Home

NBA 2K14 Ratings/Tendencies Discovery Thread

This is a discussion on NBA 2K14 Ratings/Tendencies Discovery Thread within the NBA 2K Last Gen Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen > NBA 2K Last Gen Rosters
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-30-2013, 03:34 PM   #1
MVP

Colts18's Arena

OVR: 2
NBA 2K14 Ratings/Tendencies Discovery Thread

Roster makers, we can use this thread as a way to post any findings/discoveries when it comes to ratings/tendencies/signature skills.

Two things I notice already are the inflated flashy passing tendencies as well as the lack of diversity in the Roll vs. Fade tendencies. (Everyone is 50). Hopefully these will be fixed but we already know that flashy passing tendencies need to be severely dropped. It was a point of emphasis this year so they probably over did it. So this tendency will clearly need to be capped at something very low to make it less NBA Jamish
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-01-2013, 01:55 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 25
Re: NBA 2K14 Ratings/Tendencies Discovery Thread

Here are my early impressions/discoveries from a roster editing perspective.

In case you missed the other thread the 'Inside' shot rating has been removed and replaced with the following new ratings.

Standing Layup
Spin Layup
Euro Step Layup
Hop Step Layup
Runner
Step Through

There are not Tendencies for any of these new ratings.

Some Bigs have fairly high values in some of these ratings. Namely Dwight Howard with a 76 rating in Euro Step Layup.

To test if higher ratings were somehow tied to the frequency of 'Fancy' layups here is what I did.

I set Tim Hardaway to 25 in all the layup ratings, except Spin Layup which I set to 99. I chose Spin Layup since it would obvious if it occurred.

I also set his ball handling to 99 for both and on ball D to 25.

For tendencies I gave him 100 inside shot, 100 drive the lane, 0 pull up, 100 attack, 0 pass out.

I created a team and cloned 12 Timmy's then played that team against itself on Default Pro Sim sliders.

Here is what I saw:

Granted this is an early test with a small sample size, but in one 12 minute quarter I did not see any Spin Layups.

There were opportunities for a Spin Layup but I did not see one.

I did see various new layup animations and contact at the rim I liked a lot more than 2k13 but 99% were 'generic' layups. I did see a couple hop step layups as well.

Right now I have say that there is no obvious link between the New Layup ratings and the frequency at which a player attempts them.

The most concerning thing I saw(keep in mind this was CPU v CPU) was a Tim Hardaway who was unable to consistently beat a defender with 25 on ball D on consistent basis.

Sometimes it was due to 'over dribbling' by the CPU but he should have had a lot more success IMO.

He also drove and dished out at the rim a little too often for having 100 attack and 0 pass out.

Last edited by qpc123; 10-01-2013 at 01:58 PM.
Old 10-01-2013, 02:17 PM   #3
MVP

Ran the same test with Hardaway and 'Runner' at 99. Again it did not appear to increase the frequency with which he shot runners.
Old 10-01-2013, 03:34 PM   #4
MVP

More of a general discovery:

I played 95-96 Bulls(me) vs Sonics.

Gary Payton picked up his 5th foul with about 4 minutes left in the 3rd quarter(12 min). He was not subbed out and fouled out with about 30 seconds left in the third quarter.
Old 10-01-2013, 05:14 PM   #5
Hall Of Fame

vtcrb's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by qpc123
Ran the same test with Hardaway and 'Runner' at 99. Again it did not appear to increase the frequency with which he shot runners.
Not good, makes no sense they took out that Tendency when they added the Attribute.

Twitter: @VTCRBTEC

Youtube Channel:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKL...1uva35l4zFEofg

Roster Editing for Over a Decade
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-01-2013, 07:12 PM   #6
Pro

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by qpc123
thanks for doing this, I'm in the process of editing my rosters and I was wondering the same thing. I hope and pray that the tendency for those layups are not hard-coded. I mean in the sense that bigs don't do eurosteps and all guards have the same tendency for doing a hop step, etc...
Old 10-01-2013, 07:19 PM   #7
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjohns23
thanks for doing this, I'm in the process of editing my rosters and I was wondering the same thing. I hope and pray that the tendency for those layups are not hard-coded. I mean in the sense that bigs don't do eurosteps and all guards have the same tendency for doing a hop step, etc...
Until we get an editor we won't know if any of the that(hop steps, euro steps) hardcoded for sure, but looks like it is.

Beds, is pretty steamed about all the stuff they removed tendency wise.

Last edited by qpc123; 10-02-2013 at 12:09 AM.
Old 10-02-2013, 12:16 AM   #8
MVP

If you followed or participated in this thread: http://www.operationsports.com/forum...-runplays.html

I'm basically taken a similar approach to 2k14.

Here is what I got so far.

Drive the Lane

Similar to 2k13 DTL is hardcoded into the game. It is not the only thing that causes a player to drive(not a shock).

Here is some 2k14 gameplay video, 96 Bulls vs. 96 Bulls.

All players have DTL at 0(shown at start of video), Pump fake and triple threat are also set to 0.

All Star Sim Sliders BTW.

Last edited by qpc123; 10-02-2013 at 12:22 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen > NBA 2K Last Gen Rosters »