Home

What could a different NFL Commish mean for Madden?

This is a discussion on What could a different NFL Commish mean for Madden? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-17-2017, 09:05 PM   #1
MVP

Toupal's Arena

OVR: 0
What could a different NFL Commish mean for Madden?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...l-commissioner

A lot has changed in the NFL since September 1st, 2006. The day Roger Goodell assumed the role as NFL commissioner. Goodell has definitely had his great moments as well as his negative moments, such as:

-The NFL has seen no expansion
-Los Angeles gained two teams at the expense of San Diego and St. Louis
-Various Discipline Scandals
-A bigger emphasis on revenues
-Push to expand fandom (International Games, harder push in marketing to females, etc.)

With the business minded Goodell leading the charge of the NFL, it is likely that exclusive rights amongst the NFL and companies is here to stay for awhile.

The NFL has put their own restrictions on Madden since Goodell has taken charge. Things such as:

https://www.si.com/extra-mustard/201...res-nfl-remove
-Infamously the concussion scandal, and the NFL covering the problem had EA eliminate concussions completely from the game
-Dynamic Crowd... If your team sucks, you will still sell out every game

However, if he were to be replaced by Adam Silver (or anyone else for that matter), what could that mean to the NFL, and the future of football games? Does the NFL commissioner even mean anything to the future of Madden?

I'd like to hear the communities thoughts on this
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-17-2017, 09:46 PM   #2
Rookie

Re: What could a different NFL Commish mean for Madden?

Silver has clearly stated he has no interest but it will be interesting to see how this plays out. I know the NFL is in a predicament here; Let's be realistic, Goodell has put a lot of money in the owner's pockets and one of his strongest attributes is his negotiating ability (Think CBA folks). Losing Goodell could potentially hurt them in the long run if they lose that strength.

I know Jerry Jones is supposed to be heavily involved in this (trying to get him out) but I find some of the reasons hard to believe. The allegations this has to do with Elliot's suspension I find it hard to believe. I am unable to imagine that Jones would be so petty, especially considering how well the league has done financially under Goodell's tenure.

I think the NFL is just having a tough year. Primarily the product isn't as good as it used to be. Most of us don't know what we are watching anymore, it doesn't look like the football we grew up watching and playing. In addition, the National Anthem protest have hurt the game because they have illustrated how deep the divisions truly are within our society. I think Jones and other owners probably take more issue with Goodell allowing these protests to continue. Just look at Papa John's absolutely stupid actions and how that has affected them (look at how they've walked back those original statements as well). That CEO is good friends with Jerry Jones (Jerry Jones has even financially invested in Papa Johns), who is close with President Trump.

I think a strong commissioner with vision will probably keep the status quo in this area (madden). I could see a weaker commissioner failing to do this for a variety of reasons, but I don't see the 32 owners making the mistake of hiring a weak commissioner.

Now if I'm just going to dream, I would pine for a commissioner that would offer the full license out and charge any company heavily for it without it being an "exclusive". EA is going to pay what they have to pay for it, Madden is just too important. I don't think the NFL has to work with EA and I think they have enough resources to hold multiple companies accountable to control their image within that product.
Old 11-17-2017, 09:54 PM   #3
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

I am pretty sure it falls under another committee at the moment.

Thunder is correct, the NFL is all about the money and lining the owners pockets. I don't see any changes coming with a new regime.

As I've stated at other times in different threads, the NFL isn't going to magically blow up their successful business model that Goodell has put forth.

If it ain't broke..........
Old 11-17-2017, 09:57 PM   #4
Rookie

SyncereBlackout's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toupal
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...l-commissioner

A lot has changed in the NFL since September 1st, 2006. The day Roger Goodell assumed the role as NFL commissioner. Goodell has definitely had his great moments as well as his negative moments, such as:

-The NFL has seen no expansion

-Los Angeles gained two teams at the expense of San Diego and St. Louis

-Various Discipline Scandals

-A bigger emphasis on revenues

-Push to expand fandom (International Games, harder push in marketing to females, etc.)

With the business minded Goodell leading the charge of the NFL, it is likely that exclusive rights amongst the NFL and companies is here to stay for awhile.

The NFL has put their own restrictions on Madden since Goodell has taken charge. Things such as:

https://www.si.com/extra-mustard/201...res-nfl-remove

-Infamously the concussion scandal, and the NFL covering the problem had EA eliminate concussions completely from the game

-Dynamic Crowd... If your team sucks, you will still sell out every game

However, if he were to be replaced by Adam Silver (or anyone else for that matter), what could that mean to the NFL, and the future of football games? Does the NFL commissioner even mean anything to the future of Madden?

I'd like to hear the communities thoughts on this

Yes the commissioner and the direction he tells the owners he wants the league to go will have an impact on madden.

I don’t find those moments to be “negative”

-The NFL has seen no expansion -> adding more teams isn’t a good thing if the stadiums are expensive to build and are empty.

-Los Angeles gained two teams at the expense of San Diego and St. Louis -> I’ve been to StL and think anything that can get out should run.

-Various Discipline Scandals -> hasn’t this always happened we just didn’t hear about it as much. News, internet etc didn’t exist when Michael Irvin would have been a TMZ icon

-A bigger emphasis on revenues -> again this is as its always been

-Push to expand fandom (International Games, harder push in marketing to females, etc.) -> NFL Europe was Paul’s plan. There was interest. Not enough to support a team. But enough interest to play a few games there.

Point is that the commissioner has a plan. https://www.si.com/nfl/2016/08/04/ro...abor-agreementIf the owners buy in, then the plan is executed. Roger’s plan included making personalities of model players, appealing to families (women’s nfl shop), getting more kids into the game (play 60), etc.

As far as madden goes to sell the dream that everyone loves the nfl, we can’t have empty stadiums. Why would they be empty. Fans are die hard and show up no matter what. Lol

Concussion? What concession. The game is safe. Everyone should play.

If the next commissioner has a different plan for increasing revenues. One that relies less on image and perception of safety or encouraging players to be personalities, then we could see some changes in madden in our favor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NY Jets
NY Yankees
NY Rangers
Florida Gators
Old 11-17-2017, 10:43 PM   #5
MVP

prey2god's Arena

A new commissioner is good for the NFL. He had a good run and one cannot say he did not earn his stripes, but sometimes when the business model goes stale, you got to put in a new face with new ideas to keep the business running smooth. This is not what Goodell is. His idea is, it's either my way or the highway.

Maybe with a new Commish, NFL will think about increasing the license fee to use the NFL by ten fold to a King's ransom, instead of the measly 50 mill or so rumored it makes.

Perhaps having open competition will rake in much more money and if they were smart, include royalties to the NFL. Madden is a multi billion dollar franchise. It only makes sense to open the competition and/or make EA really pay for the license. Or at least have some sort of RFP
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-18-2017, 06:27 PM   #6
Rookie

A new Commish might mean giving more than one company access to making video game products that represent Nfl
Old 11-18-2017, 10:11 PM   #7
Pro

JayCutlersCig's Arena

It seems like Goodell has tried to redeem himself: the International Series and the return of celebrations come to my mind. From what I hear, he’s asking *way* too much.

I was listening to a radio show and he wants an extra $5 mil, use of a private jet for life, insurance for his family for life, and other life-long perks. As a fan, I want Goodell gone. I just don’t think he’s good for the sport as a whole. As a gamer, I also want him gone, considering all of the “immersion factors” that he had removed from previous games. Helmets popping off, the ambulance, concussions, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 11-19-2017, 08:49 AM   #8
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCutlersCig
It seems like Goodell has tried to redeem himself: the International Series and the return of celebrations come to my mind. From what I hear, he’s asking *way* too much.

I was listening to a radio show and he wants an extra $5 mil, use of a private jet for life, insurance for his family for life, and other life-long perks. As a fan, I want Goodell gone. I just don’t think he’s good for the sport as a whole. As a gamer, I also want him gone, considering all of the “immersion factors” that he had removed from previous games. Helmets popping off, the ambulance, concussions, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
I think Goodell has done his job well. His job is to make sure the 32 owners are happy, we as fans do not come first.

One thing I wish the NFL would do differently is treat the game more like Boxing or MMA. I know that would discourage youth participation, but I think Americans for the most part understand the inherent risks now and accept those when they allow their children to participate. The game has a %100 injury rate, it's impossible to avoid. Let's stop pretending the game is safe and instead use those resources to find better ways to protect these guys and our children from the dangers of the game.

I think Goodell has tried to keep the image of the game clean, and I think it's backfired in the long run. People make excuses for the decline in fan interest (Anthem protest, Ticket prices, Player misconduct, etc.), but I just point out how different the game is from how it was 10 years ago. Some of the "targeting" penalties I saw early in the year were spectacularly confusing to me. I didn't know what I was watching because it didn't look like Football.

At the end of the day I still think it would be a mistake for the League to let Goodell go, but I'm sure the 32 billionaires in the league know some other spectacular lawyers that can do the job just as well.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »