Home

why is it if you can play shut down defense but cant score you are a terrible player?

This is a discussion on why is it if you can play shut down defense but cant score you are a terrible player? within the Pro Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-17-2012, 09:22 PM   #1
Pro

pw_1016's Arena

OVR: 7
why is it if you can play shut down defense but cant score you are a terrible player?

There are so many players in the NBA that can't play defense but are excellent scorers, yet people consider these players to be great or elite (Carmelo Anthony is one that comes to mind.. I love the guy but he is not defensive minded) . However, any time you talk about a player that is good on defense but doesn't score that many points , people debate whether the guy is actually a good player at all (example : Kendrick Perkins) . I don' t get it. I would think that in order to be considered a great player you must be great on both sides of the ball. hmm....

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-17-2012, 10:50 PM   #2
All Star

beast10's Arena

OVR: 36
Re: why is it if you can play shut down defense but cant score you are a terrible pla

No ... We consider them as an overrated player such as Carmelo, Monta and many more. Scoring wins games and defense wins championships kinda the reason why everyone loves Tony Allen and why everyone says Karl Malone is overrated
Old 10-17-2012, 11:09 PM   #3
MVP

BringTheHeat's Arena

OVR: 12
Re: why is it if you can play shut down defense but cant score you are a terrible pla

For the media as a whole, it's simply because offensive highlights are more "entertaining" to the masses. Sure they'll throw in a block here and there but you'll never see real defense being played unless you actually watch the game. Luckily the guys I talk hoops with are all "student" fans and appreciate guys like Tony Allen, Eric Bledsoe, Avery Bradley, etc.

Also, some guys just have specialties, and if you excel in your specialty then technically you are a "great" player because you're great at what you do. I don't consider Melo to be overrated because I personally think he's the best inside-outside scorer in the league. If Melo is overrated, then so is Durant.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:19 PM   #4
All Star

beast10's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringTheHeat
For the media as a whole, it's simply because offensive highlights are more "entertaining" to the masses. Sure they'll throw in a block here and there but you'll never see real defense being played unless you actually watch the game. Luckily the guys I talk hoops with are all "student" fans and appreciate guys like Tony Allen, Eric Bledsoe, Avery Bradley, etc.

Also, some guys just have specialties, and if you excel in your specialty then technically you are a "great" player because you're great at what you do. I don't consider Melo to be overrated because I personally think he's the best inside-outside scorer in the league. If Melo is overrated, then so is Durant.
Durants scoring leads to something if it DIDN'T then he would be overrated . Melo is a great player and I think some people see improvements in him that others haven't see but until he can at least bring he Knicks to be second round nobody cares
Old 10-17-2012, 11:28 PM   #5
MVP

BringTheHeat's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by beast10
Durants scoring leads to something if it DIDN'T then he would be overrated . Melo is a great player and I think some people see improvements in him that others haven't see but until he can at least bring he Knicks to be second round nobody cares
Fair enough, but in Denver he was. Pretty sure he took them to the WCF one year. Not an excuse, and I agree, but do you think he's improved since he was in Denver?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-17-2012, 11:39 PM   #6
All Star

beast10's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringTheHeat
Fair enough, but in Denver he was. Pretty sure he took them to the WCF one year. Not an excuse, and I agree, but do you think he's improved since he was in Denver?

Certainly, his defense has improved rapidly .. I think he's still allowing over 100 points per 100 possessions on basketball reference but under Woodson he's got a high ceiling for the future of NYC .
But I still don't see the Knicks ever advancing past the second round with stoudemire playing how he is now. And to be honest I believe the Knicks were BETTER without Anthony and Stoudemire and Melo have somewhat the same mindset and they're stars that should be alone unlike Wade and LeBron they're trying to show of their own skills not compliment each other.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:06 AM   #7
MVP

BringTheHeat's Arena

Agree, Carmelo is definitely the "center of attention" type of player you have to build around. Will building around him produce a title? Maybe not, but until him and STAT learn to play together, New York doesn't have a chance at a title with Boston, Miami, and Chicago being in the East.
Old 10-18-2012, 01:27 AM   #8
Pro

OVR: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by beast10
Certainly, his defense has improved rapidly .. I think he's still allowing over 100 points per 100 possessions on basketball reference but under Woodson he's got a high ceiling for the future of NYC .

But I still don't see the Knicks ever advancing past the second round with stoudemire playing how he is now. And to be honest I believe the Knicks were BETTER without Anthony and Stoudemire and Melo have somewhat the same mindset and they're stars that should be alone unlike Wade and LeBron they're trying to show of their own skills not compliment each other.
Knicks should have kept Nate Robinson & David Lee and built around them 2. I love Amar'e & Melo but they are the exact same player; they don't compliment each other at all. Both of them are ball stoppers.

Back to Ops topic, I love defensive stoppers. Back when I was younger I used to play hoops in this church league & my team would always put me on the opposition's best player. More times than not I'd make him a non-factor in the game. I remember one time I was guarding this guy who was 2 or 3 times my size; I shut him down & he got so frustrated that he got kicked out of the game. I always loved playing defense and doing the little things when I played, so I tend to like players who play like that.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9670 using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball »