Home

NBA 2k17 = Choops 2k8?

This is a discussion on NBA 2k17 = Choops 2k8? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 09-09-2016, 11:29 AM   #1
Pro

OVR: 9
NBA 2k17 = Choops 2k8?

Based off of playing the prelude.. this game moves and feels a heck of alot like Choops used to. I'm curious if it was built on the same platform/engine? And if so, what took so damn long??

If you go back and watch videos of the old Choops2k8 game, and compare the standstill dribble moves, the spins.. the spin through the lane with the big guys.. the slow passing..the smoothness & tight ballhandling control.. the collision detection in the lane.. this is all VERY reminiscent of the masterful 2k8 game and has never been in any recent NBA 2K titles.

Those of you who've never given the title a try, if you have an old xbox or ps3 sitting around, you should definitely pick it up. It's probably the best playing hoops game ever created.

I'm also wondering if at some point we'll have the ability to playthrough an entire college season using generic players within a future 2k title. It's obvious that the collegiate licenses are now restored.

PS- this thread isn't an indebtment on 2k17, just a curiosity.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-09-2016, 11:32 AM   #2
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: NBA 2k17 = Choops 2k8?

college hoops 2k8 is THE best college bball ever IMO!

i only have a ps3 still to play that and ncaa football 14! if 2k17 is similar to CH2k8 - wow!! havent played the prelude yet but you got me excited!!
Old 09-09-2016, 11:40 AM   #3
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by modelboy
Based off of playing the prelude.. this game moves and feels a heck of alot like Choops used to. I'm curious if it was built on the same platform/engine? And if so, what took so damn long??

If you go back and watch videos of the old Choops2k8 game, and compare the standstill dribble moves, the spins.. the spin through the lane with the big guys.. the slow passing..the smoothness & tight ballhandling control.. the collision detection in the lane.. this is all VERY reminiscent of the masterful 2k8 game and has never been in any recent NBA 2K titles.

Those of you who've never given the title a try, if you have an old xbox or ps3 sitting around, you should definitely pick it up. It's probably the best playing hoops game ever created.

I'm also wondering if at some point we'll have the ability to playthrough an entire college season using generic players within a future 2k title. It's obvious that the collegiate licenses are now restored.

Honestly that's a compliment and I played that game. It was nice as heck, it does bare some similarities. It's ironic though cuz I bet you they had completely different teams do each game, Wang and his crew probably thought long and hard about this (2K17) game and put hours in and we over here saying it's like a game from 9 years ago. #sorryWangWEnotWORTHY
Old 09-09-2016, 12:02 PM   #4
MVP

Junior Moe's Arena

I just finished the Prelude and I really, really miss College Hoops now. Yes, this game does have that vibe so far. Hopefully we can recreate it with our MyLeagues and whatnot. Also, I believe that some of the guys who worked on College Hoops are now on the NBA 2k team. College Hoops was a gem. I still play it on the PS3 every few weeks. It's ugly as hell now but man it's still as deep as ever. There's no worse feeling than having a player you recruited for years sign elsewhere; then star there. Good times, still...I'd take that game exactly as it was just with this engine and graphics and be set for the next few years. If they included a MyCareer portion of the game that continued into NBA and released it during the summer I think it could really work. You could easily do two or three full collegiate years before the pro game came out.
Old 09-09-2016, 12:07 PM   #5
Rookie

So I downloaded the New Zealand version of the game first

I played the MC and went through a cut scene and exited before playing a game. Then the North American version of the prelude came out. So I deleted the NZ version and tried playing mycareer on the NA version but it told me I already played it. I haven't even played a game. How can I fix this? I never completed the mycareer games.

Please help.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-09-2016, 12:08 PM   #6
Rookie

adwin7's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by modelboy

I didn't play much choops but I agree that the feel of this game is what I expected of next-gen basketball. The smoothness of the animations really sticks out the more you play. It really is as responsive as it looked in the leaked footage.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Old 09-09-2016, 12:21 PM   #7
Pro

Hopsin's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardorozay
So I downloaded the New Zealand version of the game first

I played the MC and went through a cut scene and exited before playing a game. Then the North American version of the prelude came out. So I deleted the NZ version and tried playing mycareer on the NA version but it told me I already played it. I haven't even played a game. How can I fix this? I never completed the mycareer games.

Please help.

Night have to go back and play the NZ version if you want a few games.. Not sure what else to say

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-09-2016, 12:27 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 4

You gotta be nuts OP.

8-9 years of nonstop development on gameplay systems which now don't even resemble the old days in complexity, etc and you're asking if 2k17 might be built on the choops engine?

Maybe that was a joke.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »