Home

Hello everyone! Do you have some tips for a new guy?

This is a discussion on Hello everyone! Do you have some tips for a new guy? within the Diamond Dynasty forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > Diamond Dynasty
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-16-2016, 03:39 PM   #1
Rookie

jnavarro's Arena

OVR: 2
Hello everyone! Do you have some tips for a new guy?

I'm back on Operation Sports after being gone for a few years. I love The Show and I've always played Franchise. I'm new to Diamond Dynasty and just got the game and a PS4 this weekend. I have played Madden Ultimate Team so I have an idea of how that format works but I'm new to this version. Does anyone have any tips on how to build a team or is it too late in the year to start? Are there certain challenges I should be doing? It looks like Stubs are for buying cards and packs, but what are tickets for? Are you able to make stubs through marketplace speculation as you can on Madden? Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time and it is good to be back here. I always liked this site and will start reading the forums as much as I can to learn.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-19-2016, 08:04 AM   #2
MVP

Syce's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Hello everyone! Do you have some tips for a new guy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnavarro
I'm back on Operation Sports after being gone for a few years. I love The Show and I've always played Franchise. I'm new to Diamond Dynasty and just got the game and a PS4 this weekend. I have played Madden Ultimate Team so I have an idea of how that format works but I'm new to this version. Does anyone have any tips on how to build a team or is it too late in the year to start? Are there certain challenges I should be doing? It looks like Stubs are for buying cards and packs, but what are tickets for? Are you able to make stubs through marketplace speculation as you can on Madden? Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time and it is good to be back here. I always liked this site and will start reading the forums as much as I can to learn.
to answer one of your questions, tickets are used to buy cards from the Captains, you level up the captains and at certain levels you can purchase better and better player cards, however you cannot sell those cards on the marketplace. essentially a lot of the top end cards for example Mike Trout you either get lucky in a pack or you play the marketplace until you gain enough stubs to buy him, or you can get lucky and see him pop up in one of the captain pages and if you have enough tickets you can buy him there as well
Old 12-03-2016, 04:34 AM   #3
OuttaNaptown

punx317's Arena

Nah its not to late to build a team. Mlb is so popular people are on and off it all year. You really just need to use the databases that are out there and you can build a team quick and cheap that will compete

Sent from my BLU LIFE XL using Tapatalk
Old 12-05-2016, 12:49 PM   #4
MVP

Turbojugend's Arena

Yeah, it's definitely not too late to build a great team. If anything, this is the best time as the offseason + people building their Diamond/Legend collections has devalued the rest of the market. You should be able to purchase an All-Gold squad on the marketplace just by playing for awhile.

Ted Williams has a surprisingly easy set of missions. There is an initial investment in Rookie/Prime/Legend flashbacks, but some of those cards can be found dirt-cheap on the marketplace and you can also resell those cards as you move up through the ranks. Not a bad way to earn a 99 OVR Teddy Ballgame.
Old 12-06-2016, 01:46 PM   #5
Rookie

jnavarro's Arena

OVR: 2

Thanks guys! I have been working on some of the missions and they are surprisingly quick to come along. I really like this mode and I'm glad I tried it out.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-14-2017, 03:54 PM   #6
Just started!

I am also a newish player with an 81 overall team. What I gather from this topic is that I should be going for Ted Williams. Any other advice? How do I play the market? Also why can I not post my own topics?
Old 01-15-2017, 02:41 PM   #7
Rookie

Yari's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan314
I am also a newish player with an 81 overall team. What I gather from this topic is that I should be going for Ted Williams. Any other advice? How do I play the market? Also why can I not post my own topics?
My advice is to go after whomever you want to go after. It's your team, build it how you want. I have Jose Bautista at first base despite having far better options because I like the guy (former Pirate). I build theme teams sometimes or in general just go with players I like even if they aren't the best, such as Odubel Herrera, Sean Rodriguez, and Brock Holt. Those three players are excellent utility additions to any lineup and with their versatility can free up a valuable bench position for a big bat or even two.

Since you have a team rating of 81 I'm going to assume that you have some solid gold or silver cards in your lineup. I personally would look through the silvers to see the diamonds in the rough and if you can work with them. For example, Antonio Bastardo on the Pirates is an excellent RP if you can work around his very low BB/9 rating.

I would focus more on depth of your squad than any one player, IMO. Ted Williams is pretty good but he's only as good as the player who controls him and also if he's your only good player then people could just walk him to get to a significantly weaker hitter. There are some really great silvers and even bronzes that you could plug into your lineup and be competitive against diamonds if you know what you're doing.

Moving on to the pitching aspect, for me, pitching is extremely important in DD. You'll definitely want to look for players with high h/9 ratings and not skimp in either the starting rotation or the bullpen (the latter especially if you play conquest mode). There are some really great value pitchers like Raisel Iglesias, FB Chris Sale, Oliver Perez, etc that can really strengthen your bullpen for minimal stubs.
Old 01-17-2017, 11:40 AM   #8
OuttaNaptown

punx317's Arena

Use the available databases out there and you can create a team on a micro budget able to compete with anyone. I've used silver level pitchers almost all year due to the fact I got Felix Hernandez and he didn't pitch a single game for me out of a posibble 50-60 GMs. Focus on pitch speed differential and break/control ratings

Sent from my BLU LIFE XL using Operation Sports mobile app

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > Diamond Dynasty »