Home

Face scans... who's in who's out?

This is a discussion on Face scans... who's in who's out? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-02-2016, 11:12 PM   #1
Windy City Sports Fan

Gagnon39's Arena

OVR: 25
Face scans... who's in who's out?

I'm curious if anyone knows how the SCEA team goes about getting their face scans for players. Of particular interest to us Cubs fans, there's a lot of youngsters on the team that I'd really like to see look like their real-life counterparts on The Show: 16. Do they ever release a list of how they added before the game comes out?

Streaming on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/gagnon39
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-02-2016, 11:17 PM   #2
LADetermined

ShowTyme15's Arena

OVR: 12
Re: Face scans... who's in who's out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnon39
I'm curious if anyone knows how the SCEA team goes about getting their face scans for players. Of particular interest to us Cubs fans, there's a lot of youngsters on the team that I'd really like to see look like their real-life counterparts on The Show: 16. Do they ever release a list of how they added before the game comes out?
They do face scans in spring training a year ahead of time. Example. All of MLB 16's new scans were done spring training of 2015. As for your Cubs players SCEA does face scans of players in camp, but not all players participate nor are they required to. No guarantees they got scans of Schwarber or Russell etc.......
Old 01-02-2016, 11:40 PM   #3
Windy City Sports Fan

Gagnon39's Arena

OVR: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShowTyme15
They do face scans in spring training a year ahead of time. Example. All of MLB 16's new scans were done spring training of 2015. As for your Cubs players SCEA does face scans of players in camp, but not all players participate nor are they required to. No guarantees they got scans of Schwarber or Russell etc.......
That's what I've always figured. It would be the best place to get them all at once. But I've always figured it would depend if the player was there the day SCEA was there as well.

Streaming on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/gagnon39
Old 01-02-2016, 11:46 PM   #4
LADetermined

ShowTyme15's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnon39
That's what I've always figured. It would be the best place to get them all at once. But I've always figured it would depend if the player was there the day SCEA was there as well.
That is usually the case. The player has to be there and willing to be scanned.
Old 01-03-2016, 12:34 AM   #5
All Star

HustlinOwl's Arena

OVR: 50

Todd Frazier much needed for past 3 years now
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-03-2016, 12:43 AM   #6
MVP

Houston's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShowTyme15
That is usually the case. The player has to be there and willing to be scanned.
You would think in this day and age with all the technology and what tools they used last year or on MLB 15 to do the skin coloration, grass textures that they would have a tool by now to do face scans from there office thru the computer etc..

I remember take 2 and visual concepts did an amazing job on the players on MLB 2K7 not sure how it was done but if devs can do what they did would be great. When I talked to the guys back then they did it from there PC scanning there face that way and that was 2007 fast forward to 2016 hoping there has to be a way that tools and technology would allow them to just sit on there computers with the tools they have and do face scans.

I know that there goes a lot more into it not claiming to be a graphics designer, developer or anything like that, just thinking now were in 2016 if they had the tools to do it that way. Most games only do certain players would be nice to at least have the p;layers on 40 man or who are on the game at release due not being able to use certain players likeness in the game right away. Then once roster updates were out Lorne and Topps could scan the faces of players they legally add in roster updates the same way.

A good read if anyone curious what the process use to be on face scans.

http://www.cgw.com/Publications/CGW/...BOUT-FACE.aspx

Last edited by Houston; 01-03-2016 at 12:51 AM.
Old 01-03-2016, 12:46 AM   #7
MVP

Houston's Arena

OVR: 0

But again thinking about it more they don't have the full rights to the MLB. Guessing they are only allowed to do so much. You would think MLB would somehow work with SCEA to get this stuff in since there really the only baseball game in town that's a true simulation and not arcade.
Old 01-04-2016, 06:47 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 1

Trout, Cespedes, Marte are a few that have had generic faces since they have been in game

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »