Home

Is Madden 13 creeping closer to HC09?

This is a discussion on Is Madden 13 creeping closer to HC09? within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-03-2012, 08:44 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 8
Is Madden 13 creeping closer to HC09?

On the main OS page it indicates that Madden 13 will incorporate a coach mode into it's connected careers with the next Title Update (patch?) on 16 October.

I find this tremendously interesting and definitely tempting me towards exploring Madden 13 more. I'd like to see if what the HC09 community thinks.

The common elements are certainly there now. Draft classes, coaches, playbooks, etc.

Whilst there are other elements that are not quite there, like coach progressions and I believe the contracts and trades are done differently (no GM rating means that YOU, the user, define what you want to offer as a trade package and contract offer. This is just my understanding so correct me if i'm wrong).

So please, if you have the time and inclination then let us discuss. I'm loving HC09 more than any other game in a long long time. Makes me wonder, would Madden 13 disappoint? Or with the upcoming introduction of a true coach mode, would Madden 13 provide a true alternative to HC09?

Cheers.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-04-2012, 01:51 AM   #2
Pro

thedudescrew's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: Is Madden 13 creeping closer to HC09?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarek
On the main OS page it indicates that Madden 13 will incorporate a coach mode into it's connected careers with the next Title Update (patch?) on 16 October.

I find this tremendously interesting and definitely tempting me towards exploring Madden 13 more. I'd like to see if what the HC09 community thinks.

The common elements are certainly there now. Draft classes, coaches, playbooks, etc.

Whilst there are other elements that are not quite there, like coach progressions and I believe the contracts and trades are done differently (no GM rating means that YOU, the user, define what you want to offer as a trade package and contract offer. This is just my understanding so correct me if i'm wrong).

So please, if you have the time and inclination then let us discuss. I'm loving HC09 more than any other game in a long long time. Makes me wonder, would Madden 13 disappoint? Or with the upcoming introduction of a true coach mode, would Madden 13 provide a true alternative to HC09?

Cheers.
As much as the pure coach mode for Madden 13 will be I don't think it will quite compete with HC09 for me. I like the hiring/firing of my positional coaches and coordinators. Until it has that it will never be better then HC09. There is so much depth in this game that I don't think Looman and Moore could ever incorporate a true HC09 feel to Madden. I would love it but I am big on the HC09 depth and will not be picking up Madden 13 anytime soon. Even if they have patches to start adding things in. It will never be HC09. Just my opinion and everyone is welcome to have one.
Old 10-04-2012, 01:35 PM   #3
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarek

Cheers.
I have Madden 13 and it's resting comfortably in the CD/DVD rack. If the new Coach Mode is like the old Coach Mode from last year, then it's not a big deal to me. The way my QB is handled by the CPU is not realistic. Rogers will not scramble for one thing. However, the roster would be current and that alone makes it interesting.

Now, I like HC 09 but there are issues that leave me cold. One such issue is not being able to change coach reaction. I have both Xbox 360 and PS3, so I decided to get HC 09 for PS3 in the hope the game works as it should, especially for coach reaction.

All that said, there is still one glaring issue with HC 09 that infuriates me, call audibles. I am pretty sure Madden 13's coach mode will allow audibles both on defense and offense.

Our situations are very different because I already have Madden 13.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:56 PM   #4
Rookie

Winnipeg59's Arena

OVR: 24

Unfortunately there is another glaring issue. HC09 is getting older daily.
And equally unfortunate is that no amount of kicking and screaming will ever get it reworked and updated, even if only rosters. That truly is a shame.

Great game. Very in-depth.
And, not that it will ever matter, if it just had "random" draft classes - which I know is virutally impossible because of the storylines - it would still be the near-perfect game.

Once Madden gets to "HC v.2" (or there is a HC v.2...sorry, still dreaming) I'm back in.

HC09 dynasty - Rebuilding the Raiders - "Russell Rulz"
Old 10-04-2012, 08:45 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 26

I think it's closer-but you will need to wait for '14 to see if they fixed all the problems in 2013-especially the ability to edit rosters.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-04-2012, 09:22 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavicchi
I have Madden 13 and it's resting comfortably in the CD/DVD rack. If the new Coach Mode is like the old Coach Mode from last year, then it's not a big deal to me. The way my QB is handled by the CPU is not realistic. Rogers will not scramble for one thing. However, the roster would be current and that alone makes it interesting.

Now, I like HC 09 but there are issues that leave me cold. One such issue is not being able to change coach reaction. I have both Xbox 360 and PS3, so I decided to get HC 09 for PS3 in the hope the game works as it should, especially for coach reaction.

All that said, there is still one glaring issue with HC 09 that infuriates me, call audibles. I am pretty sure Madden 13's coach mode will allow audibles both on defense and offense.

Our situations are very different because I already have Madden 13.

Since when do coaches call audibles? I think Madden is more your game if not being able to call audibles put yr HC on the shelf or am I not understanding what you're saying there?

Also, I don't know if you're the same person that asked this before but what do you mean change reactions? All you're supposed to do is say yes or no basically.

I don't think Madden is there yet with HC. But like that rookie you drafted with 93 POT but 75 OVR right now, do you play him now and accept the growing pains or do u keep him on the bench for a year to develop and start him next year.

see what i did there
Old 10-04-2012, 10:34 PM   #7
Rookie

ShakaFlocka's Arena

OVR: 5

To answer this question, yes.

By default Madden is getting closer to Head Coach because Josh Looman has a major role with developing Madden now. Does that mean the games are that comparable? No.

I, and tons others, will play Madden to receive one type of specific game play. That is to play the game, control the players, to listen to the updated sounds and commentary, to see the update graphics, to play with updated rosters, for Connected Careers, etc.

At the same time....

Nothing will compare to Head Coach in terms of sheer depth of the game, strategy of the game and replay value. It's for the niche gamer and that niche gamer will never view Madden as "close" to Head Coach.

Closer? Yes. Close? No. They are Apples and Oranges: Both food, but very different in taste.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:39 PM   #8
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloeyEZ
Since when do coaches call audibles? I think Madden is more your game if not being able to call audibles put yr HC on the shelf or am I not understanding what you're saying there?

Also, I don't know if you're the same person that asked this before but what do you mean change reactions? All you're supposed to do is say yes or no basically.

I don't think Madden is there yet with HC. But like that rookie you drafted with 93 POT but 75 OVR right now, do you play him now and accept the growing pains or do u keep him on the bench for a year to develop and start him next year.

see what i did there
The reason I complain about audibles is the simple fact the CPU can do it. The CPU can do it on offense and very likely on defense as well. If I can't call audibles because I'm not the QB, then let my QB call them, as well as my defensive captain. Anyway, I'm not so sure the HC in real football can't "talk" to the QB and call a play--you know, like through the earpiece or whatever.

No, I cannot change coach reaction and explained that in the thread I started, which is where you should ask that question if what I wrote doesn't explain.

I did not say HC was put on the shelf, which should have been very clear:

I have Madden 13 and it's resting comfortably in the CD/DVD rack

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »