Home

NBA Live 18: Here's What You Need to Know

This is a discussion on NBA Live 18: Here's What You Need to Know within the NBA Live forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-29-2017, 02:14 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
NBA Live 18: Here's What You Need to Know

Now that we're over a week past release date, you may still be on the fence...

Written By: Brandon Kosal

Click here to view the article.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-29-2017, 03:32 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Brandon, thanks for the review. But NBA Live 18 doesn't need praise. The EA team and devs have shown no interest in informing those who shelled out $60+ (on faith) believing that they were getting a complete product. I am an everyday reader of OS and have not missed visiting the site daily for years, and I rarely ever make my voice heard... Lately, I visit the Forum daily to see if there's any news regarding NBA Live 18 roster UPDATES and -- there's nothing to report. I really want NBA Live to success because I love the gameplay and visuals, but I also want the ROSTER updated before I dive in further. I bought NBA 2K 18 along with NBA Live 18, and in1 to 2 more days, I will decide if NBA Live 18 goes on eBay so I can recoup some money. I can not use it if there is no roster update. Please, Brandon, OS, don't let NBA Live 18 team off the hook for their incredibly poor customer support.
Old 09-29-2017, 03:32 PM   #3
MVP

DBMcGee3's Arena

OVR: 7
I'm having a blast with the game, although I'm really struggling to make jumpers on the higher difficulty levels, where there seems to be little or no room for error with the shot meter.* What I love about Live is that the controls are so responsive.* I never feel like I can't control what my guy is doing, and there's never any latent or unregistered inputs like I have experienced with 2k.* The 1v1 interactions are fantastic and as a result I find defense to be really fun and engaging.

Hopefully they continue to patch the game, I've been happy with what they've accomplished so far.* I would really like to be able to use the street courts for other modes than 'The One' (Rucker Park scrimmage/shootaround anyone?), and I feel like there's definitely miles of improvement they could make to the passing game, but overall I'm really enjoying my experience, even more so knowing it only cost me $40 and the game isn't "pay to do everything" like some other games.* It's pretty fun playing against the CPU as well, I'm liking the AI so far.
Old 09-29-2017, 06:24 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 19
I can see younger kids/teens enjoying Live more than 2k.* anyone who's looking for a deep, game of ball, with the in's and outs of basketball strategy, this isn the game for you. you will get bored very quickly.**** I played it a few times at a relatives house and that was enough for me.*** not saying its a* bad game, just wont be challenging or* deep enough for my tastes in the long run.*
Old 09-29-2017, 06:41 PM   #5
Rookie

Re: NBA Live 18: Here's What You Need to Know

Quote:
Originally Posted by tril
I can see younger kids/teens enjoying Live more than 2k.* anyone who's looking for a deep, game of ball, with the in's and outs of basketball strategy, this isn the game for you. you will get bored very quickly.**** I played it a few times at a relatives house and that was enough for me.*** not saying its a* bad game, just wont be challenging or* deep enough for my tastes in the long run.*
your literally saying its a bad game lol
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-29-2017, 07:07 PM   #6
Rookie

Re: NBA Live 18: Here's What You Need to Know

Quote:
There are some drawbacks, though. Plays at the rim, whether it’s a dunk or a jump hook, feel canned and pre-determined, leaving you with little control.
I disagree with this.

Most animations have various outcomes.

For example, most animations have a no contact playout and also one that changes if you get bumped. The shots going in or missing are not pre-determined based on the animation either. Likewise, foul calls.

On top of that, you can also press shoot mid shot to change 'most' of the shot animations into double clutches or other unnatural shots.

Still a nice write-up and great to see the game getting praise and being enjoyed, despite its shortcomings.
Old 09-29-2017, 09:02 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 3
I've been very happy with the game. With some slider adjustments, it plays very well. I was hesitant to pre order it but the 40 dollar price point was a kicker for me. Its the first time since 2010 I have had 2 good basketball titles. Admittedly I am playing Live for The One and couch co-op and 2K for Association but with a trade in or a sale, I think both are very good purchases.*
Old 09-29-2017, 09:20 PM   #8
MVP

Gramps91's Arena

OVR: 22
I'm pretty happy with it and hope they continue to work and make progress on this build in future years. The roster updates definitely need to be sooner though.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live »