Home

The good ol days...

This is a discussion on The good ol days... within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-26-2011, 07:25 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 0
The good ol days...

Is there anybody out there, that can remember when the only Football games we could play was Electric Football with vibrating field?
Did you ever imagine the day when something like Madden would be here? And we could play Football with these graphics and using real rosters, and getting something essentially a Sim?
If only I could be like Michael J Fox, and go back in time to 1974.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-26-2011, 08:06 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 24
Re: The good ol days...

Yeah, me.

I actually saw an electric football game the other day at a garage sale.I kid you not; came with two "teams": Cowboys and Eagles. Even had an order form for more! (Copyright 1973,lol. Doubtful I could've ordered any more teams....)

It brought me back to when I was a tyke. My bro and I would play that thing all day, and thought it was the s*it!

No, I didn't buy it, nostalgia value notwithstanding.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:20 PM   #3
Pro

A friend of mine bought a brand new game with Ravens and Steelers about two years ago. So they're still in business. But the uniforms didnt look as cool as I remembered.
Anyway, my reason for posting this was due to all the complaining about AI, etc with Madden 12. I'm just saying that compared to 1974, this is unimaginable back in those days.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:30 PM   #4
Banned

OVR: 3

Look no further guys. Electric Football is alive and well. But unlike we remember as kids. I'm 52 yrs old and just got back into it 3 yrs ago. But now I play with Custom fields, custom teams, specific rule sets that use Zone Coverages, Passing Sticks to lead Receivers, timed stoppages of play to allow blocking and redirecting of ball carriers as well as Defensive players. Google Electric Football and checkout what comes up, or go to Miniaturefootball.org you can also checkout The MPFL Miniature Professional Football League (mpflfootball.com). There are leagues all over the country, and conventions that take place. ESPN is considering showing an Electric Football Tournament in May. I have 2 custom fields, 18 Custom Pro Teams, and about 30 College teams. It's amazing.

Last edited by Carlboy82; 09-26-2011 at 09:14 PM.
Old 09-26-2011, 09:50 PM   #5
The Living Legend

LivingLegend's Arena

OVR: 14

I remember when the best football game was a little hand held game that used red dots for players. That's how far back I go.
Chicago Blackhawks
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-26-2011, 10:06 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 9

I'm 51...yeah remember that. We had a league...the EFL....played schedule and everything. Enjoyed it but I'd have killed for Madden back then.

If interested these are my Madden 12 sliders: http://www.operationsports.com/forum...dden-12-a.html
Old 09-26-2011, 10:09 PM   #7
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

In 1979 my Dad bought me a Super Bowl Electric Football game with the Rams and Steelers. I thought I was in heaven. We played that game every Sunday together for years.

I had the handheld Mattel Electronics football. But even better than that was the the second handheld they came out with called Football 2 it was the green colored handheld that you can not only run (which was the only thing you could do in the original) but you had a pass button. I would play that game for hours and do play by play in my head. Yep...it was simple with red dots. But it was the latest and greatest at the time.

Then of course Statis Pro football and Stratomatic football. I preferred Statis Pro. I still have my Super Star Talking Football from Parker Brothers which is an awesome game which I have played with my 7 year old son a few times.

This is why I greatly appreciate my video sports game affection and feel there has never been a better time for sports gaming than right now.

Madden has blown me away this year.

When you come from these kinds of roots you tend to appreciate how far we have come. Kids today have no clue how to use their imagination...they think this is how it always had been.

LMAO.

I drank water from a garden hose (I am still here, healthy as a horse), and played ball outside till dusk every day.

Man how times have changed.
Rise of the Ronin (PS5)
Star Wars Battlefront I and II Remastered (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23
Old 09-26-2011, 10:09 PM   #8
MVP

OVR: 6

I just long for madden 05, 06 days....

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »