Home

Is the read option risky?

This is a discussion on Is the read option risky? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-20-2013, 03:50 PM   #1
MVP

GisherJohn24's Arena

OVR: 4
Is the read option risky?

Or are you pretty successful with it?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-20-2013, 03:51 PM   #2
Rookie

LewisCAVS's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: Is the read option risky?

Read option I like to use but the options where you have to toss the ball are very risky, all it takes is one small error and its a fumble.
NCAA - KU basketball
NBA - Cleveland Cavaliers
Old 07-20-2013, 03:52 PM   #3
MVP

GisherJohn24's Arena

OVR: 4
It seems like I get sacked more than anything
Old 07-20-2013, 04:00 PM   #4
Eagles Fan

BleedGreen710's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GisherJohn24
It seems like I get sacked more than anything
I don't believe its called a sack if your QB is tackled for a loss on a read option/option play unless you are doing an option pass and the QB has committed to trying to pass the ball.
Old 07-20-2013, 04:25 PM   #5
Pro

OVR: 1

If you make the wrong read the play gets blown up as it should. I have found that the defender you must read has a tell. He puts his arms up in an exaggerated fashion when he is playing the QB, this is the cue to give it to the RB. I would say I'm successful at making the right read 95% of the time using that knowledge. However, if you make the right read sometimes the D still stops it. All in all, I probably average 5.5 ypc with the read option.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-20-2013, 04:44 PM   #6
MVP

jbrew2411's Arena

OVR: 13

I only run the read about 5-8 times a game based off how well my running game is going. I can get about 5 yards every time I run it correctly but I sometimes decided to give the ball before the snap which results in only a 50% success rate. All the NCAA games of the past you had to guess so now that we have enough time to make a proper read is something I'm getting use to.
Old 07-20-2013, 04:58 PM   #7
Rookie

jejones's Arena

OVR: 0

I run the spread option play book and the read option doesn't seem at all risky. It's actually a very sime play. It either works or it doesn't. But if it doesn't work, you usually lose at least 4 yards. The triple option is much more risky. I've lost more than a few fumbles running it.
Old 07-20-2013, 05:32 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 5

This game is revolved around the option so needless to say its a pretty safe option. The blocking is done for you all you have to do is make the reads and occasionally break down defenders on 1 on 1 situations. Normal read options based their reads on the outside man (usually DE or OLB depending on formation). QB in this year edition are FREAKING ATHLETES so they can break tackles and move pretty well without fumbling much if at all. I have smacked fire out of some these qbs and they hold on to the ball with their life lol

If you mean triple options/slot wr options they based off two reads. Your first handoff is based off the DE (or OLB) if he sits hand the ball to your RB if he moves towards the RB keep the ball. The 2nd read is based of another defender on out the outside (most times its the nickel defender or lineacbker if he playing man or out in a zone). If that defender run to your pitch man, keep the ball, if it looks like he is coming towards you then pitch but you have to do it early not last minute like the previous NCAA verisons. I noticed once the defender makes a read he will stick to that read unless the user switches to him and controls him. I think most ppl make the mistake of pitching too late or when i am on D i run in the middle of the QB and the pitch man to confuse the QB and some ppl make the pitch thinking im running to the QB when im pretty much playing the ball not man. Hope this helps. If you need to, go to practice mode and work out your reads. For most the part the blocking is pretty solid and will hold up so you just have to make the right reads and you should be all set. Personally i only use the option to mix it up between me running the ball and doing screens or when im desperate.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »