Home

Am I the only one who just realized putting sets you up to fail?

This is a discussion on Am I the only one who just realized putting sets you up to fail? within the Golf forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-06-2015, 10:24 AM   #1
Rookie

Barto's Arena

OVR: 3
Am I the only one who just realized putting sets you up to fail?

I don't know how i missed this for so long, but let's say you have a 12 foot putt that is 2 inches down hill.

The putting meter will automatically start you at 14 feet instead of right at the cup at 12 feet away. In past games you would be set to 12 feet and then simply adjust for the downhill slope and any break.

Now if it's a straight putt and you don't adjust 4 feet (in my scenario), then you will likely over run the putt unless you utilize a good putting tempo. This doesn't take into affect fast putting conditions which will only make the amount you need to adjust even greater.

Am i the only one who just now realized this flaw in the game?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-06-2015, 11:13 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Am I the only one who just realized putting sets you up to fail?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barto
I don't know how i missed this for so long, but let's say you have a 12 foot putt that is 2 inches down hill.

The putting meter will automatically start you at 14 feet instead of right at the cup at 12 feet away. In past games you would be set to 12 feet and then simply adjust for the downhill slope and any break.

Now if it's a straight putt and you don't adjust 4 feet (in my scenario), then you will likely over run the putt unless you utilize a good putting tempo. This doesn't take into affect fast putting conditions which will only make the amount you need to adjust even greater.

Am i the only one who just now realized this flaw in the game?
I've actually found that I tend to underswing when putting, so the extra distance on the standard length helps me out some...but I've also blown some shorter, straight putts past the hole because I forgot to adjust the distance and/or stroke length.
Old 08-06-2015, 11:37 AM   #3
MVP

OVR: 2

I have to adjust back due to overswing...but I had caught that extra distance that you are set up for initially.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
Old 08-07-2015, 09:33 AM   #4
Rookie

TomSellecksMustache's Arena

OVR: 6

I haven't noticed it to the level that you have, but I have found that +/- 2 inches I don't have to adjust the speed. Are you saying that no matter the difference, you are auto setup at the proper distance?
Old 08-07-2015, 11:51 AM   #5
Rookie

Barto's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomSellecksMustache
I haven't noticed it to the level that you have, but I have found that +/- 2 inches I don't have to adjust the speed. Are you saying that no matter the difference, you are auto setup at the proper distance?
No, i'm saying the game purposely putts the putter meter further away from the hole. If you don't adjust, then there is a great likelihood of roll over putts.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-07-2015, 08:38 PM   #6
Rookie

PattyJ's Arena

OVR: 0

not going to lie, i never ever adjust the distance of my putter's aim marker, it doesnt feel like it has any effect. i only adjust the distance/tempo of my backswing.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf »