Home

Jail Break Football 20?? (My Crazy Idea)

This is a discussion on Jail Break Football 20?? (My Crazy Idea) within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 10-15-2015, 05:34 PM   #1
Rookie

stokely10's Arena

OVR: 0
Jail Break Football 20?? (My Crazy Idea)

I have been daydreaming about this all week. If you have the patience (I have included every detail), feel free to take this ride with me. Hopefully I'm not breaking any rules but I copy and pasted my post from the '06 NCAA game thread hoping that it would get more views this way. I remember reading about this as a potential answer to the NCAA game in an article about it being discontinued. I have taken the time to write out all of the details that could make a open source crowd shared football game great

I wish we could use the on field diagnostics from the gen2 NCAA title, probably NCAA '06 (like take the file that includes all of the inner workings), and build from that a totally customizable football game. Take all of the player animations, gameplay physics, and beautify it with ps4 graphics (player models, stadium detail, 3d grass, etc.).

Since you wouldn't have any of the necessary licenses, you would need to open the game up so that everything could be created or downloaded from online files. OSers and similar minded people would make something like this into a crowd/cloud created masterpiece.

Here are some classics from the wish list forums (and some ideas of my own) that could be addressed by this game and how I would do it:

- Constantly updated jerseys -
Jersey editing could be compatible with photoshop so that everyone could make their own concept jerseys like the ones we always see online. Photoshop seems like a pretty great and unlimited tool that could allow for any fathomable idea that someone can come up with. All the game would have to do is create or accommodate an existing photoshop template for the jerseys (with different jersey styles allowing for the mid 90's crop tops!), and let the community do the rest. This could also be an in-game function where the templates can be downloaded to be edited. The game might have to provide the ability for different helmet types (glossy, matte, metallic, chrome, high flake) outside of the editor because I am not sure the capabilities of that. Another thing to think about would be the numbers. The game would have to allow numbers to be dynamic so that each number corresponds with the correct players. It would be cool to allow the numbers to be moved and edited so that they can be placed wherever the user wants like helmets, sleeves, and wherever else. Also, accessories and equipment would be tied to the uniform so that base layers, socks and gloves could go with the given team. -- While we are on the topic of accessories, I have always thought it would be a great idea and couldn't be too hard to allow the length of each item to be editable. For example, there should be a "sleeve top" slider and a "sleeve bottom" slider that would allow the user to put a sleeve on exactly the desired location, socks could be part of this as well. And since we are already this far down the worm hole, how cool would it be to do the same with hair length? This could allow for variable dred lengths and could give us the ability to have a white guy with long straight hair. All the game would need to do is have a slider for hair curl, then a slider for length, the curliest and longest would be a huge afro! -- The game would obviously have to allow teams to have unlimited amount of jersey options, with the team's default jerseys (also changeable) as the ones shown during things like player editing. Downloads could be available at any point throughout the game (even in the pre-game uni selection?), which would allow for fluidity in the jersey evolution of the game.

- Completely customizable and playable leagues and "feeder leagues" -
In my dream of this game, I see 100% playable "feeder leagues" that could take the form of one of millions of options (of these, my favorite would be high school). People would create high school teams, put them in states, classes, districts, conferences. State championships could be a possibility. This would be something that is downloadable to allow for authenticity. Surely, some of the community rosters would even be completely legitimate. This could tie into recruiting as well. The feeder league could also be customized as the NCAA that feeds into the NFL, arena league, or even a fictional minor league NFL.
The way to make all of this possible is by allowing attributes for each league: League rank (for example: 1-NFL, 2-D1, 3-FCS, 4-HS), where the league feeds to (might be most effective if shown as a tree displaying the leagues that feed into other leagues), # of teams, # of scheduled games, acquisition of new players (draft/free agent, recruitment, random assignment), player eligibility, conference/divisional alignment, and type of post season (seeded playoffs with chosen # of teams, conference/divisionally seeded playoffs, or bowl games).

- Stadium creator w/ upload/download capabilities -
Game would come with multiple pre-loaded options and allow the community to create downloadable structures for stadiums and make them all moveable within the plane of the stadium. Seating structures could have editable attributes like density of seating (which would give you the option to pack fans in on top of the action or spread them out with risks of minimized influence on the game), ticket type (allowing for student section, season ticket people, etc). There could be multiple backdrops and even that could be downloadable (imagine being able to use a panoramic photo). Another customization arena should be the field itself. Endzone artwork, 50 yd line logo, and the other logos that are displayed on different areas of the field would be nice to create. The only thing the game would need to provide is the field markings as a template and let users go from there. Another thing to add is field type (grass & grass quality, astro turf, field turf, baseball infield, etc.) with dynamic correlations to real life situations like field/uni/player degradation. For example, a grass field would get trampled down and potentially muddy, while a turf field might be slicker in the rain. This would give users the options to go as crazy as they want making anything from a high school/tiny press box/2 sets of bleachers field to a 150k capacity stadium with purple turf.

- Commentary -
Allow users to create the in game commentary in any way they want. There would need to be a generic commentary that comes standard in the game for those who don't care as much. I mean, lets be honest, nobody has ever loved a game for it's commentary. It's just too difficult to recreate all of the depth that goes into a real life broadcast with regards to dynamic information. After a few years, it is bound to get repetitive no matter what the circumstance. I haven't played NCAA 14 with the sound on since month 2 of owning it. I think the beauty in this idea is the ability to have different commentary for different games. If someone wanted to, and had enough time, they could record and load up real life commentators. The game could also provide for custom TV networks with ties to certain commentators. Not sure how the customization would manifest, but there would need to be common fields that come up throughout traditional commentary to which users could upload audio files. It would be pretty neat to choose your commentators based on the level of game being played. It might also be really awesome to have legends commentating the game (think about having Madden, and/or Keith Jackson call your game).

Other ways the open customization and community sharing would improve game experience:
-downloadable fight songs
-Racial/Financial/Legal demographics with correlation to character grades, roster/fan/cheerleader race, stadium upgrade capabilities, game attendance, etc.
-editable talent heat maps
-Historical stats so players can move up the all time list, this could have correlation to commentary and presentation cutaways (including historical pictures/gameplay screenshots?)
-Entrances uploadable/downloadable hype videos to be played on the big screen pre-game, customizable entrance music for the teams would go a long way to create a real life experience. Might be hard to allow for animations to be customizable with regards to entrances. Game could maybe have all of the real life and generic entrances loaded in for users to choose for each school.
-all star games like Senior Bowl, hs all american game, etc. (this would be one of the league attributes)
-add customization options to scheduling like location to allow for neutral sites
-tv channels that can be tied to certain customizable broadcast features like cut screens and announcers

Other Gameplay Ideas (unrelated to the downloadable content):
- Dynamic Rivalries -This could be a part of the news section and could even have dynamic correlations to other parts of the game, like stadium noise, gameplay difficulty, commentary, etc. Give users the ability to choose rivalries (that can be played at a certain time each year if desired), but include a dynamic rivalry slider that is affected by games played. Take into account the number of unsportsmanlike penalties, (ESPN) classic games, score differential (showing instances of both close games and cases of running up the score), and divisional impact (teams in the same division that always wind up playing to make it to conf. champ).
-Duplicate numbers with real life penalty for two on the field at same time
-Medical redshirt
-(haven't thought this one out thoroughly)-all players recruited/scouted as athletes with individual skill sets. Coaches can tell players their position throughout the process, or wait until they are on the team. This can affect players interest and give weaker schools opportunities to get good talent/undersized players. This could also allow for a college QB to be drafted as an NFL WR which is currently impossible in the NCAA/Madden relationship. Picture recruiting a pure speed guy with no other tangible football skills and coaching them up into an all star.
-skill attributes related to animations (worse qb's have slower release, db's/wr's with poor carrying rating don't tuck it away, db ball skills affect whether head turns or not, different running styles, tackling ability affects form, etc.)
-custom depth chart positions (most real life teams replace FB with a slot receiver)
-include all forms of punishment (and a made up story to go along with it in the paper) that is seen in real life which is correlated to options in the game like players with low character grades will get suspended, allow for illegal recruiting tactics (booster asking if you want them to "take care" of a kid) with risk of penalization, high school eligibility with regards to transferring schools (lying about a kid's residence to put them in your district), and have the occasional random bad luck such as a Penn State situation, or a booster acting on their own.
-All recruiting is liquid until signing day (include a verbal commitment decision happiness rating to give users information on how to act)
-Pre-season scrimmages
-player development variables that allow for under recruited players to become Tom Brady or Wes Welker and allow absolute studs to become busts
-factor size as a scouting metric for previously stated reasons
-single player mode (duh!!! taking a kid all the way through hs to the pros with the risk of not making it and playing arena/canadian/intramural football???)
-live action celebrations as opposed to the horrendous '14 cut scenes where a guy can get up, walk back to the huddle, then (with a close-up from a camera man that can apparently exist standing in the middle of the field right after the play) be back on the ground and go through some sort of celebration animation. Have the camera angle change to the (realistically filmed) close-up while the player is still in the action of celebrating! The animations don't even have to change, just place them at the end of the play.
-progressive weather that changes throughout the game and can be correlated to gameplay and commentary (wet field = slippery ball/ground)
-sidelines still need work
-realistic roster size so we don't have to cut down to 70 sending potentially great players into a black hole, and while we're at it, letting those players that we do cut live on to transfer, become FA, or go to a lower league
-time between snap options so teams can choose to huddle, line up then check (with coachable check options), or hyper speed.

One thing that would be a must for this format of a game is that all changeable options are still allowed once a file has been started and used. How nice would it be to have a few seasons under your belt and decide to change anything you want (add/change uniforms, edit stadium, import new rosters to the feeder league, tweak league alignments, move cities, etc.). I can't count the number of times I have had to quit and start over on an NCAA dynasty just because I forgot something.

I also think that this game should be compatible with computers, or any other type of technology so that when someone is away from their console, they can still tinker with their files.

This game would be designed by the people and for the people. With all of this in mind, the developers would actually listen to the communities and provide patches that give the people what they want. The patches would have the ability to be incorporated into in-progress files so to not force users to restart careers.

Last edited by stokely10; 10-15-2015 at 05:50 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-16-2015, 02:13 PM   #2
Rookie

stokely10's Arena

Re: Jail Break Football 20?? (My Crazy Idea)

I mean, what would it take to just build a gameplay engine like the Infinity or Ignite engine using all of the knowledge of people on this site and allow all of the details to be added by the user?
Old 10-16-2015, 03:09 PM   #3

NewNapkin's Arena

OVR: 9

I appreciate the enthusiasm, but I am pretty sure this is illegal, and all of the knowledge on OS combined would not be nearly enough to accomplish this.
Old 10-20-2015, 10:48 AM   #4
Rookie

stokely10's Arena

I'm sure that original coding wouldn't be illegal. However, it might take years to accomplish.
Old 10-20-2015, 09:13 PM   #5
Rookie

binga30's Arena

Trust me I've had many dreams of making a football game. It's a lot harder than you think...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-01-2015, 04:31 PM   #6
Banned

I've thought about this too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-11-2015, 12:13 PM   #7
Rookie

wonderl33t's Arena

OVR: 2

I think it would be legal to make your own football game with real NCAA teams and players as long as it's free.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »