Home

Advice on how to improve my game

This is a discussion on Advice on how to improve my game within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-24-2012, 02:53 PM   #1
Rookie

NoPropsNeeded's Arena

OVR: 1
Advice on how to improve my game

I know it's long but it would be much appreciated if I could get some help. I'm in an association, 10 mins/quarter, default sliders, all star difficulty and currently 8 games in at a record of 0-8. Constantly getting beat by double digits except one game I lost by 2, to Cleveland. In the games I've played I'm actually playing pretty competitive in the 1st half being up or only down by 2-3 points usually, it's the 2nd half where my troubles begin. Please help me in theses areas of my game.

1. REBOUNDING - My biggest issue in my game so far. At first I thought it was my players out there, using the raptors having a front court of Bargnani and Amir Johnson. I just thought I lacked size and strength so I was able to get Roy Hibbert via trade but he's only averaging 4.3 RPG playing 30 minutes per game and the CPU is constantly grabbing offensive rebounds like nothing. In my game I just played Phoenix grabbed 19 O boards, I grabbed 6.

2. INTERIOR DEFENSE - Another big issue in my game. Again I thought this was just because of the personnel I had on the court. So I traded for Roy Hibbert thinking this would help me solidify the paint, boy was I wrong. Again using the Phoenix game as an example they scored 68 of their 90 points in the paint. Guards are penetrating and using some spin post moves that are unguardable. I'm not even attempting to block anymore I'm staying grounded using the RS to defend.

3. PASSING/TURNOVERS - My passing/turnover woes seem to only happen in the 2nd half. Whether it be trying to pass to a person coming off of a screen but I hand it to the defender infront of me instead or trying to pass it to someone in the post but he moves at the last second which leads to a steal. It leads them to get into a fast break and gives them complete momentum. I think the problem is that I'm icon passing, but most of the time I don't icon pass, I pass it to someone I never intended to pass too which also leads to turnovers.

4. GLIDING OUT OF POSITION - Not sure if this is fixable, but everytime I try to pass it to someone who's open for a mid range jumper, sometimes he somehow glides out of position towards the 3pt line. It kills me because I don't have good 3pt shooters on my team.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-24-2012, 02:55 PM   #2
Pro

OVR: 8
Re: Advice on how to improve my game

Finding a slider set is your best bet to help you improve. The game with default everything plays extremely poorly.
Old 01-24-2012, 03:02 PM   #3
Rookie

NoPropsNeeded's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlingBling19
Finding a slider set is your best bet to help you improve. The game with default everything plays extremely poorly.
To be honest I don't like messing with sliders because I play online quite a bit and over at other people's houses so I like to keep sliders consistent. So for me to mess with sliders would be the absolute last resort. But if you were able to recommend some sliders I might try them out.
Old 01-24-2012, 03:03 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 2

^Second that. Just find a good set of sliders and every player plays like they should.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:46 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 9

Most of that stuff is gameplay errors and can't be fixed..

For offball defense sag your PF'S & C's if you play a lot of man.

I would suggest to youtube Da Czar's videos, it helped me a lot with playing D and other things...

Sag off bad shooters helps for on and off ball defense.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-25-2012, 08:48 AM   #6
MVP

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoPropsNeeded
I know it's long but it would be much appreciated if I could get some help. I'm in an association, 10 mins/quarter, default sliders, all star difficulty and currently 8 games in at a record of 0-8. Constantly getting beat by double digits except one game I lost by 2, to Cleveland. In the games I've played I'm actually playing pretty competitive in the 1st half being up or only down by 2-3 points usually, it's the 2nd half where my troubles begin. Please help me in theses areas of my game.

1. REBOUNDING - My biggest issue in my game so far. At first I thought it was my players out there, using the raptors having a front court of Bargnani and Amir Johnson. I just thought I lacked size and strength so I was able to get Roy Hibbert via trade but he's only averaging 4.3 RPG playing 30 minutes per game and the CPU is constantly grabbing offensive rebounds like nothing. In my game I just played Phoenix grabbed 19 O boards, I grabbed 6.

2. INTERIOR DEFENSE - Another big issue in my game. Again I thought this was just because of the personnel I had on the court. So I traded for Roy Hibbert thinking this would help me solidify the paint, boy was I wrong. Again using the Phoenix game as an example they scored 68 of their 90 points in the paint. Guards are penetrating and using some spin post moves that are unguardable. I'm not even attempting to block anymore I'm staying grounded using the RS to defend.

3. PASSING/TURNOVERS - My passing/turnover woes seem to only happen in the 2nd half. Whether it be trying to pass to a person coming off of a screen but I hand it to the defender infront of me instead or trying to pass it to someone in the post but he moves at the last second which leads to a steal. It leads them to get into a fast break and gives them complete momentum. I think the problem is that I'm icon passing, but most of the time I don't icon pass, I pass it to someone I never intended to pass too which also leads to turnovers.

4. GLIDING OUT OF POSITION - Not sure if this is fixable, but everytime I try to pass it to someone who's open for a mid range jumper, sometimes he somehow glides out of position towards the 3pt line. It kills me because I don't have good 3pt shooters on my team.

1. you have to manually box out. once the shot is taken, icon switch to a player closet to the basket. as long as you box out one cpu player it should allow your teammates to get the ball. this year you have to play hard on every possession. offense, defense, rebounding. if you aren't aggressive in boxing out the cpu they will constantly get offensive rebounds.

2. do you set your defense in the defense match-up screen or do you use the defense quick plays on the d-pad? if you use the quick plays there is the option to lock down the paint. that should help out on drives into the paint. you have to be careful though because it leaves shooters open. in the defense match up screen you can choose to sag off of players that have great driving ability but weak jumpshot ability. playing someone too close with driving ability is a good way to get beat to the basket. also if your guy gets by you, icon switch to the next closet defender and try to cut him off. you can also try using the intense defense modifer (left trigger) along with the RS to challenge shots more effectively without jumping. in this year's game you can still move your player while in the hands up defense position.

3. it's best to icon pass at all times. at least you know where the ball will go. do you have directional passing (RS) set up in the options menu? i use directional passing on fastbreaks. easier to pass the ball this way when there are less defenders to worry about. passing using the rightstick also seems to trigger "fancy" passes. also you can set your playcalling to auto with playvision set to lite. with lite playvision you just have to follow the circle icons and the "a" icon comes up on the player(s) that are to receive the pass. running plays gets guys wide open, cutting down on turnovers. don't try to force passes.

4. sounds like you could be using lead passing. do you push the LS in a certain direction when you pass the ball? if so, just leave the LS neutral on your pass attempts. lead passing can be effective if used correctly. push the LS in the direction you want to send the player while you pass the ball. they will move to that position while catching the pass, creating open shots.
Old 01-25-2012, 12:23 PM   #7
Rookie

NoPropsNeeded's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bo_jax2000
1. you have to manually box out. once the shot is taken, icon switch to a player closet to the basket. as long as you box out one cpu player it should allow your teammates to get the ball. this year you have to play hard on every possession. offense, defense, rebounding. if you aren't aggressive in boxing out the cpu they will constantly get offensive rebounds.

2. do you set your defense in the defense match-up screen or do you use the defense quick plays on the d-pad? if you use the quick plays there is the option to lock down the paint. that should help out on drives into the paint. you have to be careful though because it leaves shooters open. in the defense match up screen you can choose to sag off of players that have great driving ability but weak jumpshot ability. playing someone too close with driving ability is a good way to get beat to the basket. also if your guy gets by you, icon switch to the next closet defender and try to cut him off. you can also try using the intense defense modifer (left trigger) along with the RS to challenge shots more effectively without jumping. in this year's game you can still move your player while in the hands up defense position.

3. it's best to icon pass at all times. at least you know where the ball will go. do you have directional passing (RS) set up in the options menu? i use directional passing on fastbreaks. easier to pass the ball this way when there are less defenders to worry about. passing using the rightstick also seems to trigger "fancy" passes. also you can set your playcalling to auto with playvision set to lite. with lite playvision you just have to follow the circle icons and the "a" icon comes up on the player(s) that are to receive the pass. running plays gets guys wide open, cutting down on turnovers. don't try to force passes.

4. sounds like you could be using lead passing. do you push the LS in a certain direction when you pass the ball? if so, just leave the LS neutral on your pass attempts. lead passing can be effective if used correctly. push the LS in the direction you want to send the player while you pass the ball. they will move to that position while catching the pass, creating open shots.
Thanks man great advice especially about rebounding as I would tend to watch and expect my bigs to grab the board. For some reason I never thought about using the quick play on the D-Pad for defense, they still score the occasional "cheesy" basket but my defense has greatly improved. I'm currently down 3 at half against the bucks, but I can already see an overall improvement from my game.
Old 01-25-2012, 03:49 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 0

Learn how to euro-step, and it will add at least 10-20 points to your score guarnenteed

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »