Home

Pitching a perfect game...what would you do?

This is a discussion on Pitching a perfect game...what would you do? within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 08-27-2013, 01:45 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 5
Pitching a perfect game...what would you do?

I'm playing as the Rangers, and I've got Lewis on the mound. It's the 7th inning, one out, and Braun steps to the plate. I have a perfecto going...and Braun hit the ball really hard his last 2 ABs. His very last AB was a rocket that just happened to be hit right at my CF...otherwise it was sure extra bases.

If I walk him, I give up the perfecto, but still have the no-hitter intact. I know if I walk him, and continue on with the no hitter, I won't see him again.

What would you do?

I pitched to him, and he hit the 2nd pitch for a solo HR. I then got the next 6 batters out, and had a 1 hitter going until 1 out in the 9th. Thankfully, I gave up a 2nd hit thereby absolving me of regretting my decision to pitch to Braun. I think I'd do it the same the next time I face the same situation - tough to willing give up on a perfect game, but it wasn't as automatic of a decision as I expected when Braun stepped to the plate.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-27-2013, 07:42 AM   #2
MVP

jct32's Arena

OVR: 17
Re: Pitching a perfect game...what would you do?

Sometimes you can't let them hurt you. I was playing against Baltimore yesterday and Chris Davis hit a triple and home run in his first two at bats. Needless to say he got a free pass the rest of the game. As far as if you have a perfecto going. That is tough to say, for me it would depend on a lot of external factors also. Tough on losing out on your perfect game.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:02 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 1

My school of thought is that you earn the no hitter. Just like a batter bunting in real life to breakup one, it just seems cheap. It all depends on the score and who's behind him. 1-0, I'll probably pitch around him. But 6-0, it's just a play for your own vanity. In real life your teammates would probably respect you less. You're willingly keeping them on the field another batter just for your own intentions. Also consider, every batter with the exception of Barry Bonds and Ted Williams are at a disadvantage to the average pitcher. Rarely does a hitter have an OBP of over .500.

But it's a video game, and if you really want that no-hitter, go nuts!
Old 08-27-2013, 10:34 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 5

[quote=braves_94;2045395704 Also consider, every batter with the exception of Barry Bonds and Ted Williams are at a disadvantage to the average pitcher. Rarely does a hitter have an OBP of over .500.
quote]

That's exactly why I pitched to him, and probably would again. I'm a percentages guy.
Old 08-28-2013, 12:57 PM   #5
MVP

stlducks's Arena

OVR: 2

I would pitch to him every time if it meant I had a chance at a perfect game. Getting that deep in the game with a perfecto going is pretty rare (at least for me it is). I would work the corners and try to make him get himself out, not throw any fastballs. If he takes 4 balls and walks then so be it but I am going to at least try getting him out.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-28-2013, 01:36 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 0

Pitch to him.

You need to realize that in the 9th inning a batter is going to get a hit on an 0-2 curveball that was six inches out of the zone.
Old 08-28-2013, 05:05 PM   #7
Rookie

DieHardTheHunter's Arena

OVR: 10

Pitch to Braun if he gets a hit appeal immediately on grounds of suspicion
of ped use
Old 08-28-2013, 10:43 PM   #8
Pro

OVR: 24

I probably wouldn't walk him in that situation. I just don't see much of a reason to walk any player with the bases empty. No-hitters are nice but winning the game is more important to me. A solo HR is hardly ever a big deal.

Only time I'd walk Braun is if his HR would end the game (bottom of the 9th or whatnot).

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »