Home

MyCareer Speculation 2K18

This is a discussion on MyCareer Speculation 2K18 within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-15-2017, 09:35 AM   #1
Pro

isdatyt's Arena

OVR: 0
MyCareer Speculation 2K18

With no news for MyCareer announced or teased yet, I wanted to gauge the community and ask what NON-GAMEPLAY features you guys want to see or are expecting for the mode and before we get 984 responses saying "No Justice Young" we're likely going to have some form of sidekick because to devs, it provides immersion when they can't get a bunch of NBA guys to do voice acting and they can get real actors.

I was initially expecting an injury story line from 2K or something else that would allow us to play more than one year of college. To me that's the funnest part of Career because I miss college hoops games, but really it just feels like a breath of fresh air grinding the same 48 minute games. I hate that we can't change the minutes in college to play full games.

Speaking of breaking up the grind, I was hoping they'd bring some of the Pro-Am leagues to 2K because they keep me fed in a summer full of sports I don't care about. One thing I love about that like demo is playing in the Pro-Am leagues, Rucker, Venice, Drew, Crawsover. These are things guys do in the offseason and while it's just standard pickup in Live, I know 2K could expand on it. Maybe you go to the Drew and try to recruit a free agent. Or you have to do other things during the summer, similar to endorsements. I'd love to convince PG to come to my team by dominating the Drew league with him.

I was mainly hoping they'd add some more personality in this regard, hanging out with players in 2K17 has no real effect in terms of relationship. You can get a signed jersey, signature shot, Free Agent card, but that's it. Imagine if you had to manage friendships. Maybe you hang out with PG as much as possible so you end up snubbing another player. Maybe that develops into a rivalry and they play better against you or you get a bonus when you play well against them.

I need them to freshen up the mode and I have no doubt they will for the initial portion but what will they do about the incessant grind that comes around the time that you get into the playoffs the first year? This mode can span 20 years but after the first one it's all a blur. We need more features, give us back the ability to respond to people on social media which can tie in with the rivalry system or allow me to trash talk Jason Whitlock at every opportunity. It was so fun to have little bets with guys who talk trash and you beat them. Maybe you go too far and get asked about it post game. Maybe you collude with a player during the season and get in trouble for tampering or lower team morale when you say something that disparages your guys.

I feel like this mode needs more RPG elements because as of now it's nothing but a glorified grind mode for Pro-Am & Park and as someone who has zero interest in either one of those modes, I've been playing career less and less each year.

Bring back the d-league, I'd love to get sent down for having a bad game. I want branching, yes sometimes it's fun to build the best player of all time, but sometimes I wish I could make a guy who could at least struggle initially. The only year I struggled in career was the first year they did the draft combine prelude. I ended up on the Reno Big Horns and that was honestly the most fun I've had in the mode.

What are some ideas you guys have to breathe new life into the mode?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-15-2017, 10:09 AM   #2
MVP

infemous's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: MyCareer Speculation 2K18

1. better draft presentation - i want to see my player go up and shake Adam Silver's hand, with some commentary detailing what happened in my college career and why I rose or fell in the draft.

2. off-season training - much like you said but i also want to do the majority of my attribute grinding in the off-season, so you get bigger rewards for finishing a season and it would also allow me to skip a couple of games in the actual season. I want to have the option to play 82 games, but I also want to be able to pick and choose and get some years into my career without adversely affecting my player's development.

3. general grind abolishment - the badge grind is SO tedious - please just allow us to earn badges in each respective mode - like pro am badges can only be earned in the pro am games (not walk on) park badges only in the park and mycareer badges only in mycareer. - i want to enjoy the story of mycareer and invest in my player becoming the GOAT - not call for a million pick and rolls in pro difficulty and lobbing it up to alex len like he's deandre jordan all game

4. dynamic relationships - just as you said, but i would love every interview you have in the game to affect team morale, chemistry, your marketability, your minutes etc. i want to choose to become a locker room cancer that is put up with because i'm the best young talent in the league, or be a really nice but boring player that isn't marketable.

5. i would like to be involved in plays when not playing PG. as a SF I'm never even asked in the play art to be involved in any part of plays, and this is tied to team-mate AI - the team shouldn't revolve around me immediately, nor should the AI ignore you as much as they do when you are low overall - this should be tied into team chemistry from point 4 - if i am a locker room cancer, players shouldn't pass to me as much, so i have to do it alone.

6. when negotiating contracts I would like to see real dollar numbers. I want to see what a max deal looks like - just create a scale or translation of dollar numbers to earned VC - i don't know if i'm being lowballed or not being offered 500VC a game when I was a rookie MVP and brought a championship singlehandedly.

7. i would like to be able to select more dynamic animations, much like how for park i can select which fancy passes i want to do, or alley-oops - i would love to be able to select these for MyCareer and Pro-AM (not necessarily the same ones but just be able to tune which 'NBA' animations I can do - i don't want to be doing backflip passes and **** in the NBA but maybe I prefer no-look dishes over behind the back passes etc.)

8. MOST IMPORTANTLY - I want to be able to set an auto-play 'agenda' so that I don't have to constantly load in and out of my court. I want to be able to select what things I want to do in my game session from my court so - attend practice, practice, Nike event, game, practice, practice, event, event, game, game, etc. etc. - the game will then just auto-load you into each event with cut scenes playing over loading screens meaning I don't have to waste half of my life to watch my guy pick up his bag, walk out, come back in, receive a text, tell denver to leave me alone, pick up bag, walk out, do practice, come back, receive text, tell denver to leave me alone, pick up bag, walk out, do practice, come in, ignore denver again and then pick up bag, go play game etc. IT IS SO TEDIOUS.

Speed up the way we navigate through the mode and allow us to simulate games without negatively impacting our ability to practice or go to events - i don't see why we are being punished for not wanting to play 82 games in a season - i don't want to be a rookie MVP i want to win multiple championships.

- will edit if i think of more things -
Old 08-15-2017, 10:14 AM   #3
Rookie

I would love to have custom rosters. I'm always a center and would love to match up against Shaq, Ewing, Yao, Mutombo and more.
Old 08-15-2017, 10:22 AM   #4
Banned

I think the story this year will definitely have some aspects of decision making that will lead to slightly different stories across an ultimately linear path. I'm pretty sure they said last year that career mode would have decisions that affect your path (although I could be recounting this incorrectly) so I'm pretty sure that will be in the game this year; even 2k14 had the agent choice which affected which shoe deals it was possible to earn.

I actually like the story aspects of career mode, even though 16 was horrendous, and 17 was just a bit broken overall; things like getting the rookie-wall cutscenes in November and the girlfriend stuff being out of sync.

College for me is the worst part of the mode, because I'll generally always create a few different players and it gets tiresome real quick having to replay it all again, so I'd like a few options after a first run through of things like:

Begin new career mode (where you run through the whole thing again)
Begin new career mode with a previous draft position (where you get to pick one of the draft positions you've already achieved.
Begin career mode random (where the computer randomly picks 1-60 - this could also work as 2k's first foray into myplayers being 2nd round draft picks).
Old 08-15-2017, 10:42 AM   #5
Rookie

Something that I would like to see is updating rosters throughout the season. Have a option as to whether to have it on or not. Roster changes in real life, happens in the game, unless for storyline reasons. Every year I end up starting over because the rosters feel outdated or the trades are horrendous.

I've also been thinking about social media responses like isdatyt suggested. The frustration of someone trolling you for losing after putting up like 40 12 and 14 with a A+ teammate grade and not being able to respond? Man o man. I know it's a video game but I have to admit little stuff like that irks me.

Instead of starting out as a rookie, have us start out as a young vet coming back from injury. Guys from your draft class are cashing out with extensions but your team is skeptical of handing you one. Feeling snubbed and slighted your upcoming season is a showcase to show not only your team, but the 29 others that you're back and better than ever. At the end of the season, based on your choices throughout it, you become a free agent and can sign with any team that offers you a contract. Even your old squad if you worked things out with ownership and management. From here on out, keep the storyline fresh with different ideas.

Last edited by 804Scoe; 08-15-2017 at 10:44 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-15-2017, 11:28 AM   #6
Pro

Few things I really need are:

1. Custom rosters/Roster updating: I would love to have a custom roster that gives us the ability to insert legends or just put together a fun team you want to play on.

2. NO RATINGS CAPS: I understand the purpose of this is for the MyPark/online modes, but for those who have no interest in that, why can't we make a 99 all-around player if we want to? All they would need to do is implement ratings caps for each position/playing style when you take your MyCareer player online.

3. More GM/Player Interaction: I used to like how the GM would ask you which players your team should go after and being able to send messages to players after they added you, but have it make more of an impact to where they set up events with you like they did in 2K18 but have that mean something like they would be more inclined to join your team in the offseason

Last edited by cdub71323; 08-15-2017 at 11:31 AM.
Old 08-15-2017, 11:43 AM   #7
Pro

isdatyt's Arena

I want to build on you guys' suggestions a little more.

Speaking of roster updates, I'd love for there to be a rumor report for offseason or even mid-season. I'd like to be able to see what's going on around the league. Maybe I spend the first half of the year recruiting KD, but at All-Star it's revealed he doesn't plan on leaving GSW, do I double down at the risk of losing ground on other free agents, or do I move on forever wondering if I could have convinced him.

I'd like to see big buzz alerts for the league. Denver texted me twice a day, everyday just to come shoot around. My agent consistently tells me garbage I don't care about, yet nobody thought to notify me that Boogie Cousins got traded to the Cavs? That's unrealistic. He got traded to a team that was barely in contention for an 8th seed and it set the league on fire, you're telling me he goes to a team that's a lock for the Finals and I don't find out until the game starts? I know that's small, but that immersion is something simple that could make a huge difference.

I'd also like to bring back those visits to the coach/GM in his office, but with more options. Maybe I want to play the LeBron role and basically pick and choose my teammates, or maybe I just don't want a certain guy on my team. Am I worth that type of trouble or does the team decide that I'm the guy they need to get rid of. I really like that "locker room cancer" concept from above. I want a lot of things to affect it. Interviews, social media, meetings with the GM, accepting/denying team events, skipping practices, being a ball-hog in game, or just not performing well.

I want chemistry to be a big deal, for personality types to mesh and clash. Not all guys want to play with the GOAT. Did I get drafted to a team with a clear cut leader who isn't interested in not being "The Guy"? That should be a problem. Yeah PG is willing to play sidekick, but Kyrie has no interest in it, so when I emerge as a #1 option, a guy on my team like Kyrie should take exception to that and try to have you shipped out or demand a trade. Or maybe the opposite happens and guys get frustrated that I don't perform well enough. Like LeBron is known to get guys shipped out of town if they can't play a supporting role for him. Maybe you have certain metrics to abide by. If you can't shoot a certain percentage, LeBron stops passing to you and eventually looks to get you shipped out.

I really like that idea of complete control of your career. Maybe you mail it in, in an effort to get traded, but you end up somewhere you don't want to go. This can be prevented later in your career where you can negotiate an NTC. Maybe then you can hold a team hostage a la Melo.

I'd also like to see contract options like mentioned above. I would love to know what exactly the "Max" is, especially since there is an achievement/trophy tied to earning a max deal, but maybe, I wanna bring my off-court friends to the team, or me and 2 stars are looking to team up so I have to take a paycut. This could be a simple multiple choice screen. Your GM brings you in and gives you the following options.

A: Take the max
B: Take a paycut to bring in Paul George
X: Take a larger cut to bring in PG & Boogie
Y: Take a paycut to bring in Boogie

Of course each has it's own set of reactions/consequences. Either take the max and have Boogie & PG hate you. Take one of them and the left out guy hates you. Take both and the league hates you because creating a Super Team makes you the villains of the NBA.
Old 08-15-2017, 11:44 AM   #8
MVP

MontanaMan's Arena

I want input with management when it comes to building a roster around me.

Ability to target specific players, or ask players to join me in free agency to make a super team.

At very minimum the ability to see the roster you'll be playing with when you sign to a new team.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »