Home

NBA 2k 14 Tutorial Ideas?

This is a discussion on NBA 2k 14 Tutorial Ideas? within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-25-2013, 12:52 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 14
Icon6 NBA 2k 14 Tutorial Ideas?

Suggest here so that I or anyone that wants to make video tutorials will have some ideas to help you guys out. It doesn't matter what, just leave suggestions and we will see who is daring to make it!

I may not be the best tutorial video maker (just a beginner in making tuts) but if you learn something from any of my future (or current) videos, that's satisfying enough. I just want to help the 2k community and give back somehow.

Hope you all like this idea and keep it going so that everyone will be better at NBA 2k!

Peaceeeeee.

P.S. I am planning on making video tutorials on effective dribble moves that get you past your defender if you have trouble, so watch out for them!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-25-2013, 01:13 AM   #2
Rookie

Re: NBA 2k 14 Tutorial Ideas?

My NBA 2k14 Tutorials

Pick and Roll Tutorial

Effective Dribbling Moves #1

Last edited by thilanwij; 10-26-2013 at 03:53 PM.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:53 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 0

Just some thoughts after watching your video:

For a pick and roll it's important to make sure your teammates are well positioned. The AI helps a lot more in NBA 2K14, and by default the wing players stay in your way, which is kind of annoying. This explains why your pick and rolls didn't go that well.

2 ways to deal with this problem:

- Playcalling. You can call basic PnRs, and finally your wing players will have the sense to wait in the corner, and your "non screener big" will flash in the high post to help . Other good options include calling Horns, the one with the double screen (forgot the name).
The problem is that you can't use that on the spot, that the AI is often really slow to initiate it, also it waits for you to be in the exact right spot before they start, which is annoying.

- Use the free movement option (left button, then pick "3 out").
Make sure the ball handler is on the wing (otherwise you can drive to the corner, and the AI will move accordingly). Then move towards the middle, so that the screener is on your side. For example if you're on the left wing, you need to move on the right, so that the big guy starts the screen on the left where there's no one.

All in all it's a bit silly how hard it is to call the most basic play in basketball, but with some work it's effective.

I really like the new strategic options, or rather I like the idea or an option to control the movement of your team, without going into as much detail as the playcalling option. I really hope that's something they improve for the next version, because it has a lot of potential.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:01 PM   #4
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilesTeg
Just some thoughts after watching your video:

For a pick and roll it's important to make sure your teammates are well positioned. The AI helps a lot more in NBA 2K14, and by default the wing players stay in your way, which is kind of annoying. This explains why your pick and rolls didn't go that well.

2 ways to deal with this problem:

- Playcalling. You can call basic PnRs, and finally your wing players will have the sense to wait in the corner, and your "non screener big" will flash in the high post to help . Other good options include calling Horns, the one with the double screen (forgot the name).
The problem is that you can't use that on the spot, that the AI is often really slow to initiate it, also it waits for you to be in the exact right spot before they start, which is annoying.

- Use the free movement option (left button, then pick "3 out").
Make sure the ball handler is on the wing (otherwise you can drive to the corner, and the AI will move accordingly). Then move towards the middle, so that the screener is on your side. For example if you're on the left wing, you need to move on the right, so that the big guy starts the screen on the left where there's no one.

All in all it's a bit silly how hard it is to call the most basic play in basketball, but with some work it's effective.

I really like the new strategic options, or rather I like the idea or an option to control the movement of your team, without going into as much detail as the playcalling option. I really hope that's something they improve for the next version, because it has a lot of potential.
Thank you very much! I appreciate the insight, very true. This will help me and others out for sure. It's also tough controlling the players precisely, sometimes I barely move the stick and it runs instead of walks around. But then again, it's virtual basketball. Yeah, it really is lame that it's hard to make it work in 2k but real life it's real easy once you understand and read the D!
Old 10-26-2013, 01:26 AM   #5
MVP

sirjam's Arena

OVR: 15

I'm waiting on someone to figure out and make a vid on 2k smart play feature. Doesn't seem to work how Wang said it would on the podcast.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-26-2013, 02:21 PM   #6
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirjam
I'm waiting on someone to figure out and make a vid on 2k smart play feature. Doesn't seem to work how Wang said it would on the podcast.
That's something I will look into, never used it before lol. Might play around with it! But all I know is that you just need to hold LB (L1 on ps3?) and it will call the best play for your situation.
Old 10-26-2013, 03:18 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 0

These might seem like very easy or simple aspects to the game but I would love to see some tutorials about pre-game defensive settings (there are a couple already, but I felt they didn't explain them that well and mostly just repeated themselves over and over again that you should change these settings, instead of demonstrating how and why they do or do not work) as well as how they actually look and play out on the court in addition to in-game shading techniques.

I am always confused about how I should approach certain players regarding the on/off-ball defense, screen and hedge settings, and how to recognize and adjust to what my opponent is doing once the game has actually started.

I think I am starting to understand on-ball shading a little better but seeing a video explaining and demonstrating it would be really helpful.
Old 10-26-2013, 03:37 PM   #8
Pro

jaateloauto's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by neckwrestler
These might seem like very easy or simple aspects to the game but I would love to see some tutorials about pre-game defensive settings (there are a couple already, but I felt they didn't explain them that well and mostly just repeated themselves over and over again that you should change these settings, instead of demonstrating how and why they do or do not work) as well as how they actually look and play out on the court in addition to in-game shading techniques.

I am always confused about how I should approach certain players regarding the on/off-ball defense, screen and hedge settings, and how to recognize and adjust to what my opponent is doing once the game has actually started.

I think I am starting to understand on-ball shading a little better but seeing a video explaining and demonstrating it would be really helpful.
I have an article up on a website which explains in details all the coach profile and defensive settings options. This was in 2K13. I won't link it since I'm not sure on the forum rules on other sites (not monetizing my youtube content so I'd guess that's ok). I'll give the link in PM if you want it.

Since 2K14 was released I've been starting to make some tutorial videos and will probably circle around to make that in video form (and with the added elements of separating on/offball sliders, adding early offense, options on free form offense though I think someone else already covered those). It's probably the 2nd on my to-do video list.

As your your stuff thilanwij I would like to see some more editing, silence the ingame music (most of it is on automatic copyright register on youtube), center your mic audio.

Last edited by jaateloauto; 10-26-2013 at 03:42 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »