Home

So can we admit nba live failed expectations?

This is a discussion on So can we admit nba live failed expectations? within the NBA Live forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-09-2015, 11:48 AM   #1
MVP

GisherJohn24's Arena

OVR: 4
So can we admit nba live failed expectations?

Are they done updating? I still got mbenga as my PG in nba rewind and most of the games I can't play. Not to mention cpu doesn't make substitutions. So everyone just going to sit tight till 16? I still like the gameplay and think it has potential but ignoring the problems they never addressed is a bit of a bummer . Come on ea show us u care!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-09-2015, 01:44 PM   #2
Rookie

seanhazz1's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: So can we admit nba live failed expectations?

Very general question.

If you are comparing it to any other game before it, then I would say NO, its not a disappointment, and I actually think it exceeds expectations in graphics detail, gameplay animations, arena atmosphere, arena layouts, physics, lighting, fun factor, court spacing, halftime show, in season game broadcasters, overall gameplay, and a bunch of other things many have already mentioned in other threads. There is more good than bad in LIVE 15 and would give it an 8 on a re-review, which easily puts it one step behind the competition (8.5 - 9). Both basketball games released to below a 6 for me.

If you speak of missing additional game modes and lack of what has come to be, some common online sports gaming features then yes, I am disappointed, though I am encouraged by some of the podcasts that explained their future direction and focus for LIVE 16/17. Support and communication has been lacking IMO, but thats because some of the parts and pieces of the dev team have moved on, or have been moved around with new responsibilities. Its understandable, but not an excuse.

If you wanted it to be better than 2K's entry, I would say that was an unrealistic goal, head to head to begin with, because each game plays differently and each has its own issues, good and bad. Next year (yr 3) if they release a LIVE 16, they (EA)have no excuse as we raise the bar, and they fulfill their own proclaimed development cycle.

Also, can you please describe your game mode and settings under which you see these issues, because I play almost exclusively dynasty or games against friends all from the broadcast camera on superstar, 12 minutes accelerated, without player icons (icons don't matter just a personal choice for realism), and there are NO substitution issues like you described to be noted from the CPU or user on auto subs. Until we properly standardize and properly categorize our feedback, like some do in the bug thread, the development from community feedback suffers. Some community members do a great job trying to be a liaison for us, (WTF and Steve_OS come to mind) but this is not their job, its volunteer, and more information is better and helps them communicate better.

Lack of details also causes some community observations to be cast off as absurd or craziness by some community members, if its not like what others see in their gameplay experiences, from game settings and camera views to team selection and lineups.

I'm assuming that you are speaking of rewind only (don't play it myself) since you only mentioned that mode, but I cannot properly comment or assist on that issue without being able to set up your exact conditions to test for myself.

In my gameplay, I see time outs called to stop runs (commented on by announcers in game), situational and crunchtime subs, foul trouble subs from CPU, matchup subs from CPU, mid range play from the CPU, CPU and user taking charges, lots of in the paint physics and contact animation shots, proper player box-outs by the user and CPU, smoother transitions on the break, realistic shooting percentages from CPU and user, and generally a different gameplay style from team to team, and from game to game.

Overall NO, I'm not disappointed in LIVE 15 nor did it fail my expectations as generally as you asked.
NBA 2k18
Madden 18
Absolver
STO
TWITCH Stream
BEAM Stream
Old 02-09-2015, 03:37 PM   #3
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

OVR: 49

It failed my expectations.......Fun game to play in spurts though. But to be perfectly honest I have more fun playing NHL 15 and I don't even like hockey. I am pretty sure they done updating and working full time on Live 16 by now.

Out of all EA Sports games, I rank them in this order.

1. FIFA 15
2. Madden 15
3. NHL 15
4. UFC
5. NBA Live 15

Now I am REALLY glad EA didn't get the WWE license. WWE 2K15 have a ton of sliders and every fighter is FULLY editable. I wish 2k got the UFC license. Just a different mindset between the two companies. 2k is all about full USER custom-ability, with lots of sliders and individual player edits. EA on the other hand year by year is taking away sliders and individual player edits in all of their sports games.

But since Fernando left, who knows what NBA Live 16 will look like.
Old 02-09-2015, 03:45 PM   #4
Designer on NBA Live

ProjectLeet's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotmadskillzson
I am pretty sure they done updating and working full time on Live 16 by now.
We are not done updating NBA Live 15 just yet sir. Expect something soonish (can't say dates because who knows, but it's close if things go well.)
Old 02-09-2015, 04:41 PM   #5
Pro

zrohman's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectLeet
We are not done updating NBA Live 15 just yet sir. Expect something soonish (can't say dates because who knows, but it's close if things go well.)
That's good to hear.

Look I want to say great things about Live. If it was near 2k I would probably be on here claiming it's the best Live in history.

But as of now it's completely broken.

2k is not completely broken. It's balanced. It plays smooth. Mid range, long range, inside game all play pretty balanced. I'm not claiming there aren't flaws or exploits but it's pretty balanced.

In Live late game.ai doesn't exist. When you play online they dribble to the hole ALL game. They throw full court passes all game. I will leave steal spamming alone because I think that is easy to defeat if you guard the ball.

But gameplay itself is still broken. The mid range game doesn't exist. And post play is as overpowered as it gets.

So gameplay is broken. No game modes, ai is messed up. No sliders. How can you say the game is a success.

Live 14 was garbage so of course it's better.

Look. I just sold 2k. I can't stand how the players feel and move. Defensive movement is broken on 2k. And I love how Live players move and dribble.

If this update fixes gameplay I will say the game is a must have.

Even with no game modes if gameplay becomes balanced with ai fixed it's a fantastic start.

Only problem is the game should have released like that.

The best comment made was from the person that said Live 15 is what live 14 should have been.

But to me I can't even play a serious game online. It's too late to call it a success even if they fix the issues. But it can still be made into a great game. Just needs a good patch.

Last edited by zrohman; 02-09-2015 at 04:47 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-09-2015, 05:33 PM   #6
MVP

therizing02's Arena

OVR: 20

The frustrating thing about this game is that it seems close to being a more than solid title. A little help with the AI and slight tweak to the shooting percentages and I'll be content until next year.

One more update....
Old 02-09-2015, 05:57 PM   #7
Pro

zrohman's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by therizing02
The frustrating thing about this game is that it seems close to being a more than solid title. A little help with the AI and slight tweak to the shooting percentages and I'll be content until next year.

One more update....
Right. Fully agree. But I shouldn't have to wait five months from launch just to get a solid title that's still behind competition. I don't mind being a little behind in game modes as long as it's solid.
Old 02-09-2015, 08:45 PM   #8
MVP

GisherJohn24's Arena

OVR: 4

Glaring issues of CPU never subbing or calling time outs in season was a deal breaker for me. Didn't want to continue my season anymore. No roster share or customizable rosters can be deL breakers too. Gameplay is solid.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live »