Home

How do you not get angry at momentum?

This is a discussion on How do you not get angry at momentum? within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-27-2013, 09:15 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
How do you not get angry at momentum?

I play in an Online Association with ppl about the same skill as me. But, when the momentum goes against me, i tend to get angry and play bad. I call timeouts but i'm already off my game by now and easily angered by a bad play.

I think im more annoyed at how its executed more than anything else. I had one play where i deflected the ball while on defense, and the other team still recovered the ball and then hit a contested jumper. Then I had a wide open jumper on offense with a B+ rating, and it didn't go in. I also think the im playing against the user and cpu, and i have no control over the game.

I need help stay calm when momentum happens.

Last edited by Mmiles33; 02-27-2013 at 09:19 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-27-2013, 09:23 AM   #2
MVP

Taer's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: How do you not get angry at momentum?

I sometimes do get angry at momentum swings, but if I find myself starting to get upset, I slow the ball down, make sure I move it a lot and make sure that I'm not trying to force things.

If the momentum swing continues, the best thing to do is to recognize it is your time to deal with it, then try to move forward from there. If you have done everything you reasonably could (ie timeouts), then use the momentum swing to work on whatever you feel you are weak on. Maybe you can practice that release or practice D...

The last thing I do is to put the controller down and walk away from the game for a while.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:28 AM   #3
Lockdown Defender

Rockie_Fresh88's Arena

OVR: 17

It's really rubberbanding labeled momentum.

It works in your favor too. Sometimes you just have to slow the ball down and over analyzed every play. One simple pass is a turnover. Get the ball inside dont shoot jumpers . Run pick and rolls. Make the shot so open that the game has no choice but to let it go in. Put in your best defenders on the other teams best scorers. Don't be afraid to switch it up run zones , traps etc...

Sometimes all the above doesn't even help. But it is what it is.
#1 Laker fan
First Team Defense !!!
Old 02-27-2013, 09:45 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 2

What has happened to me recently in my league is, the game will be close at halftime and then my opponent goes on a run in the 3rd and its too late to recover by then. 8 minute quarters
Old 02-27-2013, 10:20 AM   #5
MVP

OVR: 23

Momentum swings happen all the time in real life NBA Games so It doesn't make me "mad" when it happens to me in 2k... It is pretty annoying and it can make you feel helpless, which sucks, but, every has games like that throughout the season...

Just gotta tip your cap and move on to the next game, and remember...

IT'S JUST A GAME FOCKER!

psn - CeeGee
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-27-2013, 10:29 AM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 0

Keep in mind that a timeout is for you as much as the team. As you're already painfully aware, (especially against a human opponent) momentum will be exacerbated by your reaction to it. Call a full and use the whole 60 seconds to take a few deep breaths, walk away for part of it, or whatever else might help you calm down and refocus.

Think about what seems to be working best for your opponent and start by taking that away, even if it means temporarily giving up something else - at least you're dictating terms until they counter your new tactic.

I try to keep in mind that momentum shifts in 2k generally don't compare to the most extreme NBA comebacks and blowouts.
NBA players make more passing/positioning mistakes due to miscommunication than will likely ever be represented in any videogame, as well as missing open, quality shots more often.

Think about watching your favorite NBA team lose a game in which you felt like they had exceptionally poor chemistry, missed lots of open looks, or had bad calls go against them - and how many fewer ways you can be screwed in a game of NBA 2k compared to how real teams lose games badly/unfairly.

If you can keep the various levels of basketball-related injustice and ineffectiveness in perspective, you should be able to avoid anger, if not occasional frustration.
Old 02-27-2013, 12:13 PM   #7
All Star

ksuttonjr76's Arena

OVR: 0

I merely reduced how often I play online quick matches. I mainly stick with My Career and Blacktop modes. I'm starting to save money, because I'm not buying new controllers all the time .
Old 02-27-2013, 12:16 PM   #8
Lockdown Defender

Rockie_Fresh88's Arena

OVR: 17

Yep also remember its just a video game. Also this may sound weird but playing too good in the first half can work against u.

If u shoot better say around 70% in the first half you will probably be below or around 50% third quarter while your opponent is shooting 70%.

And people say momentum happens in real life . It's rubberbanding labeled momentum please do not ignore that fact.
#1 Laker fan
First Team Defense !!!

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »