Home

Most important defensive positions

This is a discussion on Most important defensive positions within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-06-2011, 08:23 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 3
Most important defensive positions

This is always debated in football, and on offense its pretty much cemented that a franchise quarterback trumps all other positions. However on defense its a little bit more open, but even then I think most people agree that the pass rusher whether it be a 3-4 OLB, or a DE, the person that attacks the best player on the field is most important.

However madden doesn't always represent the positions entirely well. Personally, I haven't had a whole lot of luck with defensive ends this year. Instead, the big guys on the defensive line like Suh and Ngata seem to have the biggest impact to me both in the run and passing game. The next would probably be a guy like Revis or Bailey who really take away certain options for an offense. Its always nice to not be worried about putting a corner in single coverage and rolling coverage to the other side, or getting aggresive and blitzing without worry that they'll just chuck it up to Andre or Larry.

So what about you? What position is most important on defense? (In madden)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-06-2011, 11:39 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Most important defensive positions

I'd say MLB/ILB is one of the more important positions. You really notice it when you have--or play against--a guy like Patrick Willis who can really fly around and make tackles left and right, and react quickly to passes over the middle.
Old 10-07-2011, 12:39 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 6

For me it is CB.
I always shut down the run regardless of how good my line and linebackers are. All I need is my corners to shut the pass down.
Old 10-07-2011, 01:34 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhone
I'd say MLB/ILB is one of the more important positions. You really notice it when you have--or play against--a guy like Patrick Willis who can really fly around and make tackles left and right, and react quickly to passes over the middle.
I 2nd this. MLB's are the QB of the Defense. I always build my D's around my type of MLB. Once I get him in place, everything just seems to come together...and fast.

I'm making all the calls and adjustments of course, but after they're made, having "your guy" being able to execute it is something awesome.

For me, and also in real life, I feel MLB is #1.
Old 10-07-2011, 02:43 AM   #5
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxtrot2873
This is always debated in football, and on offense its pretty much cemented that a franchise quarterback trumps all other positions. However on defense its a little bit more open, but even then I think most people agree that the pass rusher whether it be a 3-4 OLB, or a DE, the person that attacks the best player on the field is most important.

However madden doesn't always represent the positions entirely well. Personally, I haven't had a whole lot of luck with defensive ends this year. Instead, the big guys on the defensive line like Suh and Ngata seem to have the biggest impact to me both in the run and passing game. The next would probably be a guy like Revis or Bailey who really take away certain options for an offense. Its always nice to not be worried about putting a corner in single coverage and rolling coverage to the other side, or getting aggresive and blitzing without worry that they'll just chuck it up to Andre or Larry.

So what about you? What position is most important on defense? (In madden)
Linebackers.

They can blitz, cover, attack the run, be all around weapons if you have a good group of them.

They are like the "queens" of the defensive chessboard. They can do everything - and are usually responsible for a lot of things. They have to be solid, imo.

The defensive line counts on them to attack the gaps they create or when they stop the point of attack. Pass defense can either need them to cover or blitz. They roam that intermediate area where a lot of plays come across or need to go through.

Good LBs can be your run D. Good LBs can help your coverage by getting pass rush. Good LBs can really help your team, imo. About the only thing they can't do is cover WR - and even then, good zone and a lot of Cover 2/3/4/6 plays...they can be in the area at least to make a play.

Ngata, though, is tough for me on the end. I didn't move him to DT so he's coming off the edge and can do some damage.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-07-2011, 03:03 AM   #6
MVP

lisinas's Arena

OVR: 5

From my experience playing both Panthers and 49ers i can easily say its MLB.
When i was using panthers Beason was hands down best defensive player for me , same about P.Willis when i was using 49ers.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:02 AM   #7
MVP

OVR: 1

i agree on mlb, more so in 3-4 than 4-3. as a brit i may be wrong but i see 4-3 mlb more coverage than tackle, and both mlbs in 3-4 as tackle before coverage?

i focus on both mlbs, one usually better at coverage than the other. given the option i prefer lbs for the variety they can give. for nickel i prefer 2-4-5 or i convert 4-2-5 to 2-4-5
Old 10-07-2011, 11:09 AM   #8
Rookie

Ghostciv's Arena

OVR: 1

I like speed Lb's. With speed u can do it all stop the run, help with pass, Blitz the qb and make him hurry up or even track down a speedy qb. i can play with 70 something cb's and dline but if my Lb's are weak it throws my whole defense off. Main reason why i'm loving the phins defense right now with Wake,Taylor and Dansby

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »