Home

How to stop outside run plays

This is a discussion on How to stop outside run plays within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-01-2014, 09:45 AM   #1
Rookie

Bama man 42's Arena

OVR: 0
How to stop outside run plays

I run a 4-3 defense and just had a guy run ace big hb counter all day on me . He also ran I pro stretch very well . How can I stop this ? Once his HB got outside he was just gone , please help
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-01-2014, 10:59 AM   #2
Pro

Re: How to stop outside run plays

I recently played the Seattle Seahawks and had a real difficult time trying to stop the run against them. After five or six plays, I noticed the problem was that they kept running outside. For some reason the CPU kept picking outside running plays and my normally great run defense looked horrible. The problem was that the offensive tackle and tight end were doing a great job sealing off my DE and OLB. The WR blocking was great, as it usually is on Madden 25, and so my CB was immediately knocked to the ground on every play. I think Percy Harvin had like 12 pancakes at the end of the game. Anyway, that great blocking created a huge alley that Marshawn Lynch was free to run through until a) my safety tackled him or b) my MLB came over and tackled him or c) someone came off a block and ran him down from behind. Obviously these options mean that he is getting a good 6+ yards every time he runs the ball. My DEs normally shed blocks really fast and make plays, but I don't know if the Seahawks have really good offensive tackles or what, but this kept up the whole game.

I tried using the 46 defense, the 5-2 and even 46 bear. But what wound up being the most effective was actually Nickel defense. I wouldn't expect Nickel to be more ffective against the run, but this is Madden and nothing works right. My theory is that the Nickelback lining up so far outside the tackle, creates a problem where the tackle or tight end has to move a lot farther to block him and since they have to move so far outside, they can't seal the edge and your linebackers are free to make the tackle or your DE may not get blocked well and he can make the tackle. If you're going to use nickel, try bringing down one of the safeties to the opposite side of the field from the Nickelback. This way, you can stop the run on both sides. Another solution if you want to stay in the 4-3, is to just take your safeties and bring them down and outside the shoulder of the OLBs on either side of your defense. This will essentially create the same problem as the Nickelback and the offense won't be able to seal the edge as easily.

You're better off running this type of defense out of the nickel formation because running it out of the 4-3 makes you susceptible to deep pass plays if your opponent wants to switch it up. I recommend brining in a third safety and running the Big Nickel if you're having problems wrapping up the running back.
Old 02-02-2014, 09:13 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 4

I have this problem too, the niners execute this play against me a lot and the problem is largely what macbranson says also the defenders run right into the blocking while the ball is still behind the oline, then when it gets to the stretch and is passing the DE they are all way out of position to make a play. Dime and Nickel save the day here due to the speed of the CBs and that they line up far enough off the ball for the block to engage (and if they dont get pancaked) and then get off it to make the tackle. I usually control a safety so I can at least get over there and affect some kind of impediment.
Old 02-04-2014, 06:28 AM   #4
Rookie

It helps if your CBs on the outside are good run stoppers. That is one thing that has changed quite a bit in M25. The run game has become quite superior, which has made run stop attributes more important in order to counter it on defense. So you should pump up block shed and pursuit on your LBs, and pursuit on your safeties. Then for outside CBs, phys att./man/zone are not the only important attributes anymore, the high block shed, pursuit and tackle ratings of big CBs actually matters now, Browner/Sherman is an example of such a tandem that helps on outside runs.

Lastly are your formation and pre-snap adjustments. If you see a heavy side (TE/TE/FB lined on same side), you should consider doing D-line move to the same side, and LBs as well. Otherwise if it is balanced line up by offense, but you are certain it will be an outside run, spread both your DL and LB lines. Even consider pulling the safety manually who is covering the weak side, so as to quickly being able to support the outside run on the heavy side. Obviously this is if you are certain of which play is coming, otherwise be very careful of audibles to pass plays, counter runs, etc.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:02 AM   #5
Rookie

Wide nine is good for outside run plays

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-06-2014, 01:49 PM   #6
Rookie

Here's a few things I've had great success with in stopping outside runs:
#1 Base align
#2 Selectively blitz the edge
#3 Make personnel adjustments to have a run stop package

#1 - If you are ever in doubt about whether your defense can stop an outside run, base align. Even if it doesn't look like base aligning will change much, do it anyways. A lot of outside runs works so well because of the way defenses default align to the formation. This is particularly true for runs from unbalanced formations.

#2 If you know an outside run is coming on first down call a play with LBs or safetys blitzing from both edges. 4-3 Stack OLB Fire Man and Dime Normal Double Safety Blitz work great for this. This won't stop the run every time and sometimes you'll give up a big play but you will also get plenty of tackles for a loss. This is key because putting your opponent on a 2nd and 12 makes it a lot harder for them to run on 2nd and 3rd downs. Also I will usually Pass Commit on when using these blitzes to stop outside runs. Yes, pass commit. That's because you want the rushers getting through the line and into the back field, not simply going straight for the running back and getting caught in the muck of blockers/defenders.

#3 Because of the poor implementation of depth charts in Madden most teams have pass rushing DEs and LBs in as starters which means they are starters in every formation. Look at your depth chart for players with high block shedding, high strength and high pursuit and manually sub them in for your pass rushing starters at DE and OLB. Don't be afraid to put DTs at DE and DEs at OLB in run defenses. It makes a big difference when it comes to a TE trying to impact block a pass rushing OLB versus a run stopping DE.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »