Home

WR blocking is still awful

This is a discussion on WR blocking is still awful within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-30-2016, 03:19 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
WR blocking is still awful

I like running screens and throwing to my backs and TE as well. Currently using the Seahawks and have used the Cards, Steelers and Panthers in the past. They all have the same problem. When I throw to my RB coming out of the backfield, WRs just keep running their routes, even when my RB is coming up right behind them, the defender just cruises right by my dumb WR who doesn't even attempt to block him. On a related note, how does ONE defender still magically get thru 3-4 huge lineman blocking on a screen? Its unrealistic garbage like this that make this game frustrating more times than not.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-30-2016, 06:02 PM   #2
Rookie

Sucram7777's Arena

Thumbs down Re: WR blocking is still awful

Lol and I thought I was the only one with these problems.

I like to run outside the tackles, and often times I get one on one with the CB and manage to get by him. My WR - who is dowfield and supposedly looking for next level players to block - never even manages to lay a hand on one, and watches me get WRESTLED to the turf by a LB/FS.

My FB or TE blocking on the side of the run will give a quick block and then DISENGAGE from those defenders, who manage to stuff me in the back field for a loss.

It sucks because I look at what's happening on the line before my HB even receives the ball, and when those guys peel off their blocks (for no good reason) I already know I'm screwed.

Someone was telling me that you shouldn't "sprint" with your HB until you see the hole, because Sprinting actually "activates" the defenders to shed their blocks earlier than usual and come at your carrier.
Old 09-30-2016, 06:25 PM   #3
Rookie

Re: WR blocking is still awful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sucram7777

I like to run outside the tackles, and often times I get one on one with the CB and manage to get by him. My WR - who is dowfield and supposedly looking for next level players to block - never even manages to lay a hand on one, and watches me get WRESTLED to the turf by a LB/FS.

My FB or TE blocking on the side of the run will give a quick block and then DISENGAGE from those defenders, who manage to stuff me in the back field for a loss.

It sucks because I look at what's happening on the line before my HB even receives the ball, and when those guys peel off their blocks (for no good reason) I already know I'm screwed.

Someone was telling me that you shouldn't "sprint" with your HB until you see the hole, because Sprinting actually "activates" the defenders to shed their blocks earlier than usual and come at your carrier.
Yep, it sucks. Stretches and outside zones work ok unless you are playing a quick D like Carolina but yea, the blocking is still miles away from where it should be and Ive used teams with good O lines and blocking WRs. Interesting about the sprint button though because I always get on it as soon as I get the ball. I'll try laying off it and see what happens.
Old 09-30-2016, 07:38 PM   #4
MVP

4thQtrStre5S's Arena

Quote:

Could you elaborate on what you mean by the defensive players peeling off their blocks, "for no good reason"?

You mean cause there is no animation for the defender shedding the block and they just magically disengage?
Old 09-30-2016, 11:15 PM   #5
Rookie

Sucram7777's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thQtrStre5S
Could you elaborate on what you mean by the defensive players peeling off their blocks, "for no good reason"?

You mean cause there is no animation for the defender shedding the block and they just magically disengage?
Bingo.

My blockers will give the initial contact of their block, and then "release" from it.

I don't mean the Linemen, I mean the TE or the FB - the latter who's supposed to be the LEAD Blocker that helps spring me into open field for the next level of players. It's not even like they get bulled or finessed around, sometimes they just give a "pop", and then act like their job is finished. Usually it is THAT defender that drags me down and it's very frustrating...

I'd rather the reason for me getting stuffed is because the defender is skilled, or the blocker is not that effective at his job......not because of faulty AI.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-01-2016, 12:44 AM   #6
Rookie

Quote:
Bingo.

My blockers will give the initial contact of their block, and then "release" from it.

I don't mean the Linemen, I mean the TE or the FB - the latter who's supposed to be the LEAD Blocker that helps spring me into open field for the next level of players. It's not even like they get bulled or finessed around, sometimes they just give a "pop", and then act like their job is finished. Usually it is THAT defender that drags me down and it's very frustrating...

I'd rather the reason for me getting stuffed is because the defender is skilled, or the blocker is not that effective at his job......not because of faulty AI.
Lead blocking has been broken since m16 but few commented on it. M15 the lead blocker / pulling lineman would often plow over a smaller player at the 2nd level (perhaps over powered..) but now more often than not the player they engage disengages (sheds) immediately and is rarely out of the play for long even in the best cases.

It's annoying and unrealistic.
Old 10-01-2016, 12:50 AM   #7
MVP

4thQtrStre5S's Arena

Quote:
Bingo.

Yes, I am seeing the same thing, and I am frustrated by it also..
Old 10-01-2016, 09:10 AM   #8
MVP

This is just as comical as when Hines ward used to lead the league in pancakes every year. Madden always has a problem with balance.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »