Home

Is it me or are pitchers really good at bat this year?

This is a discussion on Is it me or are pitchers really good at bat this year? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-11-2014, 08:32 AM   #1
MVP

LastActionHero's Arena

OVR: 6

I'm hitting like crazy with a lot of pitchers. I mean Kershaw okay but I just won 4-0 with the Giants against the Cardinals in the NLCS live game and Matt Cain was responsible for 3 rbi's including hitting a massive triple!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-12-2014, 02:39 PM   #2
Pro

OVR: 24
Re: Is it me or are pitchers really good at bat this year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastActionHero
I'm hitting like crazy with a lot of pitchers. I mean Kershaw okay but I just won 4-0 with the Giants against the Cardinals in the NLCS live game and Matt Cain was responsible for 3 rbi's including hitting a massive triple!
Dude I've been thinking this all year but the logical part of my head keeps going "nah no way... it must be a coincidence. There's NO WAY this is a real thing."

But now seeing this thread I have to wonder...
I just had a game where a pitcher went 2-3 with a walk (the walk after fouling off pitches).

And all year I've gotten a lot of quality line drives and stuff with the pitcher.

And it ain't just me, the CPU pitchers have hurt me way too often. people on base and I'm like "well it's just a pitcher" and then sure enough a double to the wall clears the bases.

Pretty sure the game tracks offensive statistics from the pitchers on your team. I'll go take a look when I'm done watching baseball (thank you MLB.TV)

My initial and biased opinion leads me to think pitchers are making disproportionate amounts of quality contact (and contact in general, striking out a pitcher is too hard), both on the CPU side and on my side.
Old 10-12-2014, 05:29 PM   #3
MVP

LastActionHero's Arena

OVR: 6

Ok just had another game (cardinals vs dodgers nlds) where Greinke ánd even Brian Wilson had hits. And then I don't mean lucky bloopers but proper line drives. Man I'm not even gonna pitch hit anymore haha.
Old 10-12-2014, 06:15 PM   #4
Pro

The weird thing is, they are getting the line drives and type of contact that I want to see from everyone else.
Old 10-12-2014, 09:52 PM   #5
MVP

HozAndMoose's Arena

OVR: 7

I seem to do pretty well with pitchers. I think its just because i know they aren't very good so i focus more with them and make better decisions.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-13-2014, 11:54 AM   #6
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Some have said the contact swing is "overpowered" and I usually use that swing for pitchers when I'm not using them to just bunt.

That said, my pitchers aren't exactly tearing it up. I'll look up the stats, but I know Michael Feliz for my Marlins is at like .053 or something with 1 RBI. Granted, I use Timing hitting so maybe that's the difference.

I want to say they might draw too many walks for me, but I don't remember seeing a lot of those either - might just remember it because it's uncommon. Of course, why the CPU is trying to nibble with a curve like he's pitching to Stanton, I don't know.

CPU pitchers - yeah they are a bit ridiculous. Of course, I never really understand how the CPU players work. Last game I played, David Wright hit a ball 460 feet...on 3 CPU power. Earlier, some guy with 50 Power hit one 440 feet. I can't get Stanton to hit them that far consistently...with 9 Power and his 96/99 power rating.
Old 10-21-2014, 10:38 PM   #7
MVP

nuckles2k2's Arena

OVR: 13

I have a RTTS pitcher on the Pirates, and I'm downright terrified of pitching to pitchers.

When I got drafted to the Pirates, I was like "YES!! easy outs vs the #9 spot in the order."

Fast forward to October, and I consider giving the pitcher 1st sometimes. I never do it, but CPU pitchers can absolutely cover the outside corner like nobody's business.

I'm not even gonna talk about the frozen ropes that I smack all over the place.

I thought it was placebo, but 6 months of placebo means...it's not placebo.
Old 10-21-2014, 10:44 PM   #8
Pro

And on the subject of contact swing, I've never touched that button in my life.

All my pitcher success is with the normal swing button.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »