terrible when you think of it, but at the time I was just so stoked to be playing a 3d hockey game that it didn't matter.

NHL 2000 on PC was the only PC hockey game I ever played, but I had a great time. Have line up changes ever been so intuitive on console? Nah.

NHL 2004 was probably my favourite of last gen. The beginnings of the skill stick + game being released before I started college = hours of fun.

This gen is tough. With the exception of '10 (I don't know, it just had no staying power for me), I've liked each game more than the last. I haven't played '12 enough yet, but it does feel like the most refined version yet.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »