Home

Buiding an Offensive Image

This is a discussion on Buiding an Offensive Image within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-18-2015, 09:57 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Buiding an Offensive Image

So in my current Dynasty I just won 6 straight national titles with Oregon. I've been wanting to go to USC and make them a powerhouse again but they haven't parted ways with their coach. So I went to OSU as a Offensive cordinator.( Not planning on staying, I didn't recruit in my last year at oregon cuz I wanted out it was too easy) So if USC isn't an option in a couple years I'm just going to make a down team a powerhouse again. Now I have ran Oregon's offense since I got this game on day 1. So I know the ins and out of it. When recruiting I have put a high value on speed over intangibles. So I have obviously been a spread based team. So when I take over my next team I was thinking of something different. Now how would I recruit for something other than a spread offense?? I've been thinking either running USC's offensive playbook or just starting up a pro style or power run offense. What do I recruit for with each offense? Some help would be awesome.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-18-2015, 10:22 PM   #2
MVP

jbrew2411's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: Buiding an Offensive Image

I-form(Pro Style):

QB: The QB is considered a Pro Style QB because he plays from the pocket. So you need to look for guys that are passes. They don't have to have a huge arm and can even be able to run. The key is that they play from the pocket where in a spread they need to run.

HB: You need several backs. You will need a guy that can run between the tackles, power or balanced, and you will need the speed guy you are more customer to as a receiving back. I use my speed back in all shotgun formations.

FB: You will need one for lead blocking, may use a TE.

WR: You will need several different receivers. You will need a possession guy that can run the short routes to get you yards. You will need a guy with some speed to take the top off the defense. You will also need a guy that can play the slot, speed works well here.

TE: This is the key to a good Pro Style offense. You will need a balanced guy who can block on run plays and work the middle on pass plays, think Gronk or Witten. You will need a second TE for 12 & 22 sets, first numbers is for backs and second for tightends. This second guy will need to block but should be like your #1.

OL: You will need guys that can block on every play. Balanced guys work best.

Power Run Offense

QB: You need a guy that can handoff, any one can do that, but also hit the play action passes. So much like the QB above.

HB: You need a power guy who can wear down a defense while running between the tackles.

FB: You need a guy that can block much like above.

WR: You need guys much like above but the slot receiver will not be used much since a true Power Run offense is a lot of 1-2 wide.

TE: Blocking is the most important skill needed here. If they can catch then that is another weapon on PA plays.

OL: You want big strong guys that can block. Run blocking is what they will do most so it should be the important skills over guys that can pass block.

Both offense are very much the same. In a Power Run offense you run 4-1. The pass is used to get the defense out of the box after they adjust to your run. In a Pro Style offense you can run 1-1 over passing or you can run 2-1 to passing. The key is how the QB plays. You want your QB in the pocket handoff on runs and passing on pass plays. They run to escape pressure while still looking to pass.
Old 01-18-2015, 10:37 PM   #3
Rookie

Thanks I haven't taken a single snap under center sooo this will be a change if I actually stick to it.
Old 01-19-2015, 07:39 AM   #4
Rookie

JBrew, how do you actually get a passing game going in a I or pro form offense?
I am playing with Michigan and use a pistol set playbook. I do not use options plays or qb keeps etc, the QB is actually a pocket passer. Reason is that I want to have a 'power' run type of offense for Michigan. However any of the more traditional running playbooks do not allow me to actually get some sort of a passing game going.

What happens in I formation is that I run 3,4 or 5 plays and if I then want to pass my qb is already sacked before he's ready for a throw. Only thing that works somewhat is a PA rollout pass.

how do you manage that?
Old 01-19-2015, 09:30 AM   #5
Rookie

TarHeelbred33's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by roninho
I am playing with Michigan and use a pistol set playbook. I do not use options plays or qb keeps etc, the QB is actually a pocket passer. Reason is that I want to have a 'power' run type of offense for Michigan. However any of the more traditional running playbooks do not allow me to actually get some sort of a passing game going.

What happens in I formation is that I run 3,4 or 5 plays and if I then want to pass my qb is already sacked before he's ready for a throw. Only thing that works somewhat is a PA rollout pass.

how do you manage that?
Running the ball to set up play action. Having a good ground game is key to getting the pass going. Not just running a couple times into the line, then PA pass, you need to be successful at it

Last edited by TarHeelbred33; 01-19-2015 at 09:32 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-19-2015, 11:22 AM   #6
Pro

sycodmn's Arena

OVR: 5

Power run is basically what I'm forced to do in Madden25 as the Raiders due to Pryor. I bring this up because it's a great cover fire a not great QB.

The main issues with it are that, if your rubbing game gets shut down, you're most likely done. Similar to a traditional (non-shotgun) option game, if you've recruited for it, you likely don't have the playmakers to throw the ball.

Offensive line is the key, as always. I prefer big tackles, the one who protects the blindside should be balanced, the other a road paver. I prefer quick guards that can pull, and a strong center as a pivot.
Old 01-19-2015, 01:27 PM   #7
MVP

jbrew2411's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by roninho

how do you manage that?
I would need to know more about what you are doing. To get a passing game going in a Pro style system is not hard at all. If you run the ball with success then you open up the PA. If you run a pass play try to not look down field all the time. I throw short until the safeties start to move up before going deep. The key to any good passing game is finding the holes in the defense. Also call a wide variety of plays, not just the same 4-5 plays. The CPU is programmed to target plays ran multiple times. With most any passing QB I can throw just fine. If you are getting sacked a lot might need to adjust your sliders or look at the O-lineman that are giving up the sacks. I like how this game might have a player with a high overall that does not play to his potential. I always set my lineup by the skill ratings. Maybe you have a guy with a higher overall but his PBK rating low. My current LT is rated 9 overall points below my number 2 guy, but he has a higher PBK. When the higher rated guy plays he gets beat on every 3rd pass play. If you give more info on how you play then I might can offer more advice.
Old 01-20-2015, 12:14 AM   #8
Rookie

Running pro style all comes down to two plays: the power O and the PA power O. The power O is a marvelous running play that can frequently lead to running backs being sprung outside for big gains. The play is most successful when using a motion man, using a second TE but sometimes the FB, to motion across the formation before the play. This can force the defense to tip their hand before the play, as it can be easy seeing if someone moves with the motion where they will be heading after the snap. Sometimes a team will crash on that play all game long and hold you to very small gains. What do you do? Keep running it and mix in the play action power O every couple plays, which is devestating.

The play action power O has the tight end running a flag route while a receiver runs a streak and the motion man runs a flat route. Almost always a defense that is forced to cover the run will not have good enough coverage on the TE to prevent a floated ball hitting the TE for an uncontested catch some 15-20 yards downfield. Occasionally the streaking receiver will get behind the defense enough for a deep ball to hit him in single coverage a long, long way down the field. In the event that the TE is covered, the defense doesn't have enough defenders on that side of the field to cover both him and the motion man who is running a flat route. Worst comes to worse you can dump off to him for a small gain.

The key is recruiting the right players:
QB: Just get someone who can throw the darn ball
HB: Great HB's are great but not necessary. Get yourself a big back that can get the tough yards, and then get yourself a guy who has breakneck speed. You need a guy who can beat the defense to the edge even if that is his only skill. When I first take over a program I don't always have ridiculously fast RB's readily available. If the only super fast guy I can find is a WR who goes down on 1st contact, so be it. Get a guy fast enough and he'll be plenty useful at avoiding that 1st contact for a long time.
Te: This is the real challenge to this type of offense as TE's are a hot commodity for everyone and there isn't a large supply of them, much less ones who prefer your school. Sell the farm for them and get multiple athletic tight ends. The same way a Gronkowski or Jimmy Graham can dominate the pro game, these guys can be a passing game unto themselves. An athletic TE is the easiest player to throw to in the game, as their size makes a great target while the defenders assigned to cover them can rarely keep up. The routes they get to run are fantastic.
WR: You can survive with pedestrian guys here if you get the right TE. If you recruit guys in the 65-68 range as freshman, they will be viable after a couple years. If possible, get a couple guys with blistering speed.
FB: This guy is pretty important if you want to run outside, and ideally you want one who has about 80 speed to really spring your RB. That's pretty hard to recruit, but outside runs to are deadly if you have a speedy RB and a FB who can take out that one defender out of the way.

The pro offense is easy on the field but difficult to recruit for, which is why I have usually geared towards spread. WR's are a dime a dozen, so I'd often rather run an offense where I can split four easy to recruit receivers out than one dependent on hard to recruit TE's and FB's.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »