Home

A boxing game is a Fighting game to a Casual fan

This is a discussion on A boxing game is a Fighting game to a Casual fan within the Boxing forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Boxing
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Do You Think Fans see a Boxing Videogame as a Fighting Game?
Yes 4 44.44%
No 3 33.33%
Many Don't Care 2 22.22%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-23-2018, 01:31 AM   #1
MVP

OVR: 39
A boxing game is a Fighting game to a Casual fan

To casual fans boxing is a fighting game. Many times they don't care about major fighters or names. They go by the most effective to their use. Popular comes into play sometime but it's not major with fighting games. What major star does a fighting game need to sell games, none!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-23-2018, 11:04 AM   #2
Run After Catch

OVR: 13
Re: A boxing game is a Fighting game to a Casual fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHAKYR
To casual fans boxing is a fighting game. Many times they don't care about major fighters or names. They go by the most effective to their use. Popular comes into play sometime but it's not major with fighting games. What major star does a fighting game need to sell games, none!
I voted yes, but my suspicion is it’s actually a bit broader than mass market players seeing it as a fighting game vs. a boxing game. I think there’s an important a distinction to make here when we are talking about who these gamers are. The people I think you’re talking about aren’t necessarily casual in the gaming sense, though some may be casual fans of boxing or not even watch boxing at all, aside from having some cursory knowledge of the sport.

These gamers care far more about what’s the best gaming experience than anything else. For the best kinds of games, the genre only matters so much. Someone might not play fighting games because they aren’t a core fan of that genre but could buy the fighting game that provides a more entertaining experience than other options that are available to them.

To me, when it comes to boxing Fight Night Round 3 is the appropriate example to reference. It came at a time when there was a new console that was in need of great games. Visually it was like nothing else out there. The gameplay was compelling and it was a game you could play socially with friends. On top of that, game demos on console were a new thing and this was a game that had an incredible demo experience.

I don’t know if the stars will line up any time soon like that for a boxing game (maybe we’ll get lucky), but I also don’t think a boxing game needs to be a 5MM+ seller to be successful. There are all sorts of models today that can work and they don’t necessarily need to come from a major publisher. That mass market gamer might not be needed to get the game a lot of us would like to play.
Old 05-24-2018, 01:42 AM   #3
MVP

sheredia's Arena

OVR: 12

if a lacrosse and cricket game can get made, so can a boxing game i would think....if there is a market for these games, then there certainly is for boxing. you have so many options too. you could use the creed/rocky movie license, olympic boxing, golden gloves, etc. you don't necessarily need pro licensed fighters in the game (although a few would be nice) if there is a robust create-a-boxer feature. we can always create our own. yes, boxing is a fighting game in nature, but with a strategy involved with monitoring punches and fatigue.
Old 05-24-2018, 01:22 PM   #4
Rookie

WhoDatNinja's Arena

OVR: 0

Every street fighter/ fighting game player I know would never even entertain the thought of checking out a boxing game UNLESS they were actually also a boxing fan. In my experience, fans of fighting games view it as a SPORTS game, so if they don't do sports games its not in their realm.
Old 05-24-2018, 01:43 PM   #5
MVP

WarMMA's Arena

OVR: 0

I voted yes. It's true most casual fans see it as a fighting game i'd say, but popular names still help sell these type of games too. Like a FN game with Mayweather on the cover would sell more than one with say Crawford on the cover just cuz Mayweather is a more known household name. Not that it's really needed, but the companies like to have the big names to boost sales and get more profit which is understandable.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-24-2018, 02:03 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDatNinja
Every street fighter/ fighting game player I know would never even entertain the thought of checking out a boxing game UNLESS they were actually also a boxing fan. In my experience, fans of fighting games view it as a SPORTS game, so if they don't do sports games its not in their realm.
I did research on various gaming sites in the past and most gamers do see it as just a fighting game. Many buying the games of word of mouth or hype too. Many don't let the cover make their decision on whether to buy or not.

Last edited by SHAKYR; 05-24-2018 at 02:06 PM.
Old 05-24-2018, 03:28 PM   #7
MVP

sva91's Arena

OVR: 10

I think a lot of it comes down to credibility. If EA Sports makes a game with few fighters gamers will give a chance because EA has credibility regarding boxing games. If some other company outside of maybe 2k or SDS comes out with a boxing game without big names, I don’t think many ppl will buy into it. Word of mouth in social media age is big though, so that helps.

At this point, 7 years removed from fnc, I think fans will give anything a shot. Had ea come out with a new FN a couple years after FNC with half the roster cut, then fans wouldn’t go for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Boxing »