Home

STILL having coverage problems

This is a discussion on STILL having coverage problems within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-28-2014, 01:12 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
STILL having coverage problems

I switched to 3-4.... I have superior corners and other athletes on defense then my friends and they are still torching me. I won the game by 40 points, but that was only because my offense was on point. I can't stop out's and corners to save my life and I have been practicing playing as the #1 mike on defense and trying to cover tight ends and stuff and it's not working. Any suggestions?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-28-2014, 01:27 PM   #2
Rookie

Re: STILL having coverage problems

And fyi: listen I don't expect to shut down anyone and I don't expect to be vastly improved over night. But if I want a chance of winning my conference I have to at least be able to stop the other guys in my dynasty 2-3 times a game. I just can't cover tight ends no matter what I do.
Old 10-28-2014, 01:34 PM   #3
Rookie

Cards_King70's Arena

That's unfortunately because it's same happen to me. My team couldn't stop slot receiver Jordan of Oklahoma State like I mean he had 20 catches and almost 300 yards while he had only 10 catches during 6 games. No matter what I do, he always open even I put him spotlight or turn passing to conservative or aggressive, or even allow qb scrambling in order to prevent wr to get open.

I suspected Oklahoma State had good day. In fact, my SMU team had worst days 3 times against KSU, OSU, and TCU whereas my defense team surrendered more than 500 yards. My defense managed to shut down Texas A&M, Boise State, and Texas.
Old 10-28-2014, 01:36 PM   #4
Rookie

SalvArmyMatt's Arena

OVR: 1

A little thing I do, if I'm confident an out or corner route is coming : run a cover 2 man d. Then user audible the CB that is on the side you expect the route to a yellow zone. Then play a LB and watch for crossing routes.

That yellow zone audible will lock down a lot of sideline routes.
Old 10-28-2014, 01:45 PM   #5
Rookie

What do you mean by cover 2 man d? Is that a 2 man under?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-28-2014, 03:15 PM   #6
Rookie

SalvArmyMatt's Arena

2 man under, yeah. What often happens is the user sees you are in man and doesn't expect the CB to be in a yellow zone and will often throw straight to the yellow zone CB.
Old 10-28-2014, 03:18 PM   #7
Rookie

SalvArmyMatt's Arena

This trick only works on human players. I'll often user D the receiver I expect to run the out/corner route ... intentionally let him get "open" knowing I audible a CB to yellow zone who will ball hawk the pass.
Old 10-28-2014, 04:51 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 4

Here is my tip:
I use 3-3-5 Okie cover 3 as my base defense. To the untrained eye it looks like your basic 3-4, but has SS#2 as the weak side OLB.

The play is cover3. This cover 3 is special because the defenders responsible for the flats actually play the purple “buzz” zone. It’s the old “Buzz Dou” from years ago. The defenders in the purple buzz zones defend against the deep out, comebacks, curl/flat concepts…. but concede to flats. So if the pass is completed in the flats you will need to come up and make the tackle. If you can make the tackle, it’s usually for a small (less the 5 yards) gain.

Also you will need to play as the boundary ILB when the ball is on the hash. The hook zone logic is messed up to you will need to manually correct it. Most players are aware of this as it’s been an issue for years.

Lastly, make sure you are solid on your run fits. This thread is about coverage so I will not go into run fits, but the extract DB can make the defense a little weak against the run if he is not a stud. Also 3-3-5 Okie Cover3 give a single high pre-snap read so you will need to set the force (the SS) to the correct side so you don’t get out flanked.

3-3-5 Okie cover3 isn’t the end-all-be-all defense but talks away many of the money plays (deep out, comebacks, curl/flat concepts….) and only concedes the shallow flats, forcing the offence to dink and dunk down field.

PS….

4 verticals kills this defense so have the audible ready when you get a 2x2 look.

Last edited by Starter; 10-28-2014 at 04:54 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »