Home

How Future Golf Titles Can Learn From Rory McIlroy PGA Tour's Mistakes

This is a discussion on How Future Golf Titles Can Learn From Rory McIlroy PGA Tour's Mistakes within the Golf forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-25-2018, 10:50 AM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
How Future Golf Titles Can Learn From Rory McIlroy PGA Tour's Mistakes

This July marks a full three years since EA released its most recent entry in its...

Written By: Elliott Jenkins

Click here to view the article.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-25-2018, 11:17 AM   #2
Pro

OVR: 33
The frustrating thing is that EA’s last Tiger Woods game on the previous generation of consoles was pretty solid. I particularly enjoyed the Quick Tournament mode where the 1st 54 holes were simulated & you played the final round only. It was an interesting idea & it was a good way of playing against a full field of players.
Golf Club is a go to game for online players but for those like myself who play exclusively offline there’s little attraction as you’re unable *to compete with or play as actual pros.
Old 06-25-2018, 12:07 PM   #3
Pro

OVR: 5
Re: How Future Golf Titles Can Learn From Rory McIlroy PGA Tour's Mistakes

I just want a game that has a full multiplayer season/career mode.
Old 06-25-2018, 12:25 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 11
Re: How Future Golf Titles Can Learn From Rory McIlroy PGA Tour's Mistakes

Quote:
Rory McIlroy gave players a very odd Pro Mode wherein created golfers were thrust into a seemingly endless gauntlet of radiant and randomly generated tournaments that prevented players from even playing the full 18 holes until they reached a major tournament.
Not an accurate statement. By default the game simmed your Career rounds letting you play the final few holes of a tournament.

However, there is a setting in the CM interface that you could disable the quick play feature and play every hole of every round in Career Mode. That is the first thing I changed when I began CM.

Agree that Career Mode was a grind in RM. Mostly due to lack of courses and other PGA TOUR specific content that TW14 had in spades.

Xbox One Elite Controller

The Golf Club 2
Old 06-25-2018, 12:27 PM   #5
Rookie

sphinxnole's Arena

OVR: 1
I agree with threatonnature, I would love to have a multiple player career mode.
I just want to be able to sit on the couch with wifey & the kids & play a career mode over multiple seasons.
Sure I have friends I would enjoy playing online, but I remember me & my boys sitting on the couch on a weekend and running through a season & bragging about wins & money earned over a season or career.
Those PS 2 games were AMAZING. But just like Madden with the jump to PS3 a lot of features were dropped .
It’s sad that EA’s sports games heyday was 2 cons9le generations ago...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-25-2018, 12:30 PM   #6
Rookie

TheFurizzlyBear's Arena

OVR: 0
I feel like I might be crazy but there seem to be some inaccuracies with this article.
"It was met with understandably mediocre reviews when it was released as a fully priced DLC-plagued reduction of features. However, a recent PSN sale dropped the price to a paltry $5 (with all previous DLC no less), making it a reasonable temptation for the golf-hungry gaming community."

I am 99.9% positive they never sold any DLC for this game. All the courses were free updates as they came out so of course they were included with the game when you bought it at any point.

"Rory McIlroy gave players a very odd Pro Mode wherein created golfers were thrust into a seemingly endless gauntlet of radiant and randomly generated tournaments that prevented players from even playing the full 18 holes until they reached a major tournament."

They didn't prevent you from playing the full 18 holes outside the majors. It was a setting you could flip so you had the option of playing as much or as little as you wanted. It would of made more sense in a game with a lot more courses but they did not prevent you from playing the full weekend if you wanted too.*

The game has plenty of problems, mainly lack of content but no need to bash the game for things it did not do.

Last edited by TheFurizzlyBear; 06-25-2018 at 12:34 PM.
Old 06-25-2018, 01:16 PM   #7
Rookie

Would like to see all the courses used on the PGA Tour in a given season plus probably a few extra courses.* That way the US Open, British Open and PGA Championship can be rotated among different courses.* Unlike The Masters which is always at August National (BTW, a must have for any future PGA title).
Old 06-25-2018, 04:19 PM   #8
Rookie

Rory McIlroy pga had the potential to be a great game* with the physics, gameplay and the framerate. This game was straw that broke the camels back for me. After years of repeated disappointment and horrible products. I will never purchase another EA game. Their only interest is satisfying the microtransaction crowd. Their games are below average at best.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf »