Home

Running Plays, Playbooks, Coaching Profiles Help Please!

This is a discussion on Running Plays, Playbooks, Coaching Profiles Help Please! within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-15-2013, 05:55 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Running Plays, Playbooks, Coaching Profiles Help Please!

I may be in the minority but I run plays. I've heard that putting run plays to 0 is actually the equivalent of putting it up because it's reverse. Is it like that for all Coach Profiles? And does take shots, inside-outside, etc. matter on playcalling if play calling is on auto (which it is for me)? Also, my team every now and then will just stop running the play in the middle of it, is there a way to stop that? I put play calling on auto and adjust coach profiles to what type of plays i want them to call but it almost never works, I run a lot of pick n rolls with most teams and there isnt a coach profile that tells your team to run more pick n rolls, any idea how to get the AUTO-Playcalling to call more Pick N Rolls? Thanks
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-15-2013, 06:23 PM   #2
Vni
Hall Of Fame

Vni's Arena

OVR: 23
Re: Running Plays, Playbooks, Coaching Profiles Help Please!

Plays are in the game for the casuals that haven't mastered the iso motion and the up and under moves.
Old 03-15-2013, 07:21 PM   #3
Rookie

nip83's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vni
Plays are in the game for the casuals that haven't mastered the iso motion and the up and under moves.
You almost got me there .Nice work sir
Old 03-15-2013, 08:05 PM   #4
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian08234
I may be in the minority but I run plays. I've heard that putting run plays to 0 is actually the equivalent of putting it up because it's reverse. Is it like that for all Coach Profiles? And does take shots, inside-outside, etc. matter on playcalling if play calling is on auto (which it is for me)? Also, my team every now and then will just stop running the play in the middle of it, is there a way to stop that? I put play calling on auto and adjust coach profiles to what type of plays i want them to call but it almost never works, I run a lot of pick n rolls with most teams and there isnt a coach profile that tells your team to run more pick n rolls, any idea how to get the AUTO-Playcalling to call more Pick N Rolls? Thanks
1) The run plays slider is reversed, but not in the sense that it determines the frequency of plays being called. A low value simlpy means that the CPU will run a play faster after a def rebound/turnover. But the distribution between freelance and plays is apparently not influenced by it.

2) Plays breaking down is caused by the fact that 2k put hundreds of broken plays into the game (not kidding, it's literally more than a hundred useless ones). Also, since "run plays" doesn't work, the very moment a play breaks down, we can not influence how the AI reacts. There should be an option to determine whether a broken play will result in a reset or if the AI will run freelance for the remaining shot clock. But there isn't...on the other hand, Justin Bieber is in the game. So it's not all bad.

3) Auto-playcalling is a mess,too. First of all, it works differently in coach mode. You can test this by running simulated games with one side selected with coach on, while you leave the other team to the CPU and switch to this side while they should in theory run a play. You'll notice that no matter how you set "run plays", outside of coach mode there will be occasional freelancing even if you don't want it.
Now the great part is that if you want more PnRs being called, in theory this should be easy to do, but 2k screws up playcalling since 2k11.

Basically what should work is simply to scale touches according to the usage% you want to achieve. So by customizing touches and individual plays, your team should do whatever the hell you want.
Instead, I've no idea how 2k set up the stupid scripts for AI playcalling, it's simply pathetic.

I did a test a while back by putting DWill and Wilt on the Lakers. So there are 3 players with touches at 90 (Wilt,Kobe,DWill).
Guess how many plays the AI called for Williams in a full 24 minute half without any subs...0! The same with Artest. Not one play in 24 minutes.
And this is not an exception, it happens all the time. If you break up default rosters, for example with a fantasy draft, PGs are out of the equation.

I won't spam about this again. So let's just say there are problems with the game engine that go deeper than wrong colored socks and generic shoes.
Old 03-16-2013, 05:30 PM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mango_prom
1) The run plays slider is reversed, but not in the sense that it determines the frequency of plays being called. A low value simlpy means that the CPU will run a play faster after a def rebound/turnover. But the distribution between freelance and plays is apparently not influenced by it.

2) Plays breaking down is caused by the fact that 2k put hundreds of broken plays into the game (not kidding, it's literally more than a hundred useless ones). Also, since "run plays" doesn't work, the very moment a play breaks down, we can not influence how the AI reacts. There should be an option to determine whether a broken play will result in a reset or if the AI will run freelance for the remaining shot clock. But there isn't...on the other hand, Justin Bieber is in the game. So it's not all bad.

3) Auto-playcalling is a mess,too. First of all, it works differently in coach mode. You can test this by running simulated games with one side selected with coach on, while you leave the other team to the CPU and switch to this side while they should in theory run a play. You'll notice that no matter how you set "run plays", outside of coach mode there will be occasional freelancing even if you don't want it.
Now the great part is that if you want more PnRs being called, in theory this should be easy to do, but 2k screws up playcalling since 2k11.

Basically what should work is simply to scale touches according to the usage% you want to achieve. So by customizing touches and individual plays, your team should do whatever the hell you want.
Instead, I've no idea how 2k set up the stupid scripts for AI playcalling, it's simply pathetic.

I did a test a while back by putting DWill and Wilt on the Lakers. So there are 3 players with touches at 90 (Wilt,Kobe,DWill).
Guess how many plays the AI called for Williams in a full 24 minute half without any subs...0! The same with Artest. Not one play in 24 minutes.
And this is not an exception, it happens all the time. If you break up default rosters, for example with a fantasy draft, PGs are out of the equation.

I won't spam about this again. So let's just say there are problems with the game engine that go deeper than wrong colored socks and generic shoes.

So how would I go about adjusting the touches??
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-16-2013, 07:46 PM   #6
Pro

Quote:
So how would I go about adjusting the touches??
I wouldn't even bother. In theory, it would simply have to be scaled in some realistic way. Some take usage% as a base, others go with the full scale to 100. All that matters is that the relation between teammates is realistic.
But the whole system doesn't work reliably, so it's basically a crapshoot whether your edits result in something good or not.
The same with individual play types, apparently it's messed up on a very fundamental level.

I've tested touches a lot and it's just not consistent. So I'd simply not spend much time on this issue.
Old 03-17-2013, 05:50 PM   #7
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mango_prom
I wouldn't even bother. In theory, it would simply have to be scaled in some realistic way. Some take usage% as a base, others go with the full scale to 100. All that matters is that the relation between teammates is realistic.
But the whole system doesn't work reliably, so it's basically a crapshoot whether your edits result in something good or not.
The same with individual play types, apparently it's messed up on a very fundamental level.

I've tested touches a lot and it's just not consistent. So I'd simply not spend much time on this issue.
So what do you do when you play online or anything regarding playcalling? thanks
Old 03-17-2013, 06:46 PM   #8
Pro

Quote:
So what do you do when you play online or anything regarding playcalling? thanks
Online I only use manual playcalling. Don't like the current interface, but it's better than watching the AI screw up over and over again.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »