Home

Scouting tips

This is a discussion on Scouting tips within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-28-2014, 01:04 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Scouting tips

Ok last year draft was pretty easy, this year not that simple. Can anyone give some food tips on scouting? I like to identify good players without having to use all my px points. What's a good indicator of a good player when scouting, a couple maddens ago awareness was the key.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-28-2014, 01:17 PM   #2
Ain't nuttin but a peanut

Mizzou24's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: Scouting tips

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohawk
Ok last year draft was pretty easy, this year not that simple. Can anyone give some food tips on scouting? I like to identify good players without having to use all my px points. What's a good indicator of a good player when scouting, a couple maddens ago awareness was the key.

Awareness is always a key that player will be more starting ready.

I usually just scout letters..

I scout for my scheme now that it's random.

Positional skills, speed, str, awr, play rec. All important to me.

The key is focusing on players that fit ur teams style and not focusing on finding every first round guy.. There are really good players in later rounds..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-28-2014, 02:00 PM   #3
Rookie

JHTJ's Arena

There just aren't enough scout points Imo, all we have to go off of are hints on 10-15 players a season and then very incomplete scouting reports on a very limited number of players. We're drafting blind. Even with the scout perk I'm going into the draft with a small draft board that I'm not exactly confident in. Without game tape, combine, pro days, and raw numbers we need more points. There just has to be a better way. NFL teams have complete scouting reports on every athlete in the draft, why are we so limited?

I'd like to be able to scout who I want when I want with the possibility that my scouting reports are wrong (based on competence of scouting department). Teams draft players they have a very strong feeling are studs who will contribute, we just don't have enough information to draft the same way. With that said, this is probably the best scout/draft madden has had to date.
Old 08-28-2014, 02:09 PM   #4
Rookie

THE SKINNY: Draft on 1st Physical Attributes, and 2nd skills(pass rush, coverage, blocking, etc.). AWR is the easiest thing to develop for players.

Although I see why people would scout awareness (because it seems like a quick way to find decent players); I tend to disagree with the logic behind it. Madden is pretty realistic in that you can teach a player to be smarter relatively easy. It is however hard to make them more athletic.

In madden, developing awareness is pretty inexpensive and can be done throughout their career. So if you have a guy that has 95 Physical but his intangibles suck because his awareness rating is low, you have the ability to turn that player into an elite player. However, if you draft a guy with 88 AWR but his physical is 75 he really will never have a chance at being elite. He may be an 81 or 82 out of the draft but he is likely not going to get much better than that. If you draft a guy who is a 73 and has a 40 AWR rating, you simply need to make that AWR rating average to turn him into a very good player that will make a difference for your team. If that AWR rating gets to a reasonably high level, you have an elite player.

Also when it comes to the salary cap, the AWR rating overinflates the overall of the player. So I am over playing for the actual ability that player has. The strategy I have developed is to draft players with a higher ceiling for growth, develop first their intangible skills (blocking, pass rush, cover, etc) then sign them to a long contract before I start working on their AWR. These players will climb 8-10 OVR in a season but are signed for peanuts for the next 5 years.
Old 08-28-2014, 03:49 PM   #5
Have you seen my baseball

BlyGilmore's Arena

OVR: 44

I'd say scouting and re-signing players are the two biggest disappointments in the CFM for me.

How many years has it been since the old 2K College Hoops game let you actually, physically try out prospects?

I don't see why the game doesn't have some kind of combine in it where you get the base stats/letter grades for players, and then for a select few you can hold workout sessions and actually play with the guy on the field - ala the game prep drills they have.

It'd be awesome to scout a QB, watch him at the combine, then go to a workout and throw some routes to your receivers to get a feel for him.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-01-2014, 10:28 AM   #6
Rookie

I like your point of view, on scouting. But I have found that many of the players have at least a "B" as a letter grade, which in my opinion is pretty good. Is there a number scale available based off the letter grade. I have really been hurting in the draft. But it is a lot more fun having to scout and put your team together.
Old 09-01-2014, 10:39 AM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 2

I find scouting fairly easy, though you have to be willing to see an initially low OVR and develop the player.

For QBs, for example, I want a strong arm first, and then I look at the accuracy stats. When a receiver breaks open, I want the ball there ASAP, so pitching lasers is what I'm looking for in a QB. I could care if they can run, if they can, it's a bonus.

For RBs, I look at speed, acceleration, elusiveness, and carrying. Those are the only stats that matter to me.

For WRs and LBs only, I will go past the letter grade if possible to see their speed. An outside LB with a speed over 85, or a tall WR with a speed over 94 is a HUGE weapon.

For DL, all I care about is the pass rush. High block shedding, finesse moves, and power moves. I once drafted an undersized 7th round DT with a 53 overall rating but 95 block shedding. I moved him to DE, he led the team in sacks and was a 90 OVR in 2 years. That was in Madden 25, a guy named Je'Mario Leon or something, but the concept remains intact in this year's game too.

Think of what works for you in the style you play and draft according to your "system". That's my $.02.
Old 09-01-2014, 11:59 AM   #8
Rookie

Caius101's Arena

I tend to search by stat for their position. I tend to prefer sticky hands over raw speed on my WR's, but always tag SPD & ACC if their catch stats come out as all B's or A's. Physical is also one I look at as a deciding factor if I have 2+ WR's with the same or similar letter grades.
-
This is also true for HB's. Even though I tend to be a smash mouth run team, I value speed and accel first and foremost for running backs. So, those are the first two stats I unlock. Second is trucking & evade and if both are not B's or higher, I move on to the next player (unless they have an A physical, then they stay in consideration).

Awareness, carry & bc vision are pretty quick and easy to work up... so I always focus on things that aren't so easily taught.
-
On QB's, Arm strength first and foremost... If it is not an A, I move on... I don't care how accurate a QB is if he can't fire off a pass quickly. Derek Carr this year is a prime example (as a real player). 93 THP, Quick Development... focus on his goals and pump up his accuracy into the 80's and his awareness near 80 and he can end up 90+ before the first season ends.

I have yet to be able to develop a rookie QB that was drafted, but I am going to assume this works for them as well. I do know that bumping up weak stats for OL (I draft based off Run Block & Impact Block). I tend to get those with weak pass block skills because of how heavily I focus on the running side of things. But, I've had a 72 overall with a 70-72ish passblock be pushed to an 80, his awareness pushed from 60s to 75+ and he would suddenly be an 80+ starter. An easy way to push up lineman... lol.

So, yeah, awareness is useless in drafting. It can be pushed up easily and inflates overalls by a ton.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »