Home

Bastardized Pitch Edits 2015

This is a discussion on Bastardized Pitch Edits 2015 within the MLB The Show Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Rosters
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-28-2015, 12:01 AM   #1
Rookie

QuestGAV's Arena

OVR: 0

bastardize verb bas·tard·ize \ˈbas-tər-ˌdīz\

1) to produce a poor copy or version of (something)
2) : to reduce from a higher to a lower state or condition : debase
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the absence of a full set of pitch edits to work from this year, it's been gnawing at me how useful a public sheet would be to work from in solving some of MLBTS15's gameplay problems. In particular, SCEA's roster makers assign a fairly generic set of pitches across the board, failing to use a big portion of the tools they gave themselves and resulting in a bland product. More galling is the number of pitchers who are given wrong pitches or pitches that are significantly off in velocity. Getting fooled by a 74 MPH Tanaka changeup when the guy doesn't throw a change drives me a little batty.

seanjeezy has clearly set the standard on OS with regards to pitch edits for a long time and I have no desire to reinvent the wheel, I'd just like to reinflate the tires. I spent a giant chunk of the past week staring at Brooks Baseball learning how to intepret pitchF/X data. I then spent even more time staring at jeezy's 14 pitch edit sheet trying to learn how he translated the pitch f/x data to ratings for The Show. I finally went into the game and threw a few dozen of each pitch at various movement ratings to understand how the numbers translated to the game. I'm still pretty clueless, but I have a decent idea how he classifies most pitches & movement ratings from the data.

Luckily for us, most pitchers are extremely consistent from year to year so the changes that need to be made to jeezy's masterpiece to give a slightly more authentic experience this year are minimal. I find the most common change I'm making is converting many (but not all) of the running fastballs to 4SFB based on jeezy's own observations of how the two pitches are working this year. Plenty of other guys are getting little velocity adjustments here and there and a handful of guys have dropped or added a new pitch.

The spreadsheet is here if you'd like to check it out as I work on it:

I've only finished the AL East so far. Every player I touch will have "2014 Q" in the source column. Guys who have something else in that column either have no new pitch f/x data or it essentially says their pitches are similar to previous iterations and I'm not touching them.

Hopefully other people will find this useful as they try to make the most of the game! When I'm done, I plan on using them in conjunction with Willard's roster.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-28-2015, 12:25 AM   #2
Rookie

Shuckman's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: Bastardized Pitch Edits 2015

I have also been doing a lot of reading on Brooks baseball and doing some in game testing trying to figure it all out. It can be quite addicting and somehow enjoyable for me lol. And I agree seanjeezy is the best at pitch edits and is a master of his craft. I just couldn't wait for the pitch edits this year so I did some of my own and continue to do more. I did the same with the Hybrid roster from last year. I did all of this for my own personal use thanks to the spreadsheets they have posted.

The amount of work these guys put in to the hybrid ratings and pitch edits is insane. They laid the groundwork for me and I still spent hours upon hours reading and researching to fill in the blanks.
Old 04-28-2015, 01:37 AM   #3
Rookie

QuestGAV's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuckman
The amount of work these guys put in to the hybrid ratings and pitch edits is insane. They laid the groundwork for me and I still spent hours upon hours reading and researching to fill in the blanks.
No doubt, just trying to update everything feels like a fairly monumental undertaking. Can't imagine sourcing it all from scratch. Still, I've had fun with the process this year and learned a ton about pitching/pitches doing it.
Old 04-28-2015, 05:19 PM   #4
Rookie

QuestGAV's Arena

Okay, went through the other 5 divisions today looking for pitchers in the OSFM rosters but not on the '14 pitch edit sheet. There are 230 guys with >65 OVR or A/B POT not on the sheet. I'd imagine the majority of them have very little pitch data (as they're generally younger prospects) but if even half of them do that's over 100 new guys with pitch edits for this year to put together.
Old 04-29-2015, 09:40 AM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuestGAV
bastardize verb bas·tard·ize \ˈbas-tər-ˌdīz\

1) to produce a poor copy or version of (something)
2) : to reduce from a higher to a lower state or condition : debase
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the absence of a full set of pitch edits to work from this year, it's been gnawing at me how useful a public sheet would be to work from in solving some of MLBTS15's gameplay problems. In particular, SCEA's roster makers assign a fairly generic set of pitches across the board, failing to use a big portion of the tools they gave themselves and resulting in a bland product. More galling is the number of pitchers who are given wrong pitches or pitches that are significantly off in velocity. Getting fooled by a 74 MPH Tanaka changeup when the guy doesn't throw a change drives me a little batty.

seanjeezy has clearly set the standard on OS with regards to pitch edits for a long time and I have no desire to reinvent the wheel, I'd just like to reinflate the tires. I spent a giant chunk of the past week staring at Brooks Baseball learning how to intepret pitchF/X data. I then spent even more time staring at jeezy's 14 pitch edit sheet trying to learn how he translated the pitch f/x data to ratings for The Show. I finally went into the game and threw a few dozen of each pitch at various movement ratings to understand how the numbers translated to the game. I'm still pretty clueless, but I have a decent idea how he classifies most pitches & movement ratings from the data.

Luckily for us, most pitchers are extremely consistent from year to year so the changes that need to be made to jeezy's masterpiece to give a slightly more authentic experience this year are minimal. I find the most common change I'm making is converting many (but not all) of the running fastballs to 4SFB based on jeezy's own observations of how the two pitches are working this year. Plenty of other guys are getting little velocity adjustments here and there and a handful of guys have dropped or added a new pitch.

The spreadsheet is here if you'd like to check it out as I work on it:

I've only finished the AL East so far. Every player I touch will have "2014 Q" in the source column. Guys who have something else in that column either have no new pitch f/x data or it essentially says their pitches are similar to previous iterations and I'm not touching them.

Hopefully other people will find this useful as they try to make the most of the game! When I'm done, I plan on using them in conjunction with Willard's roster.
I agree with you completely!! Seanjeezy's edits make the game SO much better!!

How did you figure out the movement & command from Brooks & put it into the game?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-29-2015, 01:11 PM   #6
Rookie

QuestGAV's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by chezel78
How did you figure out the movement & command from Brooks & put it into the game?
Movement is quite easy, it's proportional to the Hmov and Zmov columns in Brooks and varies for each type of pitch. After reviewing half the AL I'm at the point where I can look at the Brooks data and guess within ~10 points of what jeezy would give it for a movement rating. When my guess differs from the value on the sheet I have a set of "reference pitches" I use to compare with to ensure the ratings are consistent throughout.

Command is ultimately much more difficult. The statistics themselves tell you where the pitch ended up - but not where a guy intended to throw it. seanjeezy's only actual comment on command I could find basically said he left it at the SCEA rating. I'm not touching it on this pass through the data. I could come up with a usable formula based on BB/9 and usage percentage. It could certainly get more complicated and look at how often a guy throws that pitch for strikes vs. other pitchers throwing that pitch. I'm ultimately not sure it'd be any more realistic than the values already in the game so the conservative thing to do is to let it ride.

Last edited by QuestGAV; 04-29-2015 at 01:15 PM.
Old 04-29-2015, 02:35 PM   #7
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuestGAV
Movement is quite easy, it's proportional to the Hmov and Zmov columns in Brooks and varies for each type of pitch. After reviewing half the AL I'm at the point where I can look at the Brooks data and guess within ~10 points of what jeezy would give it for a movement rating. When my guess differs from the value on the sheet I have a set of "reference pitches" I use to compare with to ensure the ratings are consistent throughout.

Command is ultimately much more difficult. The statistics themselves tell you where the pitch ended up - but not where a guy intended to throw it. seanjeezy's only actual comment on command I could find basically said he left it at the SCEA rating. I'm not touching it on this pass through the data. I could come up with a usable formula based on BB/9 and usage percentage. It could certainly get more complicated and look at how often a guy throws that pitch for strikes vs. other pitchers throwing that pitch. I'm ultimately not sure it'd be any more realistic than the values already in the game so the conservative thing to do is to let it ride.
Thanks for the info! I think I am gonna wait until OSFM V2 drops and then inputs the pitch edits into that. Hard to wait but I think it will be worth it!
Old 05-01-2015, 01:00 AM   #8
Rookie

These are looking good and I will definitely be using these. Thanks for the hard work on these and the FB/CHG spreadsheet.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Rosters »