Home

Directional hitting only: after the patch

This is a discussion on Directional hitting only: after the patch within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-02-2018, 11:09 AM   #1
MVP

Therebelyell626's Arena

OVR: 0

I gave it about a 20 game sample size before formulating an opinion, so I don't feel I am jumping to conclusions here.

Since the patch to increase pitch speeds I feel like directional hitting has been off. The weekend of early release it felt pretty solid but since the patch to fix the pitch speed problems the results just do not match the swing feedback.

Power hits: Some of the things I am noticing is that pulled balls just have no power whatsoever. I know this was a problem with '17 but during early release week this felt like they got it right. Since the patch to fix pitch speeds I have noticed my highest exit velocities and home runs distances are going either to dead center or opposite field, while pulled hits just seem to float or be hit softly.

Grounders: prior to patch I was noticing a lot more hit variety on grounders. Some were getting through, some were right to defenders, and some were 50/50 balls gobbled up by the better fielders or botched by lesser fielders. Since patch I feel like the majority of ground balls are being hit right at defenders.

My theory on this is that they did not tune the hitting to match the increased pitch speeds. I do not understand how development works but I find it to be a completely reasonable assumption that changing one part of the game can effect another.

Hitting just felt so much better before the patch and now it feels closer to '17 then it did before. The point of this post is to be constructive, and I am interested in directional hitting users chiming in and giving feedback on how they feel the hitting mechanics are working now as opposed to before the patch?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-02-2018, 11:14 AM   #2
MVP

MrArlingtonBeach's Arena

OVR: 11
Re: Directional hitting only: after the patch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therebelyell626
I gave it about a 20 game sample size before formulating an opinion, so I don't feel I am jumping to conclusions here.

Since the patch to increase pitch speeds I feel like directional hitting has been off. The weekend of early release it felt pretty solid but since the patch to fix the pitch speed problems the results just do not match the swing feedback.

Power hits: Some of the things I am noticing is that pulled balls just have no power whatsoever. I know this was a problem with '17 but during early release week this felt like they got it right. Since the patch to fix pitch speeds I have noticed my highest exit velocities and home runs distances are going either to dead center or opposite field, while pulled hits just seem to float or be hit softly.

Grounders: prior to patch I was noticing a lot more hit variety on grounders. Some were getting through, some were right to defenders, and some were 50/50 balls gobbled up by the better fielders or botched by lesser fielders. Since patch I feel like the majority of ground balls are being hit right at defenders.

My theory on this is that they did not tune the hitting to match the increased pitch speeds. I do not understand how development works but I find it to be a completely reasonable assumption that changing one part of the game can effect another.

Hitting just felt so much better before the patch and now it feels closer to '17 then it did before. The point of this post is to be constructive, and I am interested in directional hitting users chiming in and giving feedback on how they feel the hitting mechanics are working now as opposed to before the patch?
Interesting...I use directional hitting, and in my RttS post-patch, I have hit 430-foot-plus homers to left center and down the left field line with my right-handed batter. I occasionally use the power swing button, but about 90% of the time, I use X for normal swings.

I still see a variety of ground balls as well...some seeing-eye singles, choppers, and rocket shots. So I cannot say that I am seeing any negative effects from the patch.

Last edited by MrArlingtonBeach; 04-02-2018 at 11:25 AM.
Old 04-02-2018, 11:19 AM   #3
Pro

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therebelyell626

Interesting theory. I never really considered it, I swing with X anyway, but did notice when using Power swing I felt as if I had swung through the ball a time or 2 and it looked as if the game had a slight hiccup. Cant say for sure as I just assumed I whiffed.
Old 04-02-2018, 11:48 AM   #4
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5

Easy fix if playing offline modes, drop your pitch speed sliders a notch or two.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 04-02-2018, 12:11 PM   #5
MVP

Therebelyell626's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshC1977
Easy fix if playing offline modes, drop your pitch speed sliders a notch or two.

Pitch speed isn't the problems though. I have already adjusted post patch. The problem is my results are not matching my feedback. Where as I am getting good timing with the ball on the barrel of the bat (according to the animation), I am just not seeing he hit variety I was prior to the patch. Don't get me wrong I am actually having great success hitting post patch. My point Is more to gauge if anyone felt like it was better before they made the adjustment to pitch speed
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-02-2018, 12:15 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 2

I use Directional hitting with my RTTS character and I am still getting sufficient base hits to maintain a similar batting average after the latest patch was applied. But it seems like I am not getting as as much solid contact with the barrel of the bat as I was pre-patch. Now my RTTS character only has his contact attributes set at about 60 and his power at 40. So he's still very much in development. Now I also upped the difficulty from "Veteran" to "All Star" to "Hall of Fame" and back down to "All Star". I would like in the long run to be using the HoF difficulty, but for now until I can figure out where the sweet spot is where I can continue his progression without gaming the system with unrealistic results, I will stay at "All Star". Too many changes to nail down exactly what has changed in my games. But it could be the release if people are seeing similar results.

PS: I pretty much stay away from the Power swing in my games as I figure my RTTS character is not ready to be swinging for the fences. He has 2 HRs in his 13 game AA career, but those 2 big flies came before the latest patch and were not hit with the power swing.
Old 04-02-2018, 12:47 PM   #7
Rookie

The new feedback is pretty good but I don’t see how anyone could rely on that to help them make adjustments. To me it’s much better to go by feel. You know when you’ve missed a pitch.

I personally don’t think too much about what I am seeing. There is no way to confirm that anything has changed and even if it has, there is nothing you can do about it.

It’s baseball. There is often no rhyme or reason to what happens. Don’t try to figure everything out.

Old 04-02-2018, 01:18 PM   #8
MVP

Therebelyell626's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidBream
The new feedback is pretty good but I don’t see how anyone could rely on that to help them make adjustments. To me it’s much better to go by feel. You know when you’ve missed a pitch.

I personally don’t think too much about what I am seeing. There is no way to confirm that anything has changed and even if it has, there is nothing you can do about it.

It’s baseball. There is often no rhyme or reason to what happens. Don’t try to figure everything out.

I totally agree. But pre patch the ones I felt I timed perfect and really turned on launched off the bat. Now they seem to kind of just float. So far the majority seems to think it's fine and it's all in my head. So I guess it's a non issue and I will proceed forward

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »