Home

FIFA 16: Gameplay Help and Insight

This is a discussion on FIFA 16: Gameplay Help and Insight within the EA Sports FC and FIFA forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-19-2015, 11:36 AM   #1
MVP

OVR: 12
FIFA 16: Gameplay Help and Insight

Greetings good people.

I have a few questions I need some help on.

*How do I keep the ball when challenged by a defender or take it when I challenge a player? The problem is that when a defender challenges me, I always lose the ball. When I challenge someone, they always shrug me off.

*What is tactical defending and how do you use it? I hear people talk about it but I have no idea what it is.

By the way, I am also trying this new approach of defending by closing down passing lanes, and applying gradual pressure. I am also being more patient in passing realizing that you can't force the ball in. Thus far this approach seems to be working well, makes the game more fun and less frustrating. I do still lose, but I am much more competitive when I lose.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-19-2015, 12:57 PM   #2

kaletore11's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: FIFA 16: Gameplay Help and Insight

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoneBlitz
*How do I keep the ball when challenged by a defender or take it when I challenge a player? The problem is that when a defender challenges me, I always lose the ball. When I challenge someone, they always shrug me off.
Press L2/LT to protect the ball. When you're running and the defender is catching up to you, tap L2 a few times to shrug him off. It will at least give you some more time, but often you'll be able to get rid of the defender completely. Also when you're in a bad spot, hold L2 and press the left analog stick opposite of the way you're facing. That will make your player shield the ball and move it away from the defender.

When on defense, try to wait for the ball to be as far as possible from the attacking player. For example, if he's facing you and standing still, don't go in for the tackle when the ball is at his feet, tackle him when he starts a dribble or movement and the ball gets a bit farther from his feet. When trying to tackle an opposing attacker from behind, tap the tackle button a few times to drag him by the shirt/shoulder but don't hold it because it will most likely result in a foul.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoneBlitz
*What is tactical defending and how do you use it? I hear people talk about it but I have no idea what it is.
Tactical defending is the default defending setting in FIFA. The alternative is Legacy defending which was used in older FIFA games. Tactical defending relies on containing the attacker and tackling in the right moment, while legacy allows you to just press the tackle button and the game does everything for you. Keep in mind that in online games you can only use tactical defending.

To help you play smarter and more controlled defense, you should check this video out. It will teach you almost everything you need to know.
Spoiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by areobee401
Positive HIV test results > fans talking class in sports

Old 09-19-2015, 02:06 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 0

Well said kaletore. I'll just add that I like using the l2 r2 combo while I am sprinting and a defender is catching up. It makes the player pull up and you let the defender run by and can then easily change direction.
Old 09-19-2015, 02:24 PM   #4
MVP

Thanks for the insight good people.
Old 09-20-2015, 11:15 AM   #5
Pro

Josam27o7's Arena

OVR: 3

Use the LT to protect the ball mechanic. Also use the left stick to dribble so you keep the ball away from the defender coming in. Play all the skill games, they teach you the game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-22-2015, 03:05 AM   #6
Banned

OVR: 0

Seeing as this is the a gameplay thread I have a question. How do you knock the ball on when running down the wing? I have tried every combination but can't seem to do it. The computer does it all the time and it's a most effective tactic when running at speed with the ball. Any help would be appreciated
Old 09-22-2015, 06:22 AM   #7
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrycurran62
Seeing as this is the a gameplay thread I have a question. How do you knock the ball on when running down the wing? I have tried every combination but can't seem to do it. The computer does it all the time and it's a most effective tactic when running at speed with the ball. Any help would be appreciated
I think you hold the right trigger and flick the right stick in the direction you want to knock the ball into.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
Old 11-08-2015, 06:44 PM   #8
Pro

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrycurran62
Need some help here... is there ANY way to do this in proportion to the CPU's ability to do this? They can send it several yards ahead with perfect accuracy and I can't seem to get it even half of the distance they tap it ahead. Help!!!

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA »