Home

Baseball Rule or Bug

This is a discussion on Baseball Rule or Bug within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-02-2015, 08:28 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 6
Baseball Rule or Bug

I am not sure if this is a baseball rule, or a bug in the game.

Man on 1st base with two outs. I bring in a relief pitcher. First pitch the baserunner attempts to steal second base and i throw him out.

The pitcher is leading off the next inning, and i try to pinch hit for him, however i am prompted with a message "The pitcher must face at least one batter".

Since he did not complete the at bat against the guy he was brought in for, does.

Is this a bug or a baseball rule?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-02-2015, 08:45 AM   #2
RIP Ty My Buddy

nemesis04's Arena

OVR: 52
Re: Baseball Rule or Bug

It is a rule, the pitcher has to face one batter. There was no official at bat because of the throw out situation.
Old 04-02-2015, 08:48 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiteLordz
I am not sure if this is a baseball rule, or a bug in the game.

Man on 1st base with two outs. I bring in a relief pitcher. First pitch the baserunner attempts to steal second base and i throw him out.

The pitcher is leading off the next inning, and i try to pinch hit for him, however i am prompted with a message "The pitcher must face at least one batter".

Since he did not complete the at bat against the guy he was brought in for, does.

Is this a bug or a baseball rule?
Rule. It was not an official PA because the batter wasn't retired/reached base/etc and he would be at-bat again the next inning.
Old 04-02-2015, 08:52 AM   #4
Rookie

saucerset's Arena

Rule 305(d)
(d) If a pitcher who is already in the game crosses the foul line on his way to take his
place on the pitcher’s plate to start an inning, he shall pitch to the first batter until
such batter is put out or reaches first base, unless the batter is substituted for, or the
pitcher sustains an injury or illness which, in the judgment of the umpire-in-chief,
incapacitates him from pitching.

It was put in place to prevent managers from bringing in a reliever with no intention of that reliever facing a batter while their reliever continues to get warm in the bullpen.
Old 04-02-2015, 09:30 AM   #5
Pro

cardsfan2222's Arena

OVR: 12

That is a bug, and rule 305(d) posted above refers to a pitch at the beginning of an inning. The relevant rule is 305(b), which states: If the pitcher is replaced, the substitute pitcher shall pitch to the batter then at bat,or any substitute batter, until such batter is put out or reaches first base, or until the offensive team is put out, unless the substitute pitcher sustains injury or illness which, in the umpire-in-chief’s judgment, incapacitates him for further play as a pitcher.

You should be able to pinch hit, otherwise a team with a lead in the 9th could intentionally be thrown out to force a reliever to bat.

Last edited by cardsfan2222; 04-02-2015 at 10:02 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-02-2015, 09:48 AM   #6
Rookie

saucerset's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsfan2222
That is a bug, and rule 305(d) posted above refers to a pitch at the beginning of an inning. The relevant rule is 305(b), which states: I
f the pitcher is replaced, the substitute pitcher shall pitch to the batter then at bat,or any substitute batter, until such batter is put out or reaches first base, or until the offensive team is put out, unless the substitute pitcher sustains injury or illness which, in the umpire-in-chief’s judgment, incapacitates him for further play as a pitcher.

You should be able to pinch hit, otherwise a team with a lead in the 9th could intentionally be thrown out to force a reliever to bat.
Yep, I was wrong. Sorry about that.
Old 04-02-2015, 09:52 AM   #7

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Yea that's definitely a bug.
Old 04-02-2015, 10:44 AM   #8
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsfan2222
That is a bug, and rule 305(d) posted above refers to a pitch at the beginning of an inning. The relevant rule is 305(b), which states: If the pitcher is replaced, the substitute pitcher shall pitch to the batter then at bat,or any substitute batter, until such batter is put out or reaches first base, or until the offensive team is put out, unless the substitute pitcher sustains injury or illness which, in the umpire-in-chief’s judgment, incapacitates him for further play as a pitcher.

Oh yeah, good "catch!"

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »