Home

Ok, the comeback AI is just ridiculous

This is a discussion on Ok, the comeback AI is just ridiculous within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 06:40 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
Ok, the comeback AI is just ridiculous

I know no one really wants to read a rant, but if I don't, I'm going to want to never play the game again.

I was already getting irritated at having all my games suspiciously end with a less than 5 point margin, but then it got completely absurd. I was playing the Heat, who I kind of expected to lose against, but somehow I ended up with a 25 point lead. I was playing good D against LeBron, Wade didn't do much, Bosh was semi-productive. I knew the comeback run was coming, but one of my players caught fire at the end of the 3rd, so I was still up 25 going into the 4th.

Then with the big 3 out of the game, the Heat bench players just start making everything. Norris Cole and Udonis Haslem are making driving fadeaway layups with 3 guys all over them. And of course, I can't score anything. At one point, they run an idiotic Cole/Wade/James Jones/Mike Miller/Bosh lineup, but Mike Miller can somehow guard Josh Smith perfectly, and Miami guys come out of nowhere for the block on multiple plays. I still won, because I just started running down the clock before putting up my missed shot, but it was ridiculous.

It's not that I want to win every game, I would rather have lost to Miami than have them go on an inexplicable 20-0 run with physics-violating field goals. I know people have ranted about stuff like this before, but I'm really frustrated that all sports developers still put this comeback AI in games. It feels pointless playing when the only way to stop every game from coming down to a last second shot is to do nothing but run clock.

Playing on pro with adjusted sliders, clutch factor is off and CPU clutch is set to 0. I've already tried everything I know of to eliminate this.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-17-2012, 08:55 AM   #2
MVP

KyotoCarl's Arena

OVR: 26
First of all; there are lots of threads about this so you could've just posted a post in one of those instead of creating a new thread.

Second; are we playing the same game? I play on the same settings as you and i don't get what you're getting. There are games here and there where the CPU goes on a run but it doesn't happen every game, and I'm sure it doesn't for you either.
Most people only seem to remember the games where the cpu miracuously geta back but don't remember the games where they win by 10-15 points.

My thoughts on how replays should be handled:
http://www.operationsports.com/Kyoto...plays-replays/
Old 03-17-2012, 09:03 AM   #3
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: Ok, the comeback AI is just ridiculous

I am sure if you search this forum thoroughly, you will find me ranting about the A.I. and how ridiculous it is.

After playing several games, watching CPU vs CPU play, observing the tactics used; simple answer to preventing comeback A.I. is adjusting. Mike Miller is playing tight glue defense because the CPU adjusted. You can do the same - go to coaching profiles and increase the Defensive Pressure slider. NBA 2K12 imitates real basketball strategy, you must do the same. If you have a 20 point lead, use up a lot of the clock, call time outs when they score at least 6 points on you to slow down the CPU. There is just so much, an abundance of strategies.
Old 03-17-2012, 09:29 AM   #4
Pro

dramachild11's Arena

OVR: 7

just an example of how the nba works IRL, last night (3/16/12) the spurs absolutely destroyed the thunder in the first half (up by 20+ at halftime) but through the next quarter an a half the thunder cut that lead down to 2 points before eventually losing, the nba really is a game of runs so a 20 point lead isnt as safe as it might be in say football for instance... i think your main gripe is how the cpu comes back with seemingly impossible shots
Old 03-17-2012, 11:06 AM   #5
Hall Of Fame

Flightwhite24's Arena

OVR: 34

More times than not I am a believer in making adjustments and it pretty much takes care if this type of thing. Occassionaly I like it when the cpu becomes instoppable. Makes the games more enjoyable for me.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-17-2012, 11:27 AM   #6
Banned

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramachild11
just an example of how the nba works IRL, last night (3/16/12) the spurs absolutely destroyed the thunder in the first half (up by 20+ at halftime) but through the next quarter an a half the thunder cut that lead down to 2 points before eventually losing, the nba really is a game of runs so a 20 point lead isnt as safe as it might be in say football for instance... i think your main gripe is how the cpu comes back with seemingly impossible shots
ok with you but can you explain me for my part pippen against the hawks, 1st half i m able to do a free throw, and in the second half, every time i make a free throw it's not good. (don't tel me i don't know free throw's pippen i played a lot of game in hof with 96 bulls since 2k11)

just about free throw, explain me that. my controller tremble and the joystick is not as usual.

imagine the score is 65-59 and you come back in the game (1st half you win by 10 pts) but the second half is impossible to play you don't know why. but you successed to come back, pippen make a 2+1 action, and pippen missed the free throw = 65-61 and no 65-62 and it's happened to me several times in the second half with pippen, and you don't know why free throw is impossible!!!

cpu take every offensiv rebond it's new for me, i had never see that in december and january. i don't know why since a moment it's impossible to take a def rebond.
3 scdes in the paint is not whislte or cpu go to limit every time 2.99 scdes and official didn't whislte!!!

lay up are impossible to stop, mid-range are impossible to stop, there is always a fake you can't imagine!! too much stuff are really strange.
cpu got all the three point each time a little wild open.
2 solutions i think, get the ps3 turn off during 2 weeks, or play with your ps3 to another game during 2 weeks, and the cell will think to other things that kill us!!!

Last edited by PennyHard; 03-17-2012 at 11:58 AM.
Old 03-17-2012, 11:54 AM   #7
MVP

OVR: 12

Only time i see cpu comeback is when i play how they want me to. But set your team to get back on d when youre up 10-20 pts. Run the play clock. :O hof settings so its not like the cpu doesnt know how to play.
Old 03-17-2012, 12:05 PM   #8
Banned

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by eF 5ive
Only time i see cpu comeback is when i play how they want me to. But set your team to get back on d when youre up 10-20 pts. Run the play clock. :O hof settings so its not like the cpu doesnt know how to play.
i tried to change coach profil, and in the beginning of my season i won game with 96 bulls in HOF, for 1 months i think, cpu is strange with me, it's over HOF, maybe HOF with a new power, do you know dragon ball Z, when they talk about power very high power for Freezer or Sangoku when he is a supersayan, or SanGohan when he is better than Cell!!!
cpu hasn't got limit in this difficulty. HOF it was rookie before!!! now it's the devil!!!!!

Last edited by PennyHard; 03-17-2012 at 12:07 PM.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »