Home

Realistic Gameplay/Stats All-star 12 min Sliders

This is a discussion on Realistic Gameplay/Stats All-star 12 min Sliders within the NBA 2K Last Gen Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen > NBA 2K Last Gen Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-15-2013, 12:43 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 10
Realistic Gameplay/Stats All-star 12 min Sliders

Hi, Ive been tweaking nba2k game sliders since 2k10, and for me its become a bit of an obsession. Its half the game for me now, just playing and tweaking and trying to get things to feel right and have accurate results. I feel 2k sliders are very much subjective, however i feel this slider set will unlock a few animations that are rarely used in default slider sets, makes a.i. and computer controlled players play more like themselves, and are kind of fun since they limit cheese factors while also providing a challenge.

You guys are the closest ill get to an expert opinion, so please try them out and let me know what you think. Ill take any sort of criticism in regards to the sliders.

Here are my 2k13 Sliders. They are to be used with All-Star Difficulty and 12 min. Quarters. They offer what i feel to be a realistic experience all around. From Stats to Gameplay and animations.

The attributes should be applied to both A.I. and User. I have a theory of compensation in 2k games. If you give either side an advantage, however slight, it creates a weird effect and opens up method of cheesing or just cheesy effects from the game.So whenever you tweak sliders you want to try to adjust for both sides. Its like imagine a bunch of balls colliding. If two ball of equal mass collide at the same speed, it creates a solid link. However, if one ball is of slightly different mass, it will create a bounce effect which can in turn create mayhem in this theoretical space. if that doesnt make sense or something just take it from me, keep it equal...or change it slightly and see what happens...

Offense:
Inside[39]
Close[42]
Medium[48]
3pt[45]
Layup[42]
D.T.F.[28]
D.T.S.[48]
Pass[50]
Alley-oop[50]
Contact[42]

Explanation: I basically put the weight of jumpers to be what i feel is the truest. Mid-Range shots are most used in the nba, while being the more inefficient shots, they are for most players the easiest shots to hit. They are also, in the game, the easiest shots to truly defend. Close and inside shots are way too easy to get in this game, so i balanced them out by making their success rate a lot more difficult. This limits and1s, same with layups. Guys like rose who have the right Perk can adjust and finish regardless though, which is realistic, kirk hinrich and rondo should be botching layups if there is more than a little defense. And this ensures that.

Defense:
Driving Contact[100]
Inside Contact[100]
Layup(takeoff)[50]
Layup(release)[42]
Shot(gather)[42]
Shot(release)[50]
DoubleTeam[65]
StealSuccess[25]

Explanation: This was a cool feature, and it was a bitch to get this to work with everything else. This basically dictates when contact happens, how much, and how it affects the offensive stats.You get a lot of collisions with these, and it really helps create a huge difference when playing a boston celtics team vs a golden state team.

Attributes:
Quickness[36]
Vert[57]
Strength[100]
Stamina[50]
Speed[57]
Durability[50]
Hustle[88]
BallHandling[57]
Hands[36]
DunkingAbility[36]
On-Ball Def[88]
Stealing[62]
Blocking[62]
Off.Aware[36]
Def.Aware[36]
Off.Rebound[50]
Def.Rebound[50]
Consistency[50]
Fatigue[65]
Injury Freq.[55]
Injury Sever[50]

Explanation: The meat of all sliders. This is the place that severely affects the animations. Hardest thing was balancing movement. Higher Ball handling attribute makes some cool collision effects, but also made centers like brook lopez move like a sf. I basically got it so that players like rose give you the feeling of flyng down the court, without giving the same luxury to a kirk hinrich, that rose when he goes up for a lyaup will rarely try to just do a straight finish and will instead alter his shot to get the best shot available, and that centers dont move like guards, and guards like rose truly seem quick. It was a pain, but i feel i did well. The hands stat is so damn important in this game...i dont know....i am just proud of the balance i got, and with all those sliders to manage, it took a lot of trial and error.

Tendencies (i will only list the changes)
Take inside Shots [42]
Take Mid Range shots[57]
Attempt Dunks[12]
Attempt PutBacks[60]
Play Passing Lanes[40]
Go For On Ball Steals[65]
Contest Shots[65]

Explanation: Most people dont mess with Tendencies. They impact the individual players tendencies. If you zero out the tendencies, no player will play unique to themselves. If you increase them to 100, they will play like exajerated versions of themselves. So keeping it at 50 is mostly fine. I made some changes to keep the computer (on both sides) from cheezing.Oh the contest shot and stealing ones are pretty important though.

Fouls:
OverTheBack[45]
Charge[85]
Block[75]
Reach[10]
Shooting[60]
LooseBall[45]

Explanation: Easiest to tweak, I like using the steal button a lot to keep the a.i. at bay, so i dropped the stealing stat low. I still get called for ticky tack reaches though, but sometimes i can get away with murder (not often) so i find it hilariously real. That was kinda my goal. Just to make so that players who attack a lot will get to the line a bit more than others, and players who just settle on jumpers wont get called for much. And overdribblers deserve to get hacked. If you dont like them you can adjust them, but i promise you, you will probably be fine with them.

Once you have that its time to go into the "secret" options, that set the movement.

This option can be reached by going into the "Jersey/Side Select" screen right before you start a game (so in associan mode it will be the next scren after you select to play the game. Once there you press the Y button on xbox (Triangle i believe on ps3) This menu is called Game Options.

Difficulty: I designed and use these sliders in All-Star Difficulty though they should work alright in Superstar As well. Superstar difficulty starts getting pretty cheap in close games (so does all-star but not so much that you want to lose your mind) and H.O.F. is cheap the moment you get a lead. I personally prefer all-star. On the less difficult levels the computer doesnt put up much of a fight, though if you are new to the game have at it. You will dunk more than you want, and shots will fall easier, but the animation and movement should remain the same.

Game style Custom (cuz of the custom sliders)

Game Speed: 50 (if you increase it everything on the court moves faster, mainly the players and the ball. But the clock speed is constant. Decreasing it makes things more floaty, which i personally hate. I keep it at default, but if the game seems too fast or slow adjust it marginally (no more than 3 either way id say) )

Player Speed:62 (Affects the speed of animations. This was a bitch to get right, along with the speed, quickness, and ball handling attributes. I like how everything runs here)

Finally, i wanna say this only works with 12 min quarters. I found out that the quarter length actually affects sliders. Less time allows for more ease of shots, blocks, steals, etc, while longer times do the opposite. The reason i feel is because the 2k guys knew people liked to see stats as close to real life regardless of how long they were playing for, so they made smaller time periods a bit more acradey while still encapsulating a players and teams abilities, and 12 min to be more simulation like doing the same. If you try these sliders on anything other than 12 min quarters you wont get the same experience as i intended with my sliders.

Also as an aside, i like using real ft%. Free throws are too easy to make so if you use real ft% it uses the past seasons stats and stat increases to calculate a ft% and your player will roughly hit that percentage of his fts. I find this to be far more realistic than user controlled fts. I do keep user controlled shots, cuz i mean, whats the point if u dont have user controlled shots. I also like to keep the shot feedbacks on so i know whats impacting my shots (the defense, myself, or my sliders)

Im pretty well versed in the effects of sliders and how to get certain things to happen. So if you guys have questions feel free to ask away. If you are adjusting for a different diffuclty or time just let me know what you are trying to change exactly and i can tell you how to impact it. I feel slider tweaking are kind of subjective so because of difficulty, team, and style of play, you may have to make slight changes yourself. I just implore you all to give my slider sets a good hard try (play an entire half) and see where it sits. In making these i also took account to the many cheezing moves i like to use (and tried to limit them) and the A.I. constantly makes (and tried to limit them). The a.i. still will do cheap stuff in higher difficulties, but the way teh sliders are designed you should be able to keep it to a minimum. One of the things in the game is that both teams are bound to make runs, its just programmed that way.

Have fun, let me know what you guys think...hopefully someone likes them
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-16-2013, 09:06 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: Realistic Gameplay/Stats All-star 12 min Sliders

Just played a game using the sliders. Not too bad, but I feel like there were too many missed shots in the paint and not enough fouls when there was obvious contact. Offensive rebounds seemed a bit high, but they did come in handy for all of those missed shots close to the basket. Didn't seem to go in my favor much, though.
Old 03-17-2013, 03:34 AM   #3
Rookie

thanks for trying them out. Can i ask a few questions?
-What teams were in play (which team did you use, which team did the opposition use)

-What was the ft situation like by the end of the game?

-Were there any noticeable unrealistic stats aside from the offensive rebound (what was the number btw?)

-How did the game "feel" was the pace too quick, too slow. Did players do anything too uncharacteristic.

I sort of designed the sliders to limit cheesing, involve more fundamental ideas of basketball, and provide a true challenge in association mode without making it impossible to win.

I wanted inside shots to be surrounded by contact, and i wanted it so that not all contact would lead to a free throw, because from my observation thats how it is in the nba. Guys like lebron, melo, dwight , rose get hammered every time they attack in traffic. They get to the line so often because they usually continue to attack.

I wanted stamina to play a huge part in it too, attacking the rim is something all fans yell at their favorite teams to do, but really unless you have incredible athleticism like lebron or rose, its hard to do. And even those guys when they get tired or depending on the defense choose to settle for a midrange jumper, a quick dish, or penetrate, come back out and find an easier shot....

My point was to bring that sort of basketball into a video game....and i feel my sliders are very close to that, but not sure if other users would get different experiences.

I do hope you try out the sliders at least once more and again if there is something you really hate (or hopefully conversely, something u do like) please let me know...ill work on trying to make them as perfect as possible...
Old 03-17-2013, 06:27 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by piccolomair

The attributes should be applied to both A.I. and User. I have a theory of compensation in 2k games. If you give either side an advantage, however slight, it creates a weird effect and opens up method of cheesing or just cheesy effects from the game.So whenever you tweak sliders you want to try to adjust for both sides. Its like imagine a bunch of balls colliding. If two ball of equal mass collide at the same speed, it creates a solid link. However, if one ball is of slightly different mass, it will create a bounce effect which can in turn create mayhem in this theoretical space. if that doesnt make sense or something just take it from me, keep it equal...or change it slightly and see what happens...
I agree. Which roster do you use? I use default 2k rosters.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:54 PM   #5
Rookie

i also use default rosters, though i do change some animations for certain players when i see something wrong or something that needs to be updated, and ill change some attributes if i feel a player is being too highly touted (andrea bargnani being a dominant post player for example should never happen). For the most part i think 2k gets the major definitions of players right. I usually make the changes at the start of my association before setting any slider changes. I just zip through rosters and look at the simplified grades and make sure i dont find anything that sticks out to be outrageously wrong.

I also think that sliders should be worked independent of roster changes. You should be trying to conform one to work with the other. If you are using someone elses roster, and set them to your own or someone elses sliders, you can get two different ideologies in place, two contrasting styles...and it can make the game feel more broken....

I also feel its easier and more accessible to people to use the default roster then try to download or edit to someone elses roster...

If you happen to give my sliders a try, please let me know how they worked out for you. As i stated above, im somewhat obsessed with trying get the game to play like (what i belive is) basketball, and the more people try out and examine my sliders, it will only help in creating a perfect slider set (hopefully0
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-17-2013, 10:28 PM   #6
Rookie

I played one game with your sliders. My three point percentage was low. I think it was a combination of using only 45 for 3 pt shots and 65 for fatigue. Players who are tired miss open threes. Also, the CPU only took about 10 threes for the game. It might be due to only 50 for attempting threes.

I also only had one dunk all game. It might be due to only 12 for attempting dunks.

I also prefer to have more fouls per game. NBA teams average about 20 fouls per game.

Lastly, my team only had two blocks, but I think that's my weakness, not your sliders.

This is a good set of sliders. I enjoyed reading your explanations about what you're trying to accomplish with your sliders. I recommend that you increase some of the offensive and foul sliders and update a few attributes and tendencies.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:18 AM   #7
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamer
I played one game with your sliders. My three point percentage was low. I think it was a combination of using only 45 for 3 pt shots and 65 for fatigue. Players who are tired miss open threes. Also, the CPU only took about 10 threes for the game. It might be due to only 50 for attempting threes.

I also only had one dunk all game. It might be due to only 12 for attempting dunks.

I also prefer to have more fouls per game. NBA teams average about 20 fouls per game.

Lastly, my team only had two blocks, but I think that's my weakness, not your sliders.

This is a good set of sliders. I enjoyed reading your explanations about what you're trying to accomplish with your sliders. I recommend that you increase some of the offensive and foul sliders and update a few attributes and tendencies.
Thanks man! Yea the first comment here also suggested the fouls were too low. Im gonna play around with that a bit now i guess. I think i was having games where every drive of mine led to fts (because of the way i have the collisions set up) and so i wanted to lower that because i want there to be a focus for players to try to get good looks to score (run plays, get open shots) and not just take whatever player, pull down turbo(modifiers) and just go gung ho at the rim.

Ill work on finding that balance.

The 3pt shot i noticed in my own game, and i wasnt sure if it was because my roster wasnt really a 3pt shooting one in association mode or because my controller stick is slightly messed up. I had my brother try them, he used the knicks, and he struggled. This was today, so ill tweak that to make it a little easier. The problem with balance here has to do with 2k13s engine.

2k13's a.i. doesnt incorporate defensive strategy before games. In the sense that the cpu will not cover a shooter like kyle korver tightly until after he hits a couple 3s. In real life opponents know your strength and work at taking them away, so kyle korver will usually be tightly defended from the start of a game at the 3pt line. Making up for this lack of realistic adjustment is a bit hard, since its way too easy to run plays to get shooters open in 2k13.

the dunk thing i sort of like. The clippers led the league in dunks last year at 6 a game. 6!!! I have a guy (rodney williams, a 2013-2014 potential rookie) and i can get him dunks. I put Derrick Roses dunking ability to mediocre, but every once in a while when hes fresh and is a bit hot, i can get a dunk from him (though its nothing too amazing) and especially in transition.

Maybe ill tweak it ever so slightly so that guys that are supposed to be "shaq like" can actually pivot in the post and dunk on a defender....but overall i do like my dunk settings....

Thank you for your observations, if you make your own tweaks (if you want to play around with my sliders) let me know, ill try them out. Im also glad that you like the general idea of my sliders and get what im trying to do with it.

Thanks man
Old 03-18-2013, 12:56 AM   #8
Rookie

The only major change I made is that I play on Pro instead of All-Star because I'm new to the 2K series. I used to play Live all the time in the past. I'll make a few tweaks to the things I mentioned, but I'm looking forward to testing your updates.

Most slider makers don't do a good job letting you understand the rationale behind how they set up their sliders. You obviously understand basketball and sliders, so I have no doubt that your future updates will lead to as close to a perfect set of sliders as possible. You won't ever be able to please everyone, but your goal should be to make a good base set that everyone else only has to tweak to make the game fun for them.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen > NBA 2K Last Gen Sliders »