Home

3-4 or 4-3?

This is a discussion on 3-4 or 4-3? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-07-2014, 06:50 PM   #1
MVP

milldaddy35's Arena

OVR: 0
3-4 or 4-3?

What do you guys use? I have been trying to run the 3-4 but cannont get any pressure on the QB? What is the advantage of the 3-4? and the advantage of the 4-3? Thanks for the help
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-07-2014, 07:25 PM   #2
Rookie

elchristo's Arena

Re: 3-4 or 4-3?

your nose tackle forces a double team up the middle, so you got like an extra linebacker
Old 09-07-2014, 07:33 PM   #3
Rookie

JagsFan58's Arena

I actually have had some luck with the 3-4 than the 4-3, or so when I used it. So I guess it just depends on what players you have
Old 09-08-2014, 05:13 AM   #4
MVP

Sheba2011's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by milldaddy35
What do you guys use? I have been trying to run the 3-4 but cannont get any pressure on the QB? What is the advantage of the 3-4? and the advantage of the 4-3? Thanks for the help
I have always used 3-4 but a lot can depend on the personnel you have. If your defense isn't set up for 3-4 you won't have much success.
Old 09-08-2014, 08:05 AM   #5
Pro

BTownSlinger's Arena

OVR: 5

I've always ran a 4-3 and prefer it. I focus on pass rushing DE's, I draft a pass rushing DT then basically a nose tackle for second on the depth chart because he's the one that faces the double teams C/LG. RE and DT #1 face the RT and RG, LE on LT. This formula has worked well for me for years now.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-08-2014, 08:21 AM   #6
Rookie

Zeffy's Arena

Actually, the LE (left of defensive line) goes up against the RT (right of offensive line) but yeah the logic still applies. In any unbalanced formation where there is a strong side, the #2 DT should be lined up in the 1-technique shaded inside of the LG and C. They'll eat up that block, and if they have the balls to single block, they better have freakin Nick Mangold, cause that'll be bad for the running back if that big boy DT gets off that block, heh.

For me, it's just whatever team I'm on. For the Bears, I'm doing my attacking 4-3, ends are 4-3 Run Stoppers or Balanced and the DTs are pass rushers. It's the opposite of what you would think, but both ends are good pass rushers too, so really they're studs against the run unlike most pass-rushers and good against the pass. Linebackers all set for Run Stoppers. My corners are in Run Support to help out - we will press and tackle well to force 2nd- and 3rd-and-long plays. Mix up some Man with the Zone, but press a lot to disrupt those WRs who usually have poor release.

On the Redskins, definitely switch to a 3-4. The LE and DT should be big, strong, run-stuffers that clog up the middle. Block Shedding is a nice bonus, but only if they can make the tackle; otherwise, the blocks they just shed are now on your linebackers, defeating the purpose of the 3-4. The RE should be 3-4 Versatile because that is your "#2 DT" when you go into the Nickel; the 3-4 Pass Rushing OLBs put their hand in the dirt as ends on the outside while the DEs move inside to the DT spots, the real DT (called a Nose Tackle in the 3-4, similar to #2 DT in the 4-3) coming out of the game for the extra CB. This way, you have 3 pass rushers on the field, and not just 2 on the outside. A good pass rushing DE is *amazing* in the 3-4 and can make a lot of big plays in the middle if you manage to get single blocked. Jason Hatcher at RE is a beast for the Redskins because people have to worry about Orakpo and Kerrigan, then they realise they have an 85+ one-on-one with their LG. Not good for their QB. Run a lot more blitzes with the 3-4 to get pressure, because that is the name of the game here. Blitz, blitz, fake blitz, give them heat. Don't let them figure out where it's coming from, either. Left, right, middle, all-out, get the opponent guessing. Use those zone-blitz plays where one DE or OLB drops back into coverage and everybody else overloads the other side. This can be more fun to use, but only if it's working.

It's all your preferences - you should just run whatever your team does default, but if you're going to switch it up, pick your style of play. You can still blitz out of the 4-3, and play more zone/man schemes out of the 3-4, what I put above is more of just a guide.
Old 09-08-2014, 12:02 PM   #7
Banned

I much prefer the 3-4. I think it just allows for more flexibility in what your defense can do. If your personnel are set up for the 4-3, you're generally always going to have 4 down lineman. In 3-4 I love to run 1-5-5. I always find myself drafting a ton of athletic linebackers. It's a more expensive defense to run so getting a lot of quality young backups and developing them early and often is fairly important.
Old 09-08-2014, 12:42 PM   #8
Rookie

dmankey1's Arena

I've always gone back and forth but still prefer 4-3. If you're comfortable with playing either then I'd so go with your player styles.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »