Home

Got the game - some initial thoughts

This is a discussion on Got the game - some initial thoughts within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 05:44 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
Got the game - some initial thoughts

So, my build up to NHL 16 consisted of playing a few games on NHL 15 so to better gauge the differences and contrast.
Upon jumping into my first NHL 16 game between Chicago and Tampa Bay, my initial reaction was that ice and players looked very similar to NHL 15. Yes, the graphics are a bit sharper and brighter (I am playing on PS4) but one is hard pressed to tell the difference after a glass of whiskey…

I chose Hard Core settings and All Star difficulty, True Broadcast camera.

Gameplay wise, everything feels a lot looser (in a good way). The puck is really lively and poke checks are a potent tool if well timed and well executed. This is valid for both CPU and human. This makes for some pretty unpredictable hockey, which is a breath of fresh air. The speed is not so fast, it feels good and what NHL 16 does better than NHL 15 is implementing different speeds. I felt NHL 15 always played at the same speed no matter who you were controlling or in what context. This year if you time a pass correctly, the momentum of the skater receiving the pass will typically take him past a defender. I like this a lot. It took me quite a bit to get grips with the passing as initially all my passes were under powered. At the beginning if feels frustrating but when you learn to work the various lengths of pressing the pass button, you will be able to zip some pretty long passes. With no assistance on the passing direction, you really have to be careful because the CPU will punish you. I was down 4-0 in my first 10 minutes of the first period, all goals resulting from turnovers.

The AI is hit and miss. There are many improvements in the way AI makes decisions – from forechecking to sending teammates forward on a break. Then again on a few occasions I had a 3 on 2 or 2 on 1 developing and one of my skaters would choose to go for a line change, thus wasting the numerical advantage.

Shooting feels much better – more realistic somehow. What I also like is that if you pass to a skater who is not facing the goal and you attempt to shoot with said skater, he will not do that silly wind up and the back stick shot of years past. It’s almost as if the AI overrules your poor choice to shoot whilst facing your own goal. I am not sure if this happens always, but I am sure it happened at least twice.

Setting up when on a player play feels amazing. It strikes the perfect balance between cycling and danger risk in terms should you lose the puck at the blue line. On one occasion I witnessed a defenseman make a “desperation” move to try and keep the puck in the zone. Not only it served a purpose but the animation looked great too.

There is weight to the players some how, much more so than NHL 15. Hits feel good and being hit also feels authentic somehow. Still, I wish there was even more weight. It still has that hovering over the ice feel.
I saw some new goalie saves, which looked good.

There is still a lot of clustering of players in one spot, frequently resulting in players bumping into each other, falling down, etc. I don’t know – may be EA calls that authenticity, but I find it arcady and silly.

Kudos to EA for introducing some subtle visual options – such as size of player icon and scoreboard size. Certainly not game braking, but I do like the option and I immediately felt that the smaller sizes add to authenticity.
Also the trainer aids are a welcome addition – whilst I can see how they can help a newcomer to the series, I also think they give an insight into how EA believe the game should be played, thus explaining when a pass should be along the line of attack as opposed to across, etc. I have to spend some more time understanding the logic and see if it yields results when applied.

I mentioned passing and poke checking. Other controls feel generally the same as NHL 15. I am not sure about what the precision skating does when attacking. Unless I am doing it wrong, it simply seems to turn the player 180 degrees. I need to experiment the various degrees of pressure on the L2 button.

To summarise, I feel the visuals of the game look marginally better (I was expecting more). Gameplay feels much improved with some subtle but welcome additions. The puck is much looser and there are some nice new animations. I can’t help but feel that this is what NHL 15 should have been. I wish there was a customizable True Broadcast camera or at least have the option to swivel a bit more. Yes, I will play it and probably enjoy it for a month or two, but I feel the franchise has that stale feel to it and it’s about time it gets a complete overhaul for next year.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-15-2015, 06:53 AM   #2
Proctor, MN. Go Rails!

Vikes1's Arena

OVR: 23
Re: Got the game - some initial thoughts

Myself, i'm hoping soon that they fix the frame rate issues at the lower game speeds. Because the speed at default (3) feels too frantic for my taste. Other than that....so far, ok with things although very early in.
Old 09-15-2015, 07:02 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 2

Thanks, this has actually made me a little bit more excited to get the game as a European PS4 player.

Dusted off NHL15 at the weekend there and the hud elements being tidied up and able to be reduced in scale is a big but simple improvement for me.

Seen quite a few threads complaining about choppy frame rates on Xbox One when played at game speed less than 3 in 16. Any of that on PS4?

That was concerning me as I prefer the game speed at 2 as it seems more "regular season". Setting speed to 3 and player acceleration down to 1 is an adequate workaround as far as NHL 15 goes but we really shouldn't have to do that for such a fundamental feature.
Old 09-15-2015, 07:06 AM   #4
Rookie

Ball_Bag's Arena

OVR: 2

Are your defensive AI teammates still brain dead?
Old 09-15-2015, 08:26 AM   #5
Pro

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ball_Bag
Are your defensive AI teammates still brain dead?
Absolutely. 1 vs. 1 online, players just skate down the wing to the corner and curly back. Repeat curling until a CPU dman just decides to skate into the corner for no reason and then try a short side shot/one timer across the crease.

I would say of the 15-20 online games I've played, all but 1 have been this over and over. This game is not designed to play well outside of eashl, imo.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-15-2015, 08:39 AM   #6
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77

Starting an official thread here, feel free to copy your post there. Thanks.

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...pressions.html
Follow me on Twitter
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »