Home

Official NBA 2K12 Impressions Thread (IMPRESSIONS ONLY)

This is a discussion on Official NBA 2K12 Impressions Thread (IMPRESSIONS ONLY) within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-28-2011, 10:38 AM   #1
WTF
MVP

WTF's Arena

OVR: 50
Official NBA 2K12 Impressions Thread (IMPRESSIONS ONLY)

The other thread turned into a Q&A Session with those fortunate enough to have the game. This thread is for impressions only. Posts that are not impressions will be deleted. If you continue to spam the thread with non-impressions, infractions will be handed out.

For those with the game, please post your impressions. You can continue to post media and answer questions as you wish in the Q&A Thread and Media Thread respectively.

CONFIRMED Posters w/ the Game:

coolkidj23
kingofdasouf14
baseballguy
[email protected]
fatleg3
Footballforever
gmcrb28
Rawdeal28
eko718
SaC_KiNg09
FLIGHTWHITE
jonesha2000
jtdribbles25
clipperfan811
DonWuan
showbo1971
cjocan
Shawny1983
shmitty
KB2009Champ
Crazyknicksfan
Dtownballa
J-H!zZl3

Last edited by RGmoney; 10-03-2011 at 11:08 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-28-2011, 10:54 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: Official NBA 2K12 Impressions Thread (IMPRESSIONS ONLY)

Re-post from other thread :

Finished my first game and I got worked!! I tried to keep it "sim" and got ran out of the gym.
Quick hits (I didn't play the demo)

I was chicago against new York. I played on 12minute quarters real % on both shooting and free throws

•rebounding is tough, I was stubborn until the third quarter and didn't get rebounds until I started boxing out.

•Commentary is nice! Kerr talked about his GM days and how he interviewed and wished he hired Tibs from Chicago.

•Presentation is smooth with several camera angles throughout game. Even saw a Knicks intro with Stat running like his name was announced through a tunnel of teammates.

•Play-calling is different on the Dpad and will take some getting use too.
  • one quick "little" thing, Korver stumbled coming from an "off-ball" screen from contact of another player and completely ruined my play

I lost the game bad! it was 23-25 after one quarter and it hit the fan in the 2nd. Rose struggled, and Noah got in early foul trouble so I was killed on the boards. It's like the computer was targeting whoever I was controlling on defense. It was embarrassingly obvious that they knew I couldn't "d" up yet. I couldn't play Korver at all bc they would call off ball screens (this year they really don't fight through screens they rather switch assignment) and iso melo on the block. I didn't get to the freethrow line until late and it honestly felt like the refs were just trying to even out the calls lol.

The game puts a big emphasis on stars but the role players are huge especially on the boards.

Last edited by kingofdasouf14; 09-28-2011 at 07:05 PM.
Old 09-28-2011, 06:52 PM   #3
Pro

OVR: 7

Just started playing. I can say this...

If you thought the demo was a bit tough to control, you'll love the full game. It's so much better.

Also, fans in OKC don't sit till the Thunder score a basket. Nice touch by 2K.

You REALLY need to be aware of the pump fakes. Shooters will get you up in the air, lean into you, and draw fouls. Dirk just drew two quick ones on Ibaka.

Shot release is much improved. 2K11 wasn't very exact in my opinion. This year, you almost need to hold the stick back until the ball is about to come off the shooter's fingers.

The player models are much better Overall, the game is graphically great. You can really appreciate the small details from the broadcast cam.

One nice addition is that there are more shooting fouls on jump shots. As Westbrook, I came off of a screen, the defender trapped me, and swiped at the ball while I was going for a shot It resulted in a foul and a nice animation with Westbrook flailing his hands in the air after getting hacked. Loved it

There's a real risk and reward for running the break and crashing offensive glass. The AI will exploit what you're doing if you're not careful. You must adjust.

The new quick defensive adjustments are useful. I was getting murdered in the paint for a while, so I set the option to lock down the inside and it made a noticeable change. Forced the opponent to take more jumpers.

So far, in my small sample of one game on All-Star/Sim, the stats are relatively realistic. I'm encouraged by this. See my screenshots in the QA thread.

The AI is very smart in regards to attacking your star players. The key here is to, again, play like it's real basketball. You are rewarded for finding the open shooter. In my case because I play with OKC, Thabo gets left open a lot because the shooting guard shades towards Durant. Even though Thabo is a mediocre shooter, if you can get the ball to him in these spots, he'll make the open looks.

Westbrook is explosive. So much fun to use. And Durant's shot is silky.

The Y button is a great tool when you really learn how to use it. The post game is so much more versatile.

Last edited by baseballguy; 09-29-2011 at 09:18 AM.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:13 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 0

this is the greatest game of all time
Old 09-28-2011, 10:32 PM   #5
Aka."Footballforever"

RoyalBoyle78's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkidj23
this is the greatest game of all time
As far as sports, I'm really thinking this. I mean from throwing the legends for the 90's thats my bread and butter, I'm 32 and the 90's IMO was the best era of the NBA by far, disagree that's cool. To me thats all I ever wanted. Lock out or not the legend teams will bring it back for me, love it.
N.Y Islanders
Miami Hurricanes

Twitter - @RoyalBoyle78
XBOX LIVE - Royalboyle78
PSN - RoyalBoyle78
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-28-2011, 11:34 PM   #6
Banned

OVR: 9

hopefully i can post my impressions.... i was lucky to get the game today..posted pic of my game in post#430 in the "where is it thread" again post #430... wont upload here for some reason

anyway ive been playing for about the past 6 hours jumping around and im going to give some random thoughts..

I am not one to do this but i feel obligated because of the efforts from the vet's at os that make these games so much better..

this game is the best sports game espically basketball game ever!!!!!!

you will feel like your in the nba when you play...

kemp came down the lane and posterized me with his signature windmill cocked back was on a fast break and i was on his side....save replay will post tomm.

l.bird is a beast lit me up for like 40..banking shots from all over..

anyway ill post some pic's of things tomm.

first word is organic basketball!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you never know what is going to happen play to play ..possesion to possession.

im playing all star and have made some slider adjustments similar to last year sliders. all i can say is the cpu is the real deal...sometimes there patient with there offense, sometimes they break, sometimes the screen and roll .. the cpu will find your weakness if you help and just try to roam..

fast breaks are sweet and so damm realistic,,, the ball bounces off the rim in so many different ways..
rebounding is about boxing out and effort...guys like rodman fly all over the place...there hustle attributes must be high...

played alot with old school players and teams and they all play to signature.

they way they dribble,move,rebound,pass etc...im serious right now i dont think this game needs a patch!!!!

stats :when i simmmed several seasons everything looks real good...i put about 10 old teams in one season also.
magic won mvp and lakers old school beat the heat... in that season

jordan led the league in scoring at 32. something

the 2nd season with old school teams...on the screen in the nba .com they had pictue of magic saying lakers set to defend there title...dont know if last years game was able to know if old school teams weree in the season setup.

ran other sim seasons with all regular teams lebron won mvp both times

denver nuggets won championship and heat won the other.

all player stats look right ...rebounding looked low one year as the league leader only avg 11 or so but then the next year d.howard avg..13 or so

win loss records looked good in the 82 game sim didnt take pic's but looked good

the old school season i did was 29 game sim old school bulls only lost 3 games..

injurys look good. cpu trades looked pretty good.. alot of small trades some didnt make sense but nothing crazy..also cpu trades draft picks, resign's there young talent and vet. talent.

played like 5 full games only won 1..all loss's felt real...i can not stress you have to play real basketball as if your part of a team.
again i will post my sliders for 2k12 as a base like i did last year.

guys who know my sliders understand that i want to make as tough on the human player possible to win with keeping it organic and sim..

the players are silky smoothe to control nothing like the demo!!!!!

Y is your best friend people as you can post up and face up so sweet...

I will never play nba 2k11 again!!!!!!!

im rambling but hopefully im helping people with my thoughts..

the players look so real...the way they move and gyrate when doing anything ..it just looks right...hard to explain but i never have done anything whether trying to save a pass,block a shot etc... and said that doesnt look right..

guys have weight to them im telling you....boy when you over rotate it is hard to get back... REWARDING WHEN YOU PLAY TEAM BALL

Last edited by [email protected]; 09-29-2011 at 07:51 AM. Reason: just cleaning up my thoughts and adding some more info..
Old 09-29-2011, 11:10 AM   #7
Vni
Hall Of Fame

Vni's Arena

OVR: 23

Less quote/comments and more impressions in my opinion. Couldn't we just limit our interaction with this topic to 'likes'?
Old 09-29-2011, 03:14 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 2
Here are all the Association changes ive noticed simming 1 season.

I simmed 1 season heres the stuff I have noticed that are different in Association from 2k11. Almost all of it is very small stuff.

Contract Extension menu. Where you can resign your players. Nice menu will tell you if a player is undecided, wants to resign, or wont resign because of his morale or because hes retiring.

2 weeks before contract extentions end warning & you are about to pass the Player Resigning Deadling Warning.

Split stats in the player card Right stick button menu.
Similar to this.
http://espn.go.com/nba/player/splits...10/kobe-bryant

Player Awards after season arent all on screen like 2k11 you press left and right to cycle between them. Not sure if I explained that right, but its no biggie just slightly diffent I noticed so thought id mention it.

Off Season stuff

Draft Lottery is now the first thing on the list followed by White House visit, Staff Signing, Team/Player options, then QUalifying offers. Everything the same after that on list from what I noticed.

Draft Lottery different in terms of the graphic it shows, but nothing really just slightly different.

After white house visits a pop up warns you which coaches's contracts has expired.

Player Resigning Screen. Under Status of the player it says Test FA or Expired. The ones that say Expired you can negotiate with. If you try to resing a player it will tell you on the offer screen how much of the MLE you will have left if you resign him without bird rights. It also seems that when you make an offer it isnt accepted right away you wait to the start of the free agent period to see if its accepted. For instance I didng accept Andrew Bynums team option to see if I can resign him offered then right when the free agent period started I checked my rosters and he was there with the contract I offered it didnt give me a msg telling me he resigned though.

NBA Draft. Has David Stern announcing like in My player mode. Adds nicely to the presentation. If there is a trade David Stern says we have a trade to announce and shows the trade graphic like last year. I didnt notice Stern say any names just stuff like "With the 1st pick the Suns select the 20 year old Small Forward. Adam Silver does the 2nd round like announced in the my player insight. I did noticed Silver announce some names during the draft not every name but some.

Free Agentcy seems different. More of the big time players are there. Which is more realistic that they listen to offers from other teams before resigning.

I offered Batum the full MLE wit a 5th year player option.After every free agent day it goes to a screen where it shows your cap spce, MLE remaning, Team needs, Accepted offeres and Pending offers. Under Pending offers it shows Status under Batum as Mulling Offers. Press Start and it goes to day 2. You no longer can see the offers a player has from what I can see. You can only see the amount of offers a player has for instance day 2 CHris Paul has 1 and Derrick Rose has 3.

Day 2 Batum was still mulling offers. Day 3 he decided to sign with me. However Blazers matched the offer sheet and kept him. Then I went after Al-Farouq Aminu for the MLE, but the Pistons matched the offer sheet and he stayed there. Noticed most of the restricted Free Agents if not all went back to their original teams which probably means the offers were matched which would happen in real life.

After you advance to the season I noticed there was no preseason games just straight to the season. Started a new association and noticed Preseason games are off by default when you start a new one. So you have to turn them on if you want them when you start a new association.

So thats all I noticed different. Nothing major in terms of non gameplay. I havent played an association game so cant tell you about the commentary.

Oh and no LLE signing exception. If you dont know what that is. Its like the MLE but a much lower amount and you can only use it once every 2 years.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »