Home

Officiating problems

This is a discussion on Officiating problems within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-27-2015, 11:52 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 3
Officiating problems

(not sure what the thread title should be, so that's all I could think of)

I just played a game in MUT against the Bucs.

I'm down 0-7 with 2:00 to go to halftime and it's 4th down. I take a shot towards the end zone and I absolutely swear by my right hand that the receiver had both feet in bounds, Touchdown. The game should be tied, but the game says it fell incomplete, and a turnover on downs. I would post a replay, but instant replay froze, so I can't really do anything.

I swear that the receiver caught it cleanly and had both feet in bounds - he took like 4 steps before getting out of bounds and the game considers that an incompletion.

Am I the only one who has had a bad experience with the game when it comes to WR catches and the game's officiating? Sometimes my WR catches the ball, takes two steps forward, fumbles it, and the game calls it an incompletion.

Pardon the over-dramatizing, but I haven't had a good experience with the game's officiating so far when it comes to stuff like this.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-27-2015, 12:06 PM   #2
#BringBackFaceuary

ChaseB's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: Officiating problems

I have seen one or two questionable calls in online games so far (sideline catches specifically so similar to your TD one in some respect). My feeling is that the game isn't necessarily wrong in terms of the call itself, but more it's whatever animation(s) are playing that make it seem wrong.

Sometimes maybe the foot planting looks questionable, for example. Like you think both the feet got down but maybe in replay it shows that his foot never really touched (he had hover feet or something). So I'm more prone to believe it's an animation thing more than the game flat out missing the call. But again, just my guess.
Old 08-27-2015, 12:30 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsurocksrule
(not sure what the thread title should be, so that's all I could think of)

I just played a game in MUT against the Bucs.

I'm down 0-7 with 2:00 to go to halftime and it's 4th down. I take a shot towards the end zone and I absolutely swear by my right hand that the receiver had both feet in bounds, Touchdown. The game should be tied, but the game says it fell incomplete, and a turnover on downs. I would post a replay, but instant replay froze, so I can't really do anything.

I swear that the receiver caught it cleanly and had both feet in bounds - he took like 4 steps before getting out of bounds and the game considers that an incompletion.

Am I the only one who has had a bad experience with the game when it comes to WR catches and the game's officiating? Sometimes my WR catches the ball, takes two steps forward, fumbles it, and the game calls it an incompletion.

Pardon the over-dramatizing, but I haven't had a good experience with the game's officiating so far when it comes to stuff like this.
This has been a problem in madden for Almost as long as I can remember.Specially in Madden 25 I have caught passes that were in the middle of the endzone where I was tackled and it would call the pass out of bounds and even upheld in the challenge. It is bad it always has been for me at least
Old 08-27-2015, 12:33 PM   #4
Banned

OVR: 21

The challenge system needs revamping. I have seen players with one foot way out of bounds and be credited with a catch after the challenge. Have also seen the other extreme where 2 feet come down in bounds by a large margin and it is ruled no catch.

I don't know what EA has in mind with the current challenge system or what it is really predicated upon, but it does need a serious examination and tweaking.

C
Old 08-27-2015, 01:50 PM   #5
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by capa
The challenge system needs revamping. I have seen players with one foot way out of bounds and be credited with a catch after the challenge. Have also seen the other extreme where 2 feet come down in bounds by a large margin and it is ruled no catch.

I don't know what EA has in mind with the current challenge system or what it is really predicated upon, but it does need a serious examination and tweaking.

C
ive had 2 seperate occasions on goal line handoffs where my ball carrier gets hit at the line and falls into the endzone plain as day and they dont count. they dont even do an auto review as all goal line plays are suppose to be. whats weird is ive also seen a clear touchdown where a guy walks in getting the auto review a few times and the commentary talks about how every scoring play is now reviewed. seems like the replay system hasnt worked the last few years, many times id challenge a play that was clearly out of bounds just for giggles and it would be ruled in my favor. they really need to work on this...then again...they do simulate bad calls on replays, which do happen in real life. real coaches have to deal with bad calls so i guess we have to as well.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-27-2015, 01:54 PM   #6
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by utfellar
ive had 2 seperate occasions on goal line handoffs where my ball carrier gets hit at the line and falls into the endzone plain as day and they dont count. they dont even do an auto review as all goal line plays are suppose to be. whats weird is ive also seen a clear touchdown where a guy walks in getting the auto review a few times and the commentary talks about how every scoring play is now reviewed. seems like the replay system hasnt worked the last few years, many times id challenge a play that was clearly out of bounds just for giggles and it would be ruled in my favor. they really need to work on this...then again...they do simulate bad calls on replays, which do happen in real life. real coaches have to deal with bad calls so i guess we have to as well.
i forgot my biggest issue with the replay system, there is no auto challenge on last second plays and we dont have the option to initiate a review. several online games have come down to a last second play either throwing into the endzone or goal line runs. over the last few years i can recall a few times where a review should be called but after the clock strikes zero the game just ends.
Old 08-27-2015, 03:52 PM   #7
Rookie

Shizz420's Arena

OVR: 3

I really hate they have the challenge flag/replay and officials "missing" calls in the game.

It's a video game: we can install some utopia where we want to because its an environment we created. The CPU can be perfect....SNES and Genesis versions always got this right.

Plus, they get calls wrong all the time. Especially when it comes down to yard marking. I've disagreed with so many ball spots for years now; but I know challenging is basically setting a TO on fire. Also, I can't even get a measurement with the ball. They have the yard sticks come out in the PS1 version; but NEVER on the PS3 or PS4? Measurements are also pretty important when it comes down to coaching decision.

I understand they want, "realism", but I would rather not have to think about it and just assume that the umpire is gonna make the call 100% of the time.
Old 08-27-2015, 04:06 PM   #8
Rookie

WoW I know I am playing madden 25 but this is just crazy. I just had a play where I am on the defence its 4th Q. Cpu is down 17-10 the cpu is making a game of it with a just a minute left and pushing down the field. They throw a pass in my defenders area I grab it land in bounds but its called a incompletion. Next play the cpu throws just past the first down marker to their RB he has to jump and both feet land out of bounds but called completion yet I can't challenge but it was auto challenge so figured I would get the ball back. Nope called a completion and i mean the cpu was not even close to being in bounds.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »